English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 August 2016, 21:35   #21
majsta
www.majsta.com

Amiga 600 was build because Commodore had vision at the time. They build it because of me :P
Old 20 August 2016, 21:59   #22
Agilent

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
Amiga 600 was build because Commodore had vision at the time. They build it because of me :P
Is this you ? :

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 August 2016, 22:04   #23
StarQuake

Sorry if I don't know my classics. What movie is this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2016, 22:48   #24
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilent View Post
Is this you ?
I dont think so - this is Dr. Jed Hill impersonated by Alex Baldwin.

Quote:
Sorry if I don't know my classics. What movie is this?
Malice -1993
Old 21 August 2016, 12:09   #25
majsta
www.majsta.com

@Agilent I have tried to be funny and I m sorry that you don't have sense of humor.
Old 21 August 2016, 20:04   #26
Megol

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
@Agilent I have tried to be funny and I m sorry that you don't have sense of humor.
I thought he made a joke about your joke?
Old 22 August 2016, 04:43   #27
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

The Amiga 500Plus was a huge waste of money. Why build a gaming machine that games that were released at the time were incapable of running on (Eliminator comes to mind). Sure, the A600 had its downfalls as well, but at least it was upgradable.

The worst thing with C= was the fact they misled people into thinking that they were buying A500s, when C= replaced the A500 motherboard with the one already in the A500Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
AGA - why no audio improvements? And was Jay Miner consulted on this chipset? I was so disappointed when I heard about the flaws in this stop-gap of a chipset. Stupid Commodore.
I don't think I agree with this statement. Isn't AGA responsible for handling the graphics? Paula was responsible for the audio as well as the ports, and the chip should have received the upgrade, not AGA.
Old 22 August 2016, 13:08   #28
OlafSch

@Yasu

I somewhere read that Irving Gould and others from top management never used any amiga so they propably never understood what jewel they got. For them it was propably just another computer line like the C64 bringing them profit. And the C64 was profitable without needing any serious investments so they propably thought this would be the case for amiga too, seriously underestimating how the PC market would develop. So yes, they earn serious bashing and every blame in my view. But of course Amiga (if survived) would propably be very different to the amigas at that time, using standard components and propably be AMD/Intel based
Old 22 August 2016, 13:09   #29
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by B14ck W01f View Post
The Amiga 500Plus was a huge waste of money. Why build a gaming machine that games that were released at the time were incapable of running on (Eliminator comes to mind). Sure, the A600 had its downfalls as well, but at least it was upgradable.

The worst thing with C= was the fact they misled people into thinking that they were buying A500s, when C= replaced the A500 motherboard with the one already in the A500Plus.

I don't think I agree with this statement. Isn't AGA responsible for handling the graphics? Paula was responsible for the audio as well as the ports, and the chip should have received the upgrade, not AGA.
they did not seriously invest in better chipsets so even slight changes were progress to them. But of course it was not enough to stay competitive.
Old 22 August 2016, 13:11   #30
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
I thought he made a joke about your joke?
I would see that too :-)

Next is that majsta has no understanding of humour too
Old 22 August 2016, 14:14   #31
idrougge

Okay, so where would Commodore find money for developing new chipsets? Look at their profit margins.
Old 22 August 2016, 14:28   #32
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Okay, so where would Commodore find money for developing new chipsets? Look at their profit margins.
they wasted money, they even invested money in PC production despite being too small to compete there. They should have concentrated money on the best product they had, the amiga. But that would have needed that they were both aware of it and have a real strategy, both not the case unfortunately.
Old 22 August 2016, 17:27   #33
idrougge

If Commodore was too small to compete in the PC arena (which they successfully competed in for several years), they were too small to design and fab their own custom architecture and OS.

Q.E.D.
Old 23 August 2016, 19:32   #34
EugeneNine

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Remember they bought MOS early on when they had lots of profit from the early sales of the PET, VIC20, etc. After a few years yes their profit margins were less but they had already made the outlay for the purchase so it didn't really cost them as much to create new chipsets in the later years.
Old 23 August 2016, 21:12   #35
DopPie
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneNine View Post
Remember they bought MOS early on when they had lots of profit from the early sales of the PET, VIC20, etc. After a few years yes their profit margins were less but they had already made the outlay for the purchase so it didn't really cost them as much to create new chipsets in the later years.
They did not buy mos from profits of sales from pet or Vic 20. Tramiel needed a chip for their calculators. It was after the acquisition when Chuck Peddle talked Tramiel into doing the Pet. Or so I've read in the on the edge book.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1572 met Tapatalk
Old 24 August 2016, 13:19   #36
EugeneNine

ehh so my history is off a little bit

The point I as trying to make was they bough MOS when they had money not in the later years when they were loosing money. If you already have the company then it didn't cost much to release new chips and if your desperate your going to throw a bunch of ideas out there hoping one sticks.
Old 24 August 2016, 22:04   #37
idrougge

MOS couldn't keep up pace with the rest of the world. Commodore's foundry was great until around 1985, after that it kept lagging behind and in the case of the A4000 and A1200, they started letting others companies like NCR, HP and VLSI fab the Amiga chips because it was either too demanding or too expensive to do at MOS.

But doing so is obviously an option – ARM has never had a foundry of its own yet it is very competitive and profitable. What really can cost money is to actually develop the chips you want to manufacture. Commodore didn't have the money to do so.
Old 24 August 2016, 23:47   #38
EugeneNine

And thats probably why we got a bunch of minor updates and variations on the existing. All the experienced engineers would have left or been let go as they cost (salary) more so the few left would just make small additions to the existing design and then a minor change to the tooling to make them.
Old 25 August 2016, 17:55   #39
idrougge

Bringing the original Amiga technology to actual manufacturing cost Commodore most of their savings. They had to sell a lot of Amigas to recoup those costs before they could afford developing anything more than minor updates.

That said, they should have had the resources to at least bring out AGA a lot earlier.
Old 25 August 2016, 18:18   #40
AJCopland

Worth also pointing out that pay amongst the executives was some of the highest in the industry -> http://articles.philly.com/1990-11-0...ment-mehdi-ali

i.e. the took the money and spent as little as they could get away with on the tech.