English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 December 2008, 17:41   #21
JuvUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
Doesn't matter as long as it doesn't host the files itself.

On a sitenote Atomic Cabbage [deleted lin - bippyM] is back up if anyone wants to help me pad out the database some more...
man i loved this site then ages ago it disappeared am i ever glad to see this back!!!! thankyou, thankyou, thankyou

Last edited by BippyM; 23 December 2008 at 23:53.
Old 21 December 2008, 17:47   #22
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
I think I'm gonna take AC back down, heh. If I'm catching this much flak from the "Amiga community" then I don't think there's much point.
Don't take it down, mate, just when you've got it back up. It's a great site. (Maybe that's the real problem! )
Old 21 December 2008, 18:26   #23
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
AndreasM. Your site is also "illegal" as you offer software on CD which is not public domain. Plenty of Amiga demos show quite clearly they are not to be considered public domain, and I very much doubt you have permission for them.

Not that I care, but since you are pointing fingers.
Old 21 December 2008, 18:42   #24
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

And by the way: The German law knows no "Public Domain". There is only the German "Urheberrecht", not really comparable with the US "Copyright".

In this case:

Every demo author holds automatically the full rights on his programme. The right never dies, it's only hereditable. There is no need for a rights info box or something. If you release/sell it without his permission it's indeed illegal.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 21 December 2008 at 19:08.
Old 21 December 2008, 19:26   #25
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
AndreasM. Your site is also "illegal" as you offer software on CD which is not public domain. Plenty of Amiga demos show quite clearly they are not to be considered public domain, and I very much doubt you have permission for them.

Not that I care, but since you are pointing fingers.
i think you mean the Scene Archive CD. We have a publishing-contract with Tony, Editor of the Scene Archives CD series.
Old 21 December 2008, 19:31   #26
DamienD
Banned

All "legal" discussions where moved here from this thread: Site list with ADFs

Last edited by DamienD; 21 December 2008 at 19:40.
Old 21 December 2008, 19:33   #27
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
And by the way: The German law knows no "Public Domain". There is only the German "Urheberrecht", not really comparable with the US "Copyright".
yes and no. the user can never loose his copyright, but he can make his software to public domain with the §31 UrhG.
Old 21 December 2008, 19:39   #28
BuZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
i think you mean the Scene Archive CD. We have a publishing-contract with Tony, Editor of the Scene Archives CD series.
You would need permission from the various artists work who is included on the CDs. It would be pretty unfeasible to be able to collect them (there are far too many people you would need to contact). I'm sure I can find some work on there from people I know. Demo Scene productions were often considered public domain but many state specifically they are not to be sold.

The thing is, people generally don't mind, but as you make life so hard for everyone else, it is important that you understand this.
Old 21 December 2008, 19:42   #29
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
yes and no. the user can never loose his copyright, but he can make his software to public domain with the §31 UrhG.
Nope, this is a right of use. This has nothing to do with the Public Domain declaration/meaning, which exists in the USA and other countries.
Old 21 December 2008, 19:44   #30
AndreasM

Quote:
Nope, this is a right of use. This has nothing to do with the Public Domain declaration/meaning, which exists in the USA and other countries.
i know. but in practise can the right holder make with the §31 his software as freeware.
Old 21 December 2008, 19:46   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

And if i'm picky enough i would say there is NO freeware in Germany. Right?

Old 21 December 2008, 19:47   #32
AndreasM

Quote:
You would need permission from the various artists work who is included on the CDs. It would be pretty unfeasible to be able to collect them (there are far too many people you would need to contact). I'm sure I can find some work on there from people I know. Demo Scene productions were often considered public domain but many state specifically they are not to be sold.
No. i need only the contract with tony. in the contract are written that tony have all permission what he need to make this cds.

Quote:
The thing is, people generally don't mind, but as you make life so hard for everyone else, it is important that you understand this.
i make only people the life hard when they make us trouble or damage. nothing more.
Old 21 December 2008, 19:49   #33
AndreasM

Quote:
And if i'm picky enough i would say there is NO freeware in Germany. Right?

you can give the things names what you like

with the §31 can the right holder say that the user can make what they like with his software.
Old 21 December 2008, 19:55   #34
BuZz

Quote:
No. i need only the contract with tony. in the contract are written that tony have all permission what he need to make this cds.
this is not true. That is like me making a CD with apc-tcp stuff and selling them to someone else who sells them. If I didn't have permission neither do they. Any contract with me would be invalid. Funny how you only seem to understand copyright when it is to do with your own software!

You surely understand that it is rather impossible that someone could get distribution rights for 16,000 amiga demos? of course one could assume that "most" are public domain. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you are intentionally "not understanding the point". What you are doing selling other peoples work, no matter how much you are selling it for, is no better or different from someone selling your work without permission.
Old 21 December 2008, 20:03   #35
AndreasM

Quote:
this is not true. That is like me making a CD with apc-tcp stuff and selling them to someone else who sells them. If I didn't have permission neither do they. Any contract with me would be invalid. Funny how you only seem to understand copyright when it is to do with your own software!
no. the same problem.

i can stop to selling the cd. thats all. thats the only problem what are have the seller.

all other things (damage, lawyer, police a.s.o.) are your problem. all this i must do with you and not with the seller.

sure... only when you have a correct contract with the seller with all possible coypright and permission §. when not, the seller have all problems.
Old 21 December 2008, 20:12   #36
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

So Tony, Editor of the Scene Archives CD series, gets all the trouble if anybody intend to sue? You lucky thing, heh?
Old 21 December 2008, 20:20   #37
BuZz

The thing that annoys me about all of this, is AndreasM is the first to send threats via email to anyone who hosts the old software he still sells, but can't admit there is a possibility (actually a likelihood) he himself is breaching copyright too.

But what did I expect anyway!

I shouldn't waste time with things like this! I got a Great Effects Development and APC-TCP torrent archive to sort out ;-)
Old 21 December 2008, 20:21   #38
BuZz

I got permission from great effects development to host all apc-tcp software. Please contact them if there are any copyright issues. Thanks!
Old 21 December 2008, 20:23   #39
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I got permission from great effects development to host all apc-tcp software. Please contact them if there are any copyright issues. Thanks!

Old 21 December 2008, 20:37   #40
AndreasM

Quote:
So Tony, Editor of the Scene Archives CD series, gets all the trouble if anybody intend to sue? You lucky thing, heh?
not really. make us trouble, too.

but we have the same contract with tony as with all other developer and artist there work for us.

i can not really check if the user make his work right for the money what he get.