Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Regarding the "enhanced" part, I think the box refers to the use of CD-rom:

- http://www.mobygames.com/game/flashb...CoverId,63385/

- Explicitely on this back cover, if you read the whole Brian Fargo's speech:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/flashb...CoverId,63387/

- and there too:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/flashb...CoverId,63386/

Regarding the graphics, I must say I didn't notice the small details (eye, "stains" on the gun...) but ofc the shield icon looked entirely redrawn at first sight.

On this inlay, you can see the Mac credits and there seems to have been 2 (graphic I suppose) artists for the Mac version:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/flashb...CoverId,63386/

Mike Kennedy and Dan Barry.

Now the question I have (and not being much of a graphic expert I don't have an answer), is: Where the graphics entirely redrawn for the Mac version?
Or where the original graphics taken, doubled in size, antaliased (or something like that) and then some adjustements were made and details added? Ofc, exluding entirely new stuff such as the new shield icon.

PS: If the Mac screenshot is your work Akira, it seems like HOL is missing conversion shots for this particuliar version of Flashback:
http://hol.abime.net/568/conversionshot

So a contribution would be welcome
Old 16 October 2013, 13:36   #102
Amiga1992

Yeah I took it from my Mac, I didn't know there were conversion shots. I can send you more if you want. Or if the one linked here is enough, use it, please. Seems like you need intro too, so I'll do that in a moment and upload it here for you.

As for how the graphics were made, we won't know. Obviously the originals were used as reference, they have not been redrawn from scratch (why would you?). I guess they were doubled, reworked for the new resolution (adding pixels where shit was too blocky) and then detail added.

One more thing: I would believe this would be targetted at the Megadrive, despite the release dates. The resolution used in all versions, including Amiga, seems like that special "high" mode of the MD, which is a bit more square than rectangular. Also the support for MD pads being put in right away. Dunno, makes sense.
Old 16 October 2013, 15:14   #103
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Or if the one linked here is enough, use it, please. Seems like you need intro too, so I'll do that in a moment and upload it here for you.
Yes please. The one you have already taken is pretty fine (as it shows obvious differences from the conversion). But an additional screenshot for the title screen would be needed because we (read, Cody ) like Double-Barrel Screenshots very much .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
One more thing: I would believe this would be targetted at the Megadrive, despite the release dates. The resolution used in all versions, including Amiga, seems like that special "high" mode of the MD, which is a bit more square than rectangular. Also the support for MD pads being put in right away. Dunno, makes sense.
Thanks for stating that. I would not have thought of checking that myself.

I guess I should start making a summary of points in favour of the MegaDrive being "first" and points in favour of the Amiga, because whatever we finally decide, I guess such a summary will be needed to justify the choice in case of later disputes.
Old 16 October 2013, 15:29   #104
Amiga1992

I guess it all depends on how you define a conversion. Would be a similar case with Turrican 3, I am pretty sure development was targeted at the Megadrive but the Amiga version came first.

I'll make these screenshots now, so you can make them into a "double barrel" thingy.
Old 16 October 2013, 15:47   #105
Amiga1992

Here are the pics:

Seems like the opening screen is the only one that has only been scaled up and that's it. Shame, as it looks blurry and there was potential to make it look amazing.

Notice how this version also has that weird almost square proportion, inherited from the original. 512 x 448
Old 16 October 2013, 21:15   #106
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Thank you.

The mutant and his weapon look much better in this version thanks to the reworked graphics.

As I see that the ledge is accessible on the screenshot with two robots, can I bother you to test if the bug I posted about also happens on the Mac version?

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=916787&postcount=94

Here are the exact steps I follow:
1) Climb up the ledge. Picking the credits is optional.
2) Make one step forward.
3) Turn around and crouch. I take the gun out in order to make the roll easier
4) Roll (to the right obviously)

If you die without reason (instead of landing on the floor below) then the bug is still there in this version. Otherwise, it would probably make it the ultimate version of the games (reworked graphics and bug ironed out instead of being "avoided" as in the SNES version).
Old 16 October 2013, 21:28   #107
Amiga1992

I knew this bug well as I cheated with it plenty :P I think I tried it and it doesn't work, but I'll try it again because I don't remember clearly.

Actually I am getting confused with the bug you use to get through doors that are closed.
Old 16 October 2013, 21:43   #108
BobRedthorp
Huge member

I can confirm that the glitch is not in the Mac version
Old 17 October 2013, 00:22   #109
Amiga1992

Yup, no bug!
Old 17 October 2013, 04:59   #110
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Thanks both of you. I guess it is time I try Mac emulation to see how good this version is
Old 17 October 2013, 12:44   #111
BobRedthorp
Huge member

I tried it on my Powerbook G3 and it looks stunning compared to any version I have played, there seems to be far more frames and detail on character animations, you really need to see it in movement to appreciate it.

I then tried it on Sheepshaver, (Power PC emulator), I have a fairly decent PC but it just doesn't run that smooth, but that was in OS 9, perhaps running it on OS 7 might make a difference.
Old 17 October 2013, 13:01   #112
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Has anyone actually bought this on Xbox 360 or PS3?

Is it worth getting??
Old 17 October 2013, 14:29   #113
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRedthorp View Post
I tried it on my Powerbook G3 and it looks stunning compared to any version I have played, there seems to be far more frames and detail on character animations, you really need to see it in movement to appreciate it.

I then tried it on Sheepshaver, (Power PC emulator), I have a fairly decent PC but it just doesn't run that smooth, but that was in OS 9, perhaps running it on OS 7 might make a difference.
I tested it on my G4 and it was laggy at times, it would be very smooth then stop for a split second. Perhaps it's just the Classsic environment fucking up. Since i can't install OS9 natively on this machine, this is the only chance I have to play it.

Yes, it's pretty impressive! Also the Mac version of Prince of Persia had this level of detail. Really great conversions. Best version, by a far margin. also teh music is a lot better than the poopy Adlib version for PC.
Old 17 October 2013, 17:27   #114
BobRedthorp
Huge member

I just tried it on my Mac Mini G4, same as you mentioned, because it runs classic in the background its really laggy at times but if you turn it to full frames it runs too fast, seems G3 in OS 9 is the way to go, I'll give Prince of Persia a shot, I did ply it years ago but I don't think I appreciated the difference back then.
Old 18 October 2013, 00:20   #115
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Has anyone actually bought this on Xbox 360 or PS3?

Is it worth getting??
Yes... see my screenshots. I think it is.