English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 30 April 2024, 10:29   #241
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Hopp oder Top (1992)(PCSL)(DE)[2686] ... It stops after computer choose players!
Hotball (1988)(Satory)[2798] ... After the referee's whistle, everything seemed to stop! (A500 OCS 1.2 512+512) (same in WinUAE)
Hotshot (1989)(Addictive)[compilation Hits for Six - Volume Two][2101] ... Stops loading at some point!

Edit:
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - The Graphic Adventure v1.06 (1992-10-12)(U.S. Gold)[0851] ... Some small white line appears at 1st black screen during loading the game! (same in WinUAE)
Innocent Until Caught (1994)(Psygnosis)[1824] ... Somewhat slow movement of the mouse when entering the code, and afterwards in the game!
International Soccer (1993)(Zeppelin Platinum)[2429] ... It's a bit strange that there is no sound during the gameplay! (also in WinUAE)

Btw.
Nightly 1044 seems to fix that problem after a hard reset from the menu with Possessed-CemeteryOfSilence_(problematic).adf (CRC F13B345C)! (on denise nightly 1043 it still happens and on 1044 not)

Last edited by amilo3438; 02 May 2024 at 13:47.
Old 04 May 2024, 13:20   #242
PiCiJi

There are a few tough chunks here.

Hopp oder Top (fixed)
the game writes on IPF track which hasn't standard length.
I forgot to take this into account when writing.
very good find, especially because, the game gets problems here if the track is not written at the standard speed.

Hotball: (pending)
same on real machine... what the ? IPF broken ?, Gotek bug ? (unlikely), ADF works. needs more investigation.

Hotshot: (fixed with hack ? I'm ashamed)
The game is expected to be the first word read after a sync mark is the sync mark. This is usually not a problem, as there are 2 sync marks in a row. However, there is a certain probability that DISKLEN will happen exactly when the head is over first SyncMark. In this case, it can happen that the first word is not the sync mark. With over 30 tracks, the probability is already there that this will happen.
One keystroke to be processed is enough to have a slight influence on the timing. It always works on the original. How can that be? I've tried a lot of different variations. At least 10 times and it works. (Gotek or real floppy)
I could, of course, solve this with a hack. Is it even a hack ? So why does this always work on the real device?

EDIT:
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: same on real
Innocent Until Caught: same on real, mouse control is creepy
International Soccer: same on real, you can only enable sound FX in options menu

Last edited by PiCiJi; 04 May 2024 at 22:26.
Old 09 May 2024, 21:37   #243
PiCiJi

nightly:

fix Hopp oder Top
fix Hotshot:
The game is very dependent on accurately emulating the position of the read/write head. If the head is unfavorably located when the sync word is recognized, it can happen that the sync word does not end up in the Fifo, which is not an error but crash the game. Altered drive speed can cause the situation to occur. The timing in Denise was not correct when the IPF had no timing information (variable bit cells), but a bit length that deviated from the standard.

Hotball:
game has no tracks with timing information, no additional revolutions (weak bits) but the bit length for all tracks is very different from the standard. Presumably, the IPF is not in order. Maybe someone has a comparison version.
edit: In addition, I examined reasons that point to mechanical conditions. These would be a reason why even a Gotek could fail. The floppy disk controller is not located in the drive or Gotek.
1. Motor will not shut down when data is read.
2. No tracks/side are changed while data is being read.

rearranged User interface for options that apply globally to all cores. Several controls have been transferred to the C64/Amiga menus and the remaining settings have been combined under "drivers". The volume slider is now in the status line. This can also be hidden again under options->on screen status

Last edited by PiCiJi; 09 May 2024 at 22:12.
Old 10 May 2024, 17:59   #244
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

I'm thinking if it would be good to have an option to automatically capture the mouse after drag&drop a disk?! (even when the window is not in the focus to become in focus afterwards)

EDIT:
Kwasimodo (1987)(Courbois)[2957] ... For some reason the game always asks for the same protection code (1 D 2)!? (even after hard reset) Note: Deprotect the disk, otherwise it will not work! Config: A500 OCS 1.2 512

EDIT2:
Everything is probably fine here because the same thing happens in WinUAE when it is started for the first time. But since WinUAE creates an external .adf file and Denise only an internal one, the code protection is always the same on Denise and after creating the .adf file on WinUAE it is different. So the generation of a new protection code probably depends on some change on the disk file.

Last edited by amilo3438; 11 May 2024 at 10:58.
Old 11 May 2024, 20:30   #245
PiCiJi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438
I'm thinking if it would be good to have an option to automatically capture the mouse after drag&drop a disk?! (even when the window is not in the focus to become in focus afterwards)
Ok, that makes sense. Mouse capture shouldn't be aproblem. Unfortunately, I have problems giving the window focus when an external process (e.g. file explorer to start D'n'D) has focus. I'm trying to figure that out.

