English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 28 April 2024, 20:27   #1
rabidgerry

PiStorm32 Lite and CF card

Hi all,

not sure if I've chosen the correct area for this query, so apologies if it's wrong and needs moved.

Here goes.

So I have a Pistorm32 lite for my A1200 and it came setup already with Caffeine OS. So I distinctly remember when first started using it I was able to switch between the SD card Caffeine OS and my 3.1OS CF card. Did I dream this?

Now it seems I am unable to boot my system if I have a CF card in the slot. I get a message saying Assign Failed Return Code 20.

If I take the CF card out, the PiStorm boots into Caffeine no problem and I can do everything on there no problem.

I cannot foe the life of me remember how to use the PiStorm now as an accelerator for my CF card installation.

Anyone any ideas?
Old 29 April 2024, 07:18   #2
Nor Bert
Norbert

You probably have the same names ( e.g. dh0 or SYSTEM) of partitions on CF and sd card in RPI.
Old 29 April 2024, 09:22   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

PiStorm Musashi emulates a fake autobooting SCSI card for it's HDD called PiSCSI so the internal IDE controller of the Amiga 1200 Gayle should still function.

PiStorm Emu68k has drivers for the RPi eMMC or SD card controller which is puts in an boot ROM aside from Kickstart. The internal IDE controller should still function.

As to how to select boot priority I don't know.

I'm with Nor Bert possibly a clash of HDD/partition names?
Old 29 April 2024, 09:47   #4
thomas

Remove >NIL: from the Assign command and read the actual error message.

>NIL: is a plague. It kills all debugging.
Old 29 April 2024, 14:40   #5
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Remove >NIL: from the Assign command and read the actual error message.

>NIL: is a plague. It kills all debugging.
There are a lot of Assigns on both the SD card and with Caffeine and the CF drive. Remove >NIL: from every single one?
Old 29 April 2024, 14:42   #6
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Bert View Post
You probably have the same names ( e.g. dh0 or SYSTEM) of partitions on CF and sd card in RPI.
who doesn't call their DH0: DH0:? Or do you mean like the name, as my DH0: on CF card is called workbench.
Old 29 April 2024, 15:03   #7
Nor Bert
Norbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
who doesn't call their DH0: DH0:? Or do you mean like the name, as my DH0: on CF card is called workbench.
Each partition on an Amiga system has two names. Each can be referred to in two ways.
If Amigaos sees partitions with the same names it adds .1 to the name, etc.
Old 29 April 2024, 15:05   #8
thomas

Quote:
There are a lot of Assigns on both the SD card and with Caffeine and the CF drive. Remove >NIL: from every single one?
Remove it from the one which fails

You can also try to add

set echo on

to the top of startup-sequence. Then it will print each command to the console before it executes it.
Old 29 April 2024, 20:12   #9
rabidgerry

That's just it, I don't know which

Old 29 April 2024, 20:14   #10
rabidgerry

Another weird thing, at this stage, if I switch back to the rgb output, the rom screen is not there. Is there something wrong with my roms? No if I take out the PIStorm I can see the rom screens. If I put in a different accelerator, I can boot my CF card.

Bizarrely then if I remove CF card I can boot the PiStorm.
Old 29 April 2024, 20:55   #11
Nor Bert
Norbert

Quote:
Another weird thing, at this stage, if I switch back to the rgb output, the rom screen is not there. Is there something wrong with my roms? No if I take out the PIStorm I can see the rom screens. If I put in a different accelerator, I can boot my CF card.

Bizarrely then if I remove CF card I can boot the PiStorm.
Disable all Pistorm partitions in the early-menu.
Then you will definitely run CF.
Old 29 April 2024, 21:40   #12
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Bert View Post
Disable all Pistorm partitions in the early-menu.
Then you will definitely run CF.
When you go into early startup it only lists the pistorm partitions. If I disabled that nothing will boot.
Old 29 April 2024, 22:06   #13
Nor Bert
Norbert

If you see only pistorm partitions, it means that CF on IDE is not detected.
When you boot the Amiga from a floppy disk, do you see partitions with CF and Pistorm ?
Old 29 April 2024, 22:47   #14
rabidgerry

I'll try that, but just as added information, when I boot with CF and pistorm together I do get HD light activity which I thought meant the IDE was detected. This is all a bit weird given that it used to work properly then sat in a box for months then suddenly it's not working
Old 30 April 2024, 01:47   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Which ROM are you using on your PiStorm? Maybe you're using one without IDE driver?
Old 30 April 2024, 09:55   #16
thomas

Quote:
Another weird thing
Quote:
Bizarrely

I wonder why you resist so much to sytematically investigate the issue. It is a two minutes job to find out what the cause is.

At the DOS prompt enter CD to find out which partition you are booting from
Enter ed s/startup-sequence to add set echo on to the top of it. When you see which Assign command is failing, remove >nil: from it. Then see the error message and fix the error.

Most likely the error is either Name: object not found or Name: cannot be cancelled

The former means that either you deleted the directory which shall be assigned the name or that you are referring to a non-unique partition name and the name now refers to the wrong partition.

The latter means that you named a partition the same as the Assign which shall be created.

In any case it should not take more than another two minutes to fix it.

If a whole partition was missing you would get a "Please insert volume PartitionName into any drive" requester, which is not the case.
Old 30 April 2024, 10:48   #17
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
I wonder why you resist so much to sytematically investigate the issue. It is a two minutes job to find out what the cause is.

Enter ed s/startup-sequence to add set echo on to the top of it. When you see which Assign command is failing, remove >nil: from it. Then see the error message and fix the error.

Most likely the error is either Name: object not found or Name: cannot be cancelled

The former means that either you deleted the directory which shall be assigned the name or that you are referring to a non-unique partition name and the name now refers to the wrong partition.

The latter means that you named a partition the same as the Assign which shall be created.

If a whole partition was missing you would get a "Please insert volume PartitionName into any drive" requester, which is not the case.

Thomas is right. You could even do it when you get error. Just type set echo on and then type execute s:startup-sequence.

This is just another way of doing it.
Old 30 April 2024, 13:50   #18
rabidgerry

Quote:

I'm not resisting at all. I didn't know quite how to go about this other than removing the >NIL: command from every ASSIGN in both Pistorm startup sequence and CF startup sequence.

Now you have told me what I should do I can try this and see what happens.

I also know what partition I am booting from (I am not sitting in front of my Amiga right now to refer to this) but I will do as you have described above.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the Amiga OS as many other users are so I wouldn't know where to begin with something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Which ROM are you using on your PiStorm? Maybe you're using one without IDE driver?
So I have tried 3.2 roms, 3.1 roms and custom 3.1 that has scsci device 43.45, icon library 46.4 and OS 3.2 workbench library included.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 30 April 2024 at 16:11.
Old 30 April 2024, 20:47   #19
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Just type set echo on and then type execute s:startup-sequence.
I tried

Old 30 April 2024, 22:15   #20
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
I tried

Sorry should have been clearer.

Type set echo on, then press return
Type execute s:startup-sequence, then press return

Also, on second pic, you only have set echo, it should be set echo on