English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 28 April 2024, 18:03   #1
Yulquen74

Amiga tool to create hard disk image

This can certainly be done with TSGui. If an error occurs during read,
it reports a checksum error on a cylinder number, and allows you to try again or ignore and continue.

Since it spesifies cylinder instead of blocks, does it zero out all blocks in that cylinder in the written image file when it encounters an error, or only the defective block?

Are there other tools that can do a block for block creation of a hard disk image, preferably on a 68000 Amiga? CLI tools are ok too.

The use case is low level salvage of content of old SCSI disk with some bad blocks.
Old 28 April 2024, 22:18   #2
thomas

TSGUI should have the option to read sector by sector in the menu. IIRC it even allows to switch to sector-by-sector mode once it encounters an error in a cylinder.

In certain cases an error occurs in regular distances. For example if a whole platter is damaged, an error occurs every 200 sectors or so. For such cases TSGUI has the option to skip a number of sectors in regular intervals. I implemented this because the IDE controller of my A4000 locks dead when it encounters a real read error and I have to reboot to continue. That can be very annoying.

There is also a restart option which fills in all the gadgets as they were before the reboot.
Old 29 April 2024, 20:16   #3
Yulquen74

Thanks!

It turned out I had the older version from Aminet which lacks the above mentioned features.

I downloaded the newer version on your website, and was able to image the entire disk in sector mode.

It turned out there were only one bad sector.
Old 29 April 2024, 20:33   #4
mark_k

If you want to use the drive in future, it's possible that you could fix the bad sector by simply writing to it, which would cause the drive to transparently remap it.