English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 23 May 2006, 09:00   #21
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
You can do this already in Windows by associating the .uae file type with WinUAE, and then disabling "Show GUI" in each config file you save (once you have it exactly the way you want it) to prevent the GUI from appearing when you double click the config. I've been doing this for years, and if your config has the disk swapper panel loaded up with the adf's you want in the proper drives, then everything works like a charm.
OK so with, what, 10,000 TOSEC titles, that means you need to produce a pack of 10,000 config files (even though some will be same bar disk name) ?? Get to it?!?!
Old 23 May 2006, 16:10   #22
Chuckles
The Ancient One

What? You had something BETTER to do with your time?

Seriously, it'd certainly be a lot of work to build configs for every game, let alone every TOSEC version, but it does provide a method for being able to simply double click a config to boot a game with everything set up exactly the way you want it. I'm probably a bit more obsessive than most, so I've probably got somewhere around 2,000 configs built over the past several years. If you limit yourself to building configs only for those games that you'd actually be likely to want to play fairly often though, you probably wouldn't need to build many at all.
Old 23 May 2006, 16:21   #23
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
Isn't it the purpose of Lemonade / Gamebase-Amiga to have a config for each game? (apart from other things...)
Old 23 May 2006, 18:29   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
What? You had something BETTER to do with your time?

Seriously, it'd certainly be a lot of work to build configs for every game, let alone every TOSEC version, but it does provide a method for being able to simply double click a config to boot a game with everything set up exactly the way you want it. I'm probably a bit more obsessive than most, so I've probably got somewhere around 2,000 configs built over the past several years. If you limit yourself to building configs only for those games that you'd actually be likely to want to play fairly often though, you probably wouldn't need to build many at all.
and then winuae is updated and the configs are not 100% compatible!!
Old 23 May 2006, 20:04   #25
Chuckles
The Ancient One

That's always a possibility, but it's actually been pretty rare that a new version of WinUAE has necessitated any mass changes to my existing configs. It's been a lot more common that I've needed to change them all due to simply changing my mind about how I wanted some setting to be in most or all of my configs. In general, a quick pass through them with a global search and replace tool usually does the job easily.

Obviously if Toni wants to put forth the effort to add some capability for WinUAE to automatically recognize TOSEC'd adf's and adjust the configuration accordingly, that's technically possible to do, but non-TOSEC'd adf's will always be an issue, and it will probably not satisfy everyone completely. I'm not opposed to the idea of doing it, but I just don't think it's a panacea, and I'll stick with custom configs myself due to the added control they provide me with.
Old 24 May 2006, 01:21   #26
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
That's always a possibility, but it's actually been pretty rare that a new version of WinUAE has necessitated any mass changes to my existing configs. It's been a lot more common that I've needed to change them all due to simply changing my mind about how I wanted some setting to be in most or all of my configs. In general, a quick pass through them with a global search and replace tool usually does the job easily.
This is exactly what I do when a new version of WinUAE comes out as I have 470+ configuration files...

Very basically, firstly I use Word to compare an empty configuration file from the say v.1.1.1 against v1.2.0, I then work out what lines have been added / removed and then use a program like Ultra Edit32 to make the changes.

Takes a bit of time but nowhere near as much as it would take to manually recreate everything...

This way all my custom configuration files are exactly as if they had been recreated in v1.2.0
Old 24 May 2006, 06:23   #27
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Good choice of tools! UltraEdit is my editor of choice too, and a pretty darned good global search and replace tool as well. I've got something in excess of 1,600 configs myself (fewer than I thought actually), and UltraEdit sure simplifies the job of applying a change to them all when the need arises.
Old 26 May 2006, 09:14   #28
z00mba

But... lol! Why someone would use Word in the first place to check the difference between the files? Why not do it all in UE? It even comes with a light version of UltraCompare and can integer with the commercial version if you want.
Old 26 May 2006, 16:03   #29
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00mba
But... lol! Why someone would use Word in the first place to check the difference between the files? Why not do it all in UE? It even comes with a light version of UltraCompare and can integer with the commercial version if you want.
Yeah I could but using Word it was simple to find the differences (additions / deletions) between 2 config files from different versions of WinUAE.

Of course I then use Ultra Edit32 to remove / add / change the necessary lines...

Everybody has different ways of doing things. Whatever works for you I guess
Old 26 May 2006, 20:07   #30
z00mba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Yeah I could but using Word it was simple to find the differences (additions / deletions) between 2 config files from different versions of WinUAE.

