English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 October 2014, 00:03   #41
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Sorry for the misunderstanding there. I'll get your Disks sent tomorrow as I said. (They're packed and ready to go)

I hope you get your head round this, it's not too bad once you figure it out.

If you can get an accurate size of the CF just drop me a PM.

In the mean time, Good Luck
Old 20 October 2014, 13:41   #42
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@Kola,

I've sent you a full set of Workbench 3.1 Disks, they went today first class so hopefully you get them in the next couple of days.

You should be able to install Workbench straight to your CF with the Disks or at least prepare it with the Install Disk/HDToolbox and carry on in UAE.

The only caveat is that not all Disks work on drives that they were not written on due to head alignment, age of media and age of drives, however fingers crossed you're ok!

Good luck.

Steve.

ps. I know you said you have 3.0 Roms, but don't worry WB3.1 will be fine
Old 20 October 2014, 22:52   #43
Kola

Hi Steve.

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding there.
No worries mate, I know you get some rude people on forums. Keyboard Warriors I like to call them. Wouldn't say boo to an old lady at a bus stop but they get all brave when there sipping coco insulting people over the internet.

I assure you I am not one of these. But I can understand why people can get the wrong idea. I am quite outspoken as a person in reality. But never rude. Sometimes without the non verbal communication the line seems to blur.

Anyhow, I would hate to be on the wrong side of yourself or anyone on this board. It is a great help to me and a nice friendly place.

Pleased were sorted now.

Im very thankful you posted me that disc. Thats awesome. As said I don't mind pay-pal-ing you your costs and such.

Quote:
You should be able to install Workbench straight to your CF with the Disks or at least prepare it with the Install Disk/HDToolbox and carry on in UAE.
I think this will make far more sense in my brain anyhow. WinUAE is my confusion seemingly.

Quote:
The only caveat is that not all Disks work on drives that they were not written on due to head alignment, age of media and age of drives, however fingers crossed you're ok!
Yeah I guessed as much. Being a musician from the days of tape it was always a challenge making an audio cassette sound good on different decks. Often we used to choose average all around rather than great on on set up and poor on another. ha, how easy is things these days by comparison? Cant help but think somewhere alone the line we lost something though.

Ill shout up when the disk comes, thanks in advance.
Old 21 October 2014, 08:45   #44
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
It's worth noting that once you format the card for Amiga WB use, you can't mount it on the PC unless you use WinUAE or AROS.
Or Linux, if it's FFS-formatted.
Old 21 October 2014, 11:07   #45
Kola

Hewitson / Arnie

Ill worry about that when I finally get that far haha.
Old 21 October 2014, 12:02   #46
Kola

Hi Steve,

Got the package. Wanted to publicly thank you. Top man. I wasn't expecting so many discs. Just the one I thought. Very thankful and greatly appreciated.

Sending you good Khama.
Old 21 October 2014, 12:08   #47
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Hi Steve,

Got the package. Wanted to publicly thank you. Top man. I wasn't expecting so many discs. Just the one I thought. Very thankful and greatly appreciated.

Sending you good Khama.
You're welcome mate, it's the full set of 3.1 so hopefully you should be able to perform the full install on your Amiga without needing to use the Emulator! I just keep my fingers crossed that the install can complete without errors on Disks or your drive... You can get cleaning Disk's, these are very useful, if you have one run it through.

If the install goes well and you want to update it to Better Workbench this can be done from floppy too, of course you need some way to get the ADF's on to the Amiga but this is much easier once you have workbench installed.

You can get an ADF transfer kit from Amigakit, EasyADF (or eBay have some other options)

Or you can hook up your Computer to your PC and transfer the files with WinUAE/FS-UAE which is much easier once you have prepared your CF already!

Good luck.

Steve.
Old 21 October 2014, 14:04   #48
Kola

Thank you Steve,

Yes I think ill make use of WinUAE once my CF card is set up. That seems much easier.

Ill update this thread if I get things working as a way of thanking everyone.

