English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 August 2003, 18:24   #21
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
To me nothing beats the original hardware for gaming, but lacking this hardware (or the space to set all of it up) an emulator is the next best thing.

There are also different levels of emulating. A console is preffered to a computer for emulating console games. The dreamcast is nice for playing ATARI 2600 games then the PC because it still uses a TV for output (pc's with tv output are not as good as far as I am concerned).

Has anybody ever played battlezone on an EMU that would come close to rivalling the feelling of looking through the viewfinder of the real machine? The only real way to play centipede is with the original roller ball. I guess if you never touched the originals then maybe an EMU is probably good enough.
Old 08 August 2003, 18:27   #22
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

Thou shall not lameulate, for it is mucho forbidden, and a disrespect to ye gods Sinclair, Miner et al
Hey Akira. What would you do if all real Amigas died and to play the games you HAD to emulate?

I know it would never happen but its just a whimsical theoretical question.

Would you give up amiga games?
Old 08 August 2003, 18:38   #23
fisken uno
Zone Friend

The answer is:

He would become a drunken bum, sitting in a streetcorner where he would preach the word of the long lost Amiga and tell the kiddies the tales of the ol' retrogaming days. Their mothers would warn them that if they got into those old computers they would turn out just like him. What a sad story...
Old 08 August 2003, 18:42   #24
Unknown_K

Akira would be too busy crying to the next generation about how apple went out of buisiness to even think about talking about amiga games.

BTW what are we going to do in 30+ years when all the capacitors in our amiga's dry out/rot and it dont boot anymore?
Old 08 August 2003, 18:47   #25
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by fisken uno
The answer is:

He would become a drunken bum, sitting in a streetcorner where he would preach the word of the long lost Amiga and tell the kiddies the tales of the ol' retrogaming days. Their mothers would warn them that if they got into those old computers they would turn out just like him. What a sad story...
So how would that be any different to how he is now?
Old 08 August 2003, 20:54   #26
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
So how would that be any different to how he is now?
Heh
Old 08 August 2003, 23:07   #27
rattus

/me gives a big hug to Akira

I don't care if they call you a raving madman. You're MY raving madman!
Old 08 August 2003, 23:14   #28
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by fisken uno
....tell the kiddies the tales of the ol' retrogaming days. Their mothers would warn them that if they got into those old computers they would turn out just like him. What a sad story...

Quote:
Originally posted by rattus
/me gives a big hug to Akira

I don't care if they call you a raving madman. You're MY raving madman!
Here we have proof!
Old 08 August 2003, 23:24   #29
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Yes, Akira and Rattus will sit in the street - both bearded and drunk - and preach about Judgement Day; The day when 3D gamers will die and 2D gamers will once again reign the earth!! And the kids will stare blankly at them and point their fingers at them behind their backs... May time have mercy on our poor amiga souls!
Old 09 August 2003, 01:32   #30
Amiga1992

Re: thread moved

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
"Nostalgia & memories" section is dedicated to the Amiga.
"Retrogaming general discussion" fits more the subject of the thread
Old 09 August 2003, 01:38   #31
Amiga1992

If the capacitors rot i will replace them
If all amigas disappear I'll preach on

I will NEVER use DPaint on a lameulato. It feels wrong, the MOUSE is ODD. Do try it and tell me if you can replace it with an emulator. Like unknown said, it's like playing centipede with bloody cursor keys.

So if my Amiga dies and I can't replace it, I'll never be able to use DPaint again :/ Nor play any games. Once my C128 died. I never played on the lameulator until I bought myself a Commodore again. I just agve up the emu shit years ago.

I do have some emus on my iBook, so I can play some games on the go, but the moment I have to start fiddling up with an emu, or the moment it gives out some glitches, I throw it to the bin. I used to run all the bloody Picasso96 shit from the commandline and stuff, had many configs in batch files... I can't be arsed to do that anymore. Because once I wnet back to my amiga again, I understood everything, the LIGHT enlightened me

(I expect Bloodwych to appear here )
Old 09 August 2003, 01:59   #32
fisken uno
Zone Friend

AquaAkira my friend,
Don't you start away uneasy,
You poor old sod,
You know it's only me

Etc,etc.

(for those who don't get it, a hint: Jethro Tull)

Last edited by fisken uno; 09 August 2003 at 02:05.
Old 09 August 2003, 08:57   #33
JudasEZT

Quote:

I will NEVER use DPaint on a lameulato. It feels wrong, the MOUSE is ODD. Do try it and tell me if you can replace it with an emulator. Like unknown said, it's like playing centipede with bloody cursor keys.
Thats tottally true.. but I have no space to have the PC and Amiga together.. so Im using DPaint on WinUAE.. fuck.. Youre making I feel like a sinner.
Old 09 August 2003, 20:01   #34
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by JudasEZT
fuck.. Youre making I feel like a sinner.
Pues joder, que si lo eres

If you got the miggy THOU SHALL USE ITH
Old 09 August 2003, 21:34   #35
lordsnooty

I was really anti-emulation when I had my Amiga (around 1997/8). But looking back, it was a little illogical. Less so than now, since computers in those days couldn't really run UAE at high speeds.

