English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 October 2009, 19:52   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just reproduced the steps that Deleauvive posted = no crash. If it's codec specific problem then I don't think that it has anything to do with WinUAE. Also mentioning two other external programs to get the 'raw' vid seems a bit off again. That was of course pointed at Deleauvive Still think that capturing with the built in recorder and a decent codec is the way to go for the first (or second) step.
Old 28 October 2009, 20:24   #42
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
@TCD :
May I ask @ what resolution does the capture takes place on your setup ?
@both :
Did you switch to full-screen after Wings of Death had started ?

I am asking because WinUAE doesn't crash here when the capture takes place in windowed mode. The resolution on my monitor is set to 720x576 ; In fact, for a given codec, CPU load should be lower after switching to full-screen mode (I do it on the fly aka when the game is running... the capture is supposed to start precisely after hitting OK).

In other words Maccara, you shouldn't be worried that the resolution at which the huffyuv capture takes place equals the nominal one of my monitor, because 720x576 (@50Hz) is set on my CRT.

Last, I should mention again that I run the games as preinstalled (WHDload versions, launched from the WB), meaning it's a beefed-up emulated Amiga which starts the game, these are not booted from the A500.

The huge size of the lossless capture makes it awkward to deal with, but for now, let's assume we want to do it this way.

@Photon
You're right about 50fps playback, I didn't notice it would take place with MPC from those .mp4 longplays. But again, I don't plan to make mostly longplays, only "first levels" typically, and the video will be later produced as DVDs so I don't think >25fps is relevant in such case.

Last edited by NewDeli; 28 October 2009 at 20:38.
Old 28 October 2009, 20:35   #43
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
I am asking because WinUAE doesn't crash here when the capture takes place in windowed mode. The resolution on my monitor is set to 720x576 ; In fact, for a given codec, CPU load should be lower after switching to full-screen mode (I do it on the fly aka when the game is running... the capture is supposed to start precisely after hitting OK).
You can easily cut it later for that matter, especially if that problem only occurs when you do the 'on-the-fly' switching. 320x240 full-screen and yes for the questions.
Old 28 October 2009, 20:44   #44
NewDeli
Banned

... and the Null filter is (was) on.

Your 19" TFT resolution can go as low as 320x240 (doesn't that resolution induce an aspect ratio bias; since it's not 1/2 of 640x512, btw ?), I am surprised !
Even on the CRT (and Powerstrip installed, I can't seem to go beyond the 640x480 limit .

Last edited by NewDeli; 28 October 2009 at 20:52.
Old 28 October 2009, 20:50   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Same result with null filter on and off. My 22" displays 320x200 fine and I've not tried to set it lower yet.
Old 28 October 2009, 21:14   #46
Maccara
The Spanish Songstress

Quote:
Did you switch to full-screen after Wings of Death had started ?
I tested both FS (720x576) and windowed, both ok. However, I didn't switch in middle of capture (because it's never advised). (actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that interfered, but that's probably not a winuae bug) Didn't bother to test any lower resolutions, as I wanted to see if "full screen" is doable easily.

Anyway, you probably should just capture at 300x256 (or whatever the real resolution of the game) and do all cutting/resizing/filtering in post. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
The huge size of the lossless capture makes it awkward to deal with, but for now, let's assume we want to do it this way.
Yup, you worried about xvid quality, so I offered lossless. That xvid quality loss was one of your original arguments for using a screencap app, which I objected to.

The reality is, that you just balance your needs when you choose a codec. I have 640GB dedicated space just for intermediate captures, so I use whatever lossless works for me. If you need much smaller with minimal loss of quality (still RGB) you can use MJPEG (for example), or even smaller and do what Matt does.