I wish all forums were as helpful.
Old 21 October 2014, 14:08   #49
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Sending good thought's your way
Old 21 October 2014, 14:16   #50
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

If you are bored and you want to try with WinUAE again you can try installing PFS3AIO as file system, as it is the best. http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=831346&postcount=14

Sometimes I've had problems like you and they have disappeared once installed PFS3.
Old 21 October 2014, 14:26   #51
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I don't see how installing PFS3 will solve his problem, it will just complicate matters further.

Also PFS3 and SFS tend to use a little more of your Ram and if you only have 2mb the 150-200k you can loose is very precious.

Keep it simple for now, experiment with these file systems once you get your head round the basic's.
Old 21 October 2014, 14:32   #52
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

You are true about the ram, but as I've said sometimes it has happened that I had made the partitions with another file system and after rebooting they weren't there. Changed the file system and everything ok. Maybe the brand of the CF or whatever, dunno.
Old 23 October 2014, 19:50   #53
Kola

Right, finally got some time to use Steves discs (Still buzzing how kind some people are. It elevates you for a while. Maybe there is hope for the human race…..)

Anyhow, I have exactly the same problem. Totally away from WinUAE, my 1200 will not see the CF drive fro the HDtools menu.

Is there any particular formatting I should use? IE FAT or whatever?
Old 23 October 2014, 20:29   #54
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You may have to get another CF card, I would recommend Kingston brand.

Fat formatting is used for the PCMCIA/CF adapters and Windows. To start off I would stick to the basics i.e. FastFileSystem (FFS) to get you going. Once you have mastered the CF HD basics then you can move on to SFS/PFS3 etc.

If you have the money spare then I would also recommend that you buy a CF card from Amigakit, they come pre formatted and just need the WB disks to activate.

Good Luck.
Old 23 October 2014, 20:45   #55
Kola

Im not working at the mo Arnie and every penny counts.

I just retried the videos from scratch and winUAE now does see my card?? No idea why.

But now I follow stoves video. partition the drives, reset that number thingy to 0x1FE00 or whatever 3 times for each partition and then hit save and it will not save to my CF card as it doesn't have administrator privileges? What the hell is that computer speak for?
Old 23 October 2014, 20:54   #56
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Maybe you have to open WinUAE with a right click and running as administrator? Just guessing because I don't need so.
Old 23 October 2014, 22:22   #57
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Anyhow, I have exactly the same problem. Totally away from WinUAE, my 1200 will not see the CF drive fro the HDtools menu.

Is there any particular formatting I should use? IE FAT or whatever?
You must first clean the partitioning information off the card, or WinUAE will not be able to partition the card correctly. If you have a Mac then you can use Disk Utility to do this. If you have a Windows PC you can use diskpart on the command line, and possibly also Disk Management via the control panel.

And like retrofan says, you must also run WinUAE with administrator privileges to allow full access to the card. (right click WinUAE, click Run as Administrator)
Old 23 October 2014, 22:33   #58
Kola

Hi guys, I've had enough for today.

I use a Mac and use Virtual box to emulate XP. On XP there is only one account and thats mine and its an administrators account.

Im ready to throw in the towel. Arnie has very kindly offered to do this for me. Just trying all options before I have to take him up on his offer. I wouldn't wish this on an enemy!
Old 24 October 2014, 02:46   #59
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Maybe the double emulation Mac-Windows-Amiga doesn't work. Or maybe you changed the Cf at first trying it on the Mac and now it needs to be cleaned.

Next time just follow Fitzsteve's guide with a brand new card on the miggy and you'll make it. Unfortunately now it's too late, so you'll have to pay a beer to Arnie to fix it

Last edited by Retrofan; 24 October 2014 at 02:53.
Old 24 October 2014, 10:17   #60
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Strange the CF isn't picked up on the Amiga, you're welcome to send it to me to look at - I wont charge you for any work.

Seems like you're making progress but as Retro says it might be that the emulation on the Mac side wont give you admin rights. You could try FS-UAE?

You do however, even with an administrator account need to right click and 'run as administrator' on WinUAE when setting up drives for the first time.