English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 January 2012, 22:17   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

Requester Bug when copying IPF to Standard ADF with X-Copy/Power Copy.

Tried both 2.3.3 and 2.4.0 Beta 12 and this bug only happens in Fullscreen mode!

I've got WinUAE setup for an A1200 workbench with my own Hard Drives running Fullscreen and noticed if I put an IPF in DF0:, create a standard ADF and put that in DF1: and then try to copy it with PowerCopy or X-COPY then WinUAE appears to 'freeze'.

What actually has happened (at least for me) is a windows requester is 'stuck' behind WinUAE and can't be displayed thus you can't click on it and renders the F12 key unuseable meaning you have to kill WinUAE via Task Manager. The requester says that the software uses a non-standard floppy disk format and you need to use a custom floppy image. I can ALT+TAB out of WinUAE but the requester vanishes when Windows desktop appears.

Using an extended ADF cures this problem but if running in Fullscreen mode it still means a standard ADF file can potentially cause WinUAE to freeze if trying to copy an IPF to it. Also, running WinUAE in Windowed mode allows the requester to be displayed so you can click on it and carry on copying, X-Copy however goes fullscreen and produces the same 'bug'. Also found out you can ALT+TAB when its 'froze' and press return to answer the invisible requester
Old 17 January 2012, 08:20   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Windows version? Direct3D or DirectDraw mode?
Old 17 January 2012, 11:03   #3
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Tried both 2.3.3 and 2.4.0 Beta 12 and this bug only happens in Fullscreen mode!

I've got WinUAE setup for an A1200 workbench with my own Hard Drives running Fullscreen and noticed if I put an IPF in DF0:, create a standard ADF and put that in DF1: and then try to copy it with PowerCopy or X-COPY then WinUAE appears to 'freeze'.

What actually has happened (at least for me) is a windows requester is 'stuck' behind WinUAE and can't be displayed thus you can't click on it and renders the F12 key unuseable meaning you have to kill WinUAE via Task Manager. The requester says that the software uses a non-standard floppy disk format and you need to use a custom floppy image. I can ALT+TAB out of WinUAE but the requester vanishes when Windows desktop appears.

Using an extended ADF cures this problem but if running in Fullscreen mode it still means a standard ADF file can potentially cause WinUAE to freeze if trying to copy an IPF to it. Also, running WinUAE in Windowed mode allows the requester to be displayed so you can click on it and carry on copying, X-Copy however goes fullscreen and produces the same 'bug'. Also found out you can ALT+TAB when its 'froze' and press return to answer the invisible requester
what is the game name ?
Old 17 January 2012, 12:35   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Crystal ball showed one possible solution: Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip work?

(bte, what does the name of the game have anything to do with this?)
Old 17 January 2012, 12:47   #5
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

the message appears if the user is trying to copy a game using protected tracks in a standard ADF. hence then "The requester says that the software uses a non-standard floppy disk format and you need to use a custom floppy image".
Old 17 January 2012, 13:13   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

Sorry, Windows 7 x64 and Direct3D.

It happens as dlfrsilver says, when a protected disk is detected WinUAE responds with the message about non-standard floppy format but gets hidden in fullscreen mode.

Will try that other winuae.exe when I get home from work.
Old 17 January 2012, 13:14   #7
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

It's normal since the ADF format can't hold the informations from a disk using an MFM format or an RNC protection for instance.
Old 17 January 2012, 13:16   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
the message appears if the user is trying to copy a game using protected tracks in a standard ADF. hence then "The requester says that the software uses a non-standard floppy disk format and you need to use a custom floppy image".
Yeah but you can just use any copier in nibble (or equivalent) mode and protected ipf or even any standard adf.
Old 17 January 2012, 13:21   #9
BarryB
Amigaholic

Yeah, once the requester is answered it will copy the disk it's just the requester gets hidden, that's the issue and not whether you can/cannot copy the IPF.
Old 17 January 2012, 20:20   #10
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Crystal ball showed one possible solution: Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip work?

(bte, what does the name of the game have anything to do with this?)
You should consult that Crystal Ball more often Toni, it knows what its doing! That requester now has focus in front of WinUAE so I can now click on the OK button