English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 October 2010, 15:26   #1
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Non Working CD ROM Drivers in OS3.9

Afternoon all,

I've just installed OS3.9 (from 3.0), (onto my A1200 tower) and everything has gone smoothly. The only thing that's not worked is that my CD Rom drive is no longer showing up in Workbench.

To get OS3.9 installed I installed WB3.0 and then my EIDE'99 disk, which contained CD-ROM and EIDE Software for the 4xEIDE Buffered interface.

Should I simply re-install this?

Over here: http://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/di...eration.html#1 there's a suggestion to set the setpatch invocation to read: C:SetPatch QUIET SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device"

If I do that, will that also stop me from using non Workbench partitions over 4GB?

Apologies if these questions sound daft. I used to be a die-hard Amiga user, but am only just getting back into it.

Many thanks!
Old 06 October 2010, 16:00   #2
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Once you are able to view the os39 cd, make the emergancy boot floppy (from os39 install menu). This will setup a minimal install with your cd driver and can install clean os39.

os39 scsi.device is compatable with elbox eide adaptor. But only allows the first channel to work. idealy a setup like HD on master and cd slave will allow to install os39 without issue.

4xedie.driver would be needed to access the second channel (device 2 and 3). You can of course setup 4xeide.driver on the boot floppy as well if your cdrom is on the secondary channel.
Old 06 October 2010, 16:42   #3
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

I have the 4xeide.driver installed on the HD, and have tried adding:

c:4xeide.driver

and then also re-installing the drivers from floppy.

However, neither method brings back the CDROM drive.

I'm remembering why I kept my Amiga at WB3.0 all those years back - I could never get the CDROM drive to work with OS3.9.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.
Old 06 October 2010, 16:56   #4
thomas

Big question: how did you *install* OS 3.9 if you never get the CDROM drive to work???

I would suggest the following:

1. get the latest EIDE software from Elbox. I am sure they made it compatible with OS 3.9.
2. check the documentation of the EIDE software whether there are any hints how to make it to work with OS 3.9
3. like Mad-Matt said, once the CD drive is working anywhere, create an OS 3.9 emergency boot disk (it's the topmost option in the installer, you should have done it anyway).
4. make sure that the EIDE software has made it to the emergency disk. If not, copy the missing files and add the missing entries to df0:s/startup-sequence
5. test the emergency disk. You need to boot from it to successfully install OS 3.9 anyway, so I wonder how you got past this step and installed OS 3.9 although the CD drive did not work.
6. only if the emergency disk boots successfully, install OS 3.9 to HDD. Boot from the disk and run the installer from the emergency OS. Do not run the OS 3.9 installer from a 3.0 or 3.1 system.
Old 06 October 2010, 17:00   #5
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Hi Thomas.

I installed WB3.0, then installed the EIDE software from floppy.

Once this was done I could then install OS3.9 from CD.
Old 06 October 2010, 22:25   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
Hi Thomas.

I installed WB3.0, then installed the EIDE software from floppy.

Once this was done I could then install OS3.9 from CD.

I thought so, but that's not the right way. OS 3.9 does not install correctly if the installer is run without the updated Workench active. You can either update from 3.5 or boot from the emergency disk and then install over 3.1 or below (or empty partition).
Old 07 October 2010, 14:20   #7
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Thanks for your help guys.

OK, I've got WB3.0 installed on one partition, and I've installed the EIDE CDROM drivers on to that.

Next, I loaded up the OS3.9 CD and have created the emergency boot disk.

I then re-booted, and loaded the emergency disk, but it throws up errors (I'll document these when I've finished work).

I think my next tasks are to:

- Compare the startup-sequence on my WB3.0 partition to the one on the emergency boot disk, and copy over the relevant line(s) that reference the EIDE driver.
- Copy all of the files on the EIDE install disk over to the relevant folders on the emergency boot disk

If the emergency boot disk then picks up the CDROM drive I'll be sorted, as I'll know what changes to make to the OS3.9 installation once it's installed onto HD. If it doesn't, I guess I'll be sticking with version 3.0 and working CDROM drivers.

I used to enjoy this sort of troubleshooting when I was a student. These days with limited free time it's more a pain in the backside.
Old 07 October 2010, 16:43   #8
thomas

I think the only file you need is 4xEIDE.driver. And add c:4xEIDE.driver just behind SetPatch in startup-sequence.
Old 08 October 2010, 00:51   #9
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Matt/Thomas - thank you both for all your help.

I've spent all evening on this, and just as I was about to pull out what hair I had left, I re-read this thread once more and took Matt's advice.

I set the hard disk up as master, the CD ROM drive as slave. Ensured they were both on the same channel, and BINGO!

I now have a working OS3.9 installation, AND CDROM drive support.

Thanks for your patience fellas. Really, really appreciated!

Right. Time for bed! Good night!