Techsmith codec does not work for me (license issues, decode only), so can't comment on that much. However, it should be lossless too, so use that if it works (should work). It probably makes much smaller files than huffyuv.
Old 28 October 2009, 21:18   #47
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccara View Post
However, I didn't switch in middle of capture (because it's never advised).
I think WinUAE just stops recording then (that's what it did here when I tested some odd ways of doing it ).
Old 28 October 2009, 21:34   #48
Maccara
The Spanish Songstress

@TCD: Ah, btw, about that RGB vs RGBA codec issue. I don't think it necessarily is winuae fault, but not necessarily codecs' either. I'd rather blame the vfw API and its "interesting" initialization methods. (its fixable in winuae side also, but I'm not sure if Toni would consider it worth the trouble)
Old 28 October 2009, 21:37   #49
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Guess if it happens (reproducible) with several codecs and the fix is easy enough, Toni might be interested
Old 28 October 2009, 23:21   #50
NewDeli
Banned

Too bad no one comes up with a fix for the install routines of huffyuv. It just got deleted from my compressors list in WinUAE (after a forced reboot).

TechSmith codec itself doesn't have any licencing issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSmith
There are no charges, royalties or licensing requirements for distributing videos encoded with TechSmith video codecs or with distributing the codec to others for viewing.
Still about this codec, what do you mean by "decode only" ? All the videos from Menace & Wings of Death were obtained by transcoding to "shareable formats", but videos left encoded with it could be distributed onto CDs along with the codec or a player. It's a feature offered by Camtasia Studio.

I think I solved my WinUAE crashing issue when encoding from within it (partly at least), it happens because I set the audio buffer to minima (1) .

None of my 3 monitor's resolution would go beneath 640x400. Have no idea where the limitation comes from (the 2 other PCs have old nvidia adapters, and the laptop's screen is rather small). Could be an nvidia feature that "activates" only with non-shitty GPUs .

I am not sure you quite understood the following Maccara :
I use TechSmith codec not only because it is lossless and doesn't noticeably affect WinUAE performance, also because it is the default format used for the "Editor" component of Camtasia Studio (as .PSDs is the default format for Photoshop). I couldn't figure out how to output xvid properly from that codec panel Mad-Matt is familiar with, so I went on using avidemux for 2-pass, average bitrate, xvid encoding.

In short, I thought I could ignore Camtasia studio capabilities to output xvid, since I don't feel comfortable configuring codecs this way (much prefer the "wizards" style). I had come to this conclusion : "Let's fool Camtasia Studio into thinking I want to produce some Techsmith encoded videos to the world (in fact, there would be another step before packing the files). Shux, that program seems to have handled the format just fine at the stage of capture operations... I am pretty sure avidemux will make really nice xvid / mp3 out of those fat files."

I know it's not really straightforward and a bit simplistic in the premises, but until I find a suite that would allow me to do it all with that degree of control (Vegas ?), I think I'll stick with this method.

Finally, don't be mad at me, but it seems one could input 50 instead of what I thought would be a max. (30) in the fps field of the Recorder options, when set to TechSmith codec . It's the Production Wizard that's limiting its ouput to 30 fps. So all encoding operations from avidemux would be carried @50 fps if desired !

Last edited by NewDeli; 29 October 2009 at 00:30.
Old 29 October 2009, 00:58   #51
Maccara
The Spanish Songstress

Quote:
Too bad no one comes up with a fix for the install routines of huffyuv. It just got deleted from my compressors list in WinUAE (after a forced reboot).
How about http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...ta-64-bit.html which I posted earlier?

Nevermind. It was just one suggested codec. No need to install it if you can get something else to work.

Quote:
TechSmith codec itself doesn't have any licencing issue.
ORLY? (see attachment)

They want me to install their bloatware to use their codec to encode. This is from the link you provided earlier. This is not uncommon practice (allowing only decode) among proprietary vendors, so I wasn't surprised.

And since I don't need it, I didn't bother. Nothing more.

Quote:
Finally, don't be mad at me, but it seems one could input 50 instead of what I thought would be a max. (30) in the fps field of the Recorder options, when set to TechSmith codec . It's the Production Wizard that's limiting its ouput to 30 fps. So all encoding operations from avidemux would be carried @50 fps if desired !
Maybe so. Still doesn't change the fact that it is one of the most convoluted ways to get the capture and still allows for frame drops and all kinds of other jerkyness (which can never happen with winuae capture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camtas.png
Views:	185
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	23100  
Old 29 October 2009, 00:59   #52
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive
Since it's the recording utility (the lossless TechSmith codec in fact, which you could as well use from within WinUAE, provided you have installed Camtasia Studio in the first place) which handles the job of capturing at 50 fps while (trying to) staying in sync, no need to modify WinUAE behavior any further.
ditto
Thanx for mentioning it...fixed !