My current PC runs WinUAE at well over three times the speed of a 060 machine, and plays virtually everything I've thrown at it. An actual Amiga is even inferior in some ways, because of incompatibilities between different machines. WinUAE can be any Amiga you like.

Most of the anti-emulation arguments are sentimental and have no real basis in logic. I mean, DPaint? Why would I even want to run DPaint in the first place? I have Photoshop and Illustrator here.

I love the Amiga as much as the next die-hard social inadequate, but not everyone can afford/has the space for an entire Amiga setup alongside their PC. Emulation isn't lame, it's the only way that the Amiga is going to live on.

Unless, that is, someone launches a new, powerful and innovative Amiga machine. Unfortunately, the Amiga One appears to be a sort of 21st century Atari ST, so I don't hold out much hope.
Old 10 August 2003, 06:19   #36
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by lordsnooty I mean, DPaint? Why would I even want to run DPaint in the first place? I have Photoshop and Illustrator here.
You don't have a clue about what you're saying. DPaint cannot be replaced by a photo editing tool nor by a vector drawing tool. Yer barking up the wrong tree. Those who have really used DPaint know that it cannot be matched (well, maybe by Brilliance? Never used it, but someone mentioned it)
Quote:
I love the Amiga as much as the next die-hard social inadequate, but not everyone can afford/has the space for an entire Amiga setup alongside their PC.
Price and space excuses are lame. An Amiga is smaller than a PC, you can set it up almost anywhere without compromising any space, and you can get one for almost nothing today.
Old 10 August 2003, 07:41   #37
Unknown_K

Quote:
You don't have a clue about what you're saying. DPaint cannot be replaced by a photo editing tool nor by a vector drawing tool. Yer barking up the wrong tree. Those who have really used DPaint know that it cannot be matched (well, maybe by Brilliance? Never used it, but someone mentioned it)

Price and space excuses are lame. An Amiga is smaller than a PC, you can set it up almost anywhere without compromising any space, and you can get one for almost nothing today.
A bare bones A500 is cheap. A A1200 bare bones is inexpensive. A fully upgraded machine with an 060/PPC lots of memory, flicker fixer, svga monitor, large disk drive cdrom etc (basically a full scale towered machine) cost more then a current new PC and can do considerably less.

There is nothing wrong with using a slightly upgraded a500/1200 for word processing, games, some apps, email etc. But to do large scale data manipulation, most web work, graphics your better off with a new machine of your choice.

There are lots of obsolete computers (mac, amiga, pc, os/2, sgi, etc) that can do meaningfull work for a home user for little or no money IF you can find the software for them. I am surprised what i can get an real old 68k mac to do when upgraded slightly and using applications of the era. Dont forget that during the 80's to mid 90's everybody in the world used them to design everything that came after them.
Old 10 August 2003, 08:04   #38
Amiga1992

we're talking about a dual PC+Amiga setup, so we would just need a slightly updated Amiga at the most

You are right, you can get shitloads of juice out of some old computers. I want to get an 040 Mac for some Office work
Old 10 August 2003, 08:13   #39
Unknown_K

Quote:
we're talking about a dual PC+Amiga setup, so we would just need a slightly updated Amiga at the most

You are right, you can get shitloads of juice out of some old computers. I want to get an 040 Mac for some Office work
Get the best 040 then, the Quadra 840av, it can take 128mb of cheap 72 pin ram (thats whats in mine). it has the fastest 040 at 40mhz and has 66mhz dsp's for capturing video (svhs and rca in and out though the resolution is kinda crappy unless you get an addon board like I did).
Old 10 August 2003, 12:39   #40
lordsnooty

Quote:
You don't have a clue about what you're saying. DPaint cannot be replaced by a photo editing tool nor by a vector drawing tool. Yer barking up the wrong tree. Those who have really used DPaint know that it cannot be matched
I do have a clue what I'm saying, and I have used DPaint - a lot. But the truth is, anyone who's used Photoshop would know that it's not just a photo edititing tool. It can do anything DPaint could do and more besides (with the single exception of animation). DPaint was fine in its day, but that day has long since passed.

Quote:
Price and space excuses are lame. An Amiga is smaller than a PC, you can set it up almost anywhere without compromising any space
How do you work that one out? The minimum spec for a productive Amiga is an A1200 with 030. I had a tower case for mine, but even if you ran it from the normal case, it's still not tiny. Then you need a monitor. I certainly don't have room for another monitor - and even if some sort of monitor sharing thing exists, it'd still be impractical.

Quote:
and you can get one for almost nothing today.
A decent Amiga would cost a lot more than my 2.5ghz PC cost me, and even then I'd be forced to use software that was at least eight years old. I can't justify that expenditure, especially when my PC can run Amiga software at 3 times the speed of a 060 setup.