English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 15 February 2016, 18:39   #1
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Question it's a sin

Hi,

I am a "new old" EAB member (circa 2005-2008) who immensely enjoyed gaming and swapping on old machines and consoles since my youth. As a teenager, the floppy-equipped CPC and its legitimate boxed hits were king in my room, even at the expense of girls (I did organize parties "boum's", though).

I have been using various emulators and specifically MAME and WinUAE for many years, and well, I am relatively glad with it so far. Some folks say it's a sin not to own the actual hardware. Is it ? While I am not too sure about that, I might get myself a beefed up miggy if I move to a bigger house, win a lotto ticket or similar cheerful event!

At least, I proudly display everything retro related on a CRT (19" from ViewSonic)! I am not too familiar with the Amiga internals yet, but have been practicing overclocking, fixing and upgrading my own stuff, tinkering with Powerstrip, milking an e-mule and similar rogue activities for some time now.

What more can be said about me ?
People say I am the loyal, passionate, outgoing and sweet kind.
I don't drink, I don't smoke but
I like jazz but also 80s'ish pop music, smiling to my non-smiling neighbors, wearing my new hat, watching genre and B-grade movies, and don't mind re-watching a few blockbusters and classics such as Total Recall, The Rocky Horror Picture Show or Blade Runner. You're welcome to have a taste in PM, but please keep your distance, or the missus could overreact haha.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 18 February 2016 at 05:11.
Old 15 February 2016, 23:10   #2
seuden
uber cool demi god

Great intro! Welcome!
Old 17 February 2016, 23:26   #3
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Thanks. Maybe I should clarify this once ubiquitous notion of swapping. Back in the days, cracked games used to spread through BBS but also during so called "copy parties". I had a few friends and pen mates who were more or less introduced to the scene, and that's how I bought gallons (not gallons, but quite a few) of cheap blank floppies for my A500 and for some other's fancy... In 1993 (or was it 1994 ?), I got tired with it and the shameful lack of hardware additions. Four years later I was gathering components for PC gaming on a Pentium II PeeCee.
Played on the Playstation One afterwards, and extensively on the N64 too.

Favorite platformer : Black Tiger, most impressive maze title : Marble Madness
favorite schmup : R-Type II, favorite exploration in isometric view : Get Dexter
Adventure / action : Rocket Ranger, Name challenging side scroller ? Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, space sim : Infogrames' I-War
team sports : Speedball II ~ Brutal Deluxe, old school 2D exploration : l'Aigle d'Or (Thomson and CPC versions) deserves a mention for its sheer simplicity.

A word to the gifted, most active coders, sceners and such if I may :
Byte-by-byte game preservation, analyzing games mechanisms and disassembling their assets, all this is great.
That said, actual retrogaming by the masses, on dusty PCs bearing too wide LCD's is mostly what's it's all about,
when all said and done (playing old computer games when one is up to it
beats grabbing its PSP when bored with (current) next gen Prince of Persia IMHO,
or even watching longplay after longplay).

That's all, folks!

Last edited by SquawkBox; 04 March 2016 at 10:00.