Last edited by NewDeli; 29 October 2009 at 01:04.
Old 29 October 2009, 01:03   #53
Maccara
The Spanish Songstress

Quote:
ditto
Was that addressed to me?

Edit: Nevermind.

Edit 2: Except that statement is a little incorrect. Its winuae which ensures that every frame is captured. The codec just gets the frames and processes them. If you use it outside winuae, it does not ensure any sync.

Last edited by Maccara; 29 October 2009 at 01:14.
Old 29 October 2009, 02:03   #54
NewDeli
Banned

There is a Statistics Panel that can be toggled from the Recorder component. I'll make a video with it running.
Meanwhile, if you take my word,
here is what I could achieve from capturing Wings of Death from "outside" WinUAE :
An average of 48 fps with the config devoid of any filter, and it doesn't come under 47 !
I could even allow myself the luxury of switching Resolution to HiRes in the Display tab .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camtasia.Recorder_Stats.gif
Views:	209
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	23101  

Last edited by NewDeli; 30 October 2009 at 15:43.
Old 29 October 2009, 02:11   #55
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
An average of 48 fps with the config devoid of any filter, and it doesn't come under 47 !
Well, with WinUAE itself you get a perfect 50
Old 29 October 2009, 02:37   #56
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Well, with WinUAE itself you get a perfect 50
Absolutely.
I use TSCC video codec and PCM uncompressed audio with WinUAE avi output (720x576 windowed mode with no filters enabled).

This is on my 5 year old Socket 754 AMD64 3400+, 1.5GB DDR RAM & NVIDIA 6800GT 256MB.

Last edited by Retroplay; 29 October 2009 at 03:55. Reason: fixed stupid typo
Old 29 October 2009, 02:40   #57
NewDeli
Banned

2:36 am ? How late it's getting ! Time to move on to the Appendix, I'd say :

Appendix - CRT supporting 50Hz refresh rate
You happen to have an old CRT and this guide has motivated you to remove the dust from it,
and try your luck with running WinUAE @50Hz "the way it's meant to be" ?

Well, if your monitor supports it, it may be worth messing with Powerstrip settings
Note that the monitor turning pitch black
(when an unsupported mode is set)
can be reverted, if you don't touch the keyboard for a few seconds.
Also, note that running the CRT @ a lower refresh rate than intended may lead to issues both for your hardware and for you (shortened life span of the monitor, headaches due to the flickering...)
  • Install Powerstrip, run it (configuration takes place from the system tray icon)
  • In option / preferences, untick restore settings at Startup
  • Go to Configure / display profiles
  • Move the Resolution slider to the left, notch by notch until you notice the refresh rate slider can be adjusted to 50Hz (apart from 1280x720, there are no other resolutions which can be associated to 50Hz with my monitor, your mileage may vary)
  • Apply / reboot to see this mode in action (you would be testing it)

Advanced timing options would allow you to create a preset based on this specific resolution and refresh rate.
From this point on :
  • Click on Custom Resolutions
  • You should find 720x576p (PAL 50Hz -well, it's 50.08Hz being displayed here to be precise) from the list of Custom resolutions, select it
  • Set 5:4 ratio
  • Set 100Hz for flicker-free display (optional)
  • Click on Add new resolution
It will then be displayed in the User defined list, and added to the Display Profiles (switching would be as easy as right-clicking Powerstrip icon and choosing the preferred Display Profile preset).

Last edited by NewDeli; 05 November 2009 at 04:37.
Old 29 October 2009, 02:41   #58
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Retroplay
I think the result is quite viewable : [ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 October 2009, 03:04   #59
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I think the result with DeepCore is quite viewable.
First impression :
Nice underrated platformer... shown running @ 30fps, blasphemy !
Old 29 October 2009, 03:57   #60
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
First impression :
Nice underrated platformer... shown running @ 30fps, blasphemy !
Blame YouTube.