English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 07 May 2008, 10:29   #81
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

ISO+MP3 = yecch

BIN+CUE = much nicer, and I would imagine much easier for Toni to implement

Basically, my view is that ISO+MP3, for any system, is 90% only used for warezing and 10% used for legitimate backups. If you're backing up your own discs, use BIN+CUE, it's much more accurate to the original disc (especially with MP3s inherent offset from the original audio tracks). I would support BIN+CUE support way, WAY before I'd support ISO+MP3. It took Kega Fusion's author a LONG time before he'd even implement it, and I'm still not sure he should have for the greater good.
Old 16 January 2010, 11:40   #82
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

(old thread, I know..)

This is now implemented. (I feel dirty because mp3 audio is also "supported"..)
Old 16 January 2010, 14:21   #83
Maren
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Most people would probably be too busy playing the game or looking at the graphics to listen hard and carefully to the quality of the audio
This is partially true. It's not because they'd be playing the game, it's because most people are deaf to a certain degree. I estimate you lose no less than half of the quality when you go from analog to CD-quality digital, specially on the higher frequencies, now take that CD-quality digital (which's already bad enough) and cripple it down to 320kbps (and that's assuming the arsehole who ripped it had the decency to be this "generous" with the bit rate) what are you left with? a complete piece of garbage, specially if you play it back through decent speakers
Old 16 January 2010, 16:10   #84
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post

You should!! I hope you get not too many complaints about game xyz with ISO+MP3. I could imagine "Help please, there are some strange sound glitches in WinUAE" reports.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 16 January 2010 at 18:42. Reason: typo
Old 17 March 2010, 21:33   #85
MethodGit

Apologies for another bump, but I have to admit I only just noticed the news of this being implemented! (The official site mentioned it in the WIP listing).

So I take it you managed to find a GPL-compatible CD emulator in the end, Toni? I would've assumed the open-source + GPL-friendly DOSBox would be a convenient place to look at (it even includes OGG/WAV support through SDL_sound), but I guess you found something better.
Old 18 March 2010, 11:24   #86
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Apologies for another bump, but I have to admit I only just noticed the news of this being implemented! (The official site mentioned it in the WIP listing).

So I take it you managed to find a GPL-compatible CD emulator in the end, Toni? I would've assumed the open-source + GPL-friendly DOSBox would be a convenient place to look at (it even includes OGG/WAV support through SDL_sound), but I guess you found something better.
I didn't find anything usable so as usual I wrote it from scratch. (there is libmirage but it would need major rewrite to make it usable and I won't use SDL ever again)
Old 19 March 2010, 00:02   #87
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
(old thread, I know..)

High quality mp3 can be virtually transparent yet represents a huge saving in disk space.

Thankyou