Of course I then use Ultra Edit32 to remove / add / change the necessary lines...
In UltraEdit -> Files > Compare Files

Then you can use all the fusion functions you prefer to add lines from the old config files to the new one. Difference/replacement/delection will be colored too.
Old 26 May 2006, 20:52   #31
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00mba
In UltraEdit -> Files > Compare Files

Then you can use all the fusion functions you prefer to add lines from the old config files to the new one. Difference/replacement/delection will be colored too.
Guess I haven't played around with UE32 too much yet. I used Word as that was a "no brainer" in comparing 2 files (that's the problem with working for a legal firm in IT and having to compare docs)...

I know that UE32 is a very powerful editor, thanks for the tips
Old 27 May 2006, 12:52   #32
z00mba

No probs. The files compare tool in UE is the lite edition of UltraCompare. If you install the commercial version it will automaticly replace the light version.

I found UE + UC Pro can even replace any HEX editor (even if personnaly I still use HEXWorkshop for that matter since I'm used to it for years).
Old 28 May 2006, 15:50   #33
snyp
'Difficult'.

a good thing would be to use the windows mouse and pointer seamlessly; as if the amiga screen was just another window in er.. windows. the mouse is way too sluggish.. and erratic when the mouse is deactivated.

also a popup list of the drive-swapper instead of a file requester when you click on a drive button on the status bar. swapping disks would take two clicks.
Old 28 May 2006, 22:22   #34
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyp
a good thing would be to use the windows mouse and pointer seamlessly; as if the amiga screen was just another window in er.. windows. the mouse is way too sluggish.. and erratic when the mouse is deactivated..
"Mousehack" (select mousehack from ports-panel and run mousehack-Amiga-side program. Mousehack-program will be build-in in WinUAE 1.3) mode already does that but it it can only work with AmigaOS system-friendly programs.
Old 28 May 2006, 22:56   #35
snyp
'Difficult'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
"Mousehack" (select mousehack from ports-panel and run mousehack-Amiga-side program. Mousehack-program will be build-in in WinUAE 1.3) mode already does that but it it can only work with AmigaOS system-friendly programs.
that's still a little buggy too.. i can't seem to select it in winuae. it just disappears from the combo-box and i get a blank line in it's place when i select it.

*shrugs
Old 31 May 2006, 18:07   #36
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
that's still a little buggy too.. i can't seem to select it in winuae. it just disappears from the combo-box and i get a blank line in it's place when i select it.
Known bug, fixed in next release. (only happens if there are specific number of input devices listed)

You can manually fix this by editing config file, change "joyport0=mouse1" to "joyport0=mouse2"
Old 05 June 2006, 05:10   #37
snyp
'Difficult'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Known bug, fixed in next release. (only happens if there are specific number of input devices listed)

You can manually fix this by editing config file, change "joyport0=mouse1" to "joyport0=mouse2"
ahh thanks for your help there toni.. would it be possible to hack the copperlist at all to hide the amiga's pointer sprite, while mousehack is active?.. for example.. having winuae or the client-side 'mousehack' detect if amigaDOS is active, then if it is, hiding the spr0pth/spr0ptl or modifying one of the other registers to just hide the mouse.. this way the ms-windows mouse would appear to be 'integrated' into amigaDOS.

on a more important note.. i don't know why i didn't think of this before..

please can you look at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=4699 quickly..

would there be any way you would implement support for cartridge-roms plugged into another slot than the 'side' port (sorry, not sure about the technical term here.)

the reason is.. having 'hardware' (and i do stress 'hardware') action replay support for a1200 would be fantastic. software monitors will never be able to do the great job the action replay hardware did. a lot of the a1200's internals are still a mystery to me as i've never been able to get at it's stuff with a software monitor. the action replay iv 'beta' is too unstable and other software monitors are basically crap imo.

if you included support in winuae i bet one of the guys at tosec would find a way to dump the rom. up to now there's never been any use for it presumably.
Old 05 June 2006, 21:04   #38
Boulder

I have a suggestion for the video capture feature.

Is it possible to add a feature to capture at a certain resolution but use some other (higher) resolution for the display? It would make sense to capture at the original resolution and resize when processing the captured clip later.

Or would the whole thing just waste CPU cycles instead of saving them?
Old 05 June 2006, 21:38   #39
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

How about support for A1200 Action Replay?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=4699
Old 07 June 2006, 10:39   #40
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
would it be possible to hack the copperlist at all to hide the amiga's pointer sprite, while mousehack is active
I'll think about this. I think this is good idea

Quote:
would there be any way you would implement support for cartridge-roms plugged into another slot than the 'side' port (sorry, not sure about the technical term here.)
It isn't that simple. Every cartridge has different hardware and needs separate emulation support.

Quote:
Is it possible to add a feature to capture at a certain resolution but use some other (higher) resolution for the display
Possible but in my opinion yet another "not worth the trouble"-feature.. (scaling would be easy but how to scale it? simple linear scaling? something different? screen positioning? etc..)

btw, please, create separate topic for each request.