Quote:
Everything is probably fine here because the same thing happens in WinUAE when it is started for the first time. But since WinUAE creates an external .adf file and Denise only an internal one, the code protection is always the same on Denise and after creating the .adf file on WinUAE it is different. So the generation of a new protection code probably depends on some change on the disk file.
Correct. The game stores data on the disc and then the code changes every time it is restarted. Denise reinserts the floppy disks during a hard reset and they are then back in their original state. During a soft reset, the floppy disks are not touched and therefore the written data is still available.
WinUAE seems to write the changed tracks of the IPF permanently to a file. I would probably have to include that too. But I'm not particularly motivated.
It's a pity that IPF was not built as a real flow change format, which does not contain a finished bit-stream. Then you could write in there without any problems, even if parts of the track have a bit cell timing, which the Amiga can't write.
Old 16 May 2024, 12:41   #246
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Manix (1990)(Millennium)(M3)[2533] ... At the title screen, when it stops loading, press space key (or any other) and everything stops?! (same in WinUAE)
Damocles - Mercenary II (1990)(Novagen)[0643] ... It stops at track 80! Also missing info on the screen top during loading! (And in WinUAE there are some problems after loading also!)

Last edited by amilo3438; 16 May 2024 at 15:03.
Old Yesterday, 21:46   #247
PiCiJi

Quote:
Manix (1990)(Millennium)(M3)[2533] ... At the title screen, when it stops loading, press space key (or any other) and everything stops?! (same in WinUAE)
when pressing space on real hardware, music stops and after a few seconds it continues to load. ... same in emulation

--------------------
mainly interesting for Linux people
I have changed build system from self written makefile to cmake.
Visual Studio Solution is unaffected.

Code:
WINDOWS (7 and higher)
-----------
download and install CMAKE
download and install mingw32 or 64: https://github.com/niXman/mingw-builds-binaries/releases

open a CMD:
set Path=<mingw_path>\bin;%Path%
git clone https://piciji@bitbucket.org/piciji/denise.git denise
cd denise

cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" -B builds/release
cmake --build builds/release -j=<number of usable CPU cores>
cmake --install builds/release
.\builds\release\out\denise.exe

-----------
MSYS2 to fake a Unix environment
-----------
install MSYS2 and open shell
pacman --noconfirm -Sy
pacman --needed --noconfirm -S bash pacman pacman-mirrors msys2-runtime
[restart shell]
pacman --noconfirm -Su
[64 bit]
pacman -S --noconfirm --needed wget git make mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain mingw-w64-x86_64-ntldd mingw-w64-x86_64-zlib mingw-w64-x86_64-pkg-config mingw-w64-x86_64-libxml2 mingw-w64-x86_64-freetype mingw-w64-x86_64-python3 mingw-w64-x86_64-drmingw mingw-w64-x86_64-harfbuzz mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake
[32 bit]
pacman -S --noconfirm --needed wget git make mingw-w64-i686-toolchain mingw-w64-i686-ntldd mingw-w64-i686-zlib mingw-w64-i686-pkg-config mingw-w64-i686-libxml2 mingw-w64-i686-freetype mingw-w64-i686-python3 mingw-w64-i686-drmingw mingw-w64-i686-harfbuzz mingw-w64-i686-cmake

[open shell MinGW 32 or 64 ]
pacman -S make
pacman -S gcc

cd denise
cmake -G "MSYS Makefiles" -B builds/release
./builds/release/out/denise.exe

---------------
Visual Studio
---------------
there is a solution file in folder msvc

OSX
---
install brew first: /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
brew install pkg-config
cp /opt/homebrew/bin/pkg-config /usr/local/bin

compile freetype
  download latest source
  ./configure --enable-static --without-zlib --without-bzip2
  make
  sudo make install

cd denise
cmake -B builds/release [-DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=arm64]  (flag is for cross compiling only)

LINUX / BSD (tested on NetBSD and OpenBSD, not FreeBSD)
-----
install following dependencies if you haven't already

GTK+ 3: apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
OpenGL: apt-get install mesa-common-dev
OpenAL: apt-get install libopenal-dev
Pulseaudio: apt-get install libpulse-dev
SDL2: apt-get install libsdl2-dev
Udev: apt-get install libudev-dev
---------------------------------------------
ARCH Linux
----------
gcc: pacman -Sy gcc
make: pacman -Sy make
gtk3: pacman -Sy gtk3
pkg-config: pacman -Sy pkgconf
---------------------------------------------
FreeBSD
--------------
pkgin in pkg-config
pkgin in openal-soft
pkgin in SDL2
pkgin in pulseaudio
---------------------

cd denise
cmake -B builds/release [-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/.local] [-DINSTALL_FILE_ASSOCIATIONS=1]
cmake --build builds/release --target clean [optional]
cmake --build builds/release -j=<number of usable CPU cores> [--verbose]

[sudo] cmake --install builds/release
[sudo] cmake --build builds/release --target uninstall

NOTE: changing install prefix needs a complete App rebuild, otherwise assets will not be found