English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 July 2018, 22:11   #241
jbilander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
It would be nice to see a new Amiga case (Amiga 1600 ?) with the Vampire standalone in it, sold all together.

I mean a real new wedge case with the Amiga logo on it, specially designed for the VS.

I would prefer a smaller case (similar to a mac-mini case) for the v4 standalone, something like this Vampire V4 Acrylic Case, but solid colored, and then be able to use a mechanical filco usb keyboard with it.
Old 13 July 2018, 08:48   #242
SvladJelly

Is it too soon to sob about the many years I've been waiting for my Vampire A1200?
Sniff...
:-(
Old 13 July 2018, 09:46   #243
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvladJelly View Post
Is it too soon to sob about the many years I've been waiting for my Vampire A1200?
Sniff...
:-(
The V1200 will come after the stand-alone board anyway. I'm hoping for a V500 because A500 models are more serviceable than A600 or A1200. Pin through soldering is a piece of cake. Surface mounted devices are considerably more difficult to service.
Old 13 July 2018, 10:37   #244
jbilander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
The V1200 will come after the stand-alone board anyway. I'm hoping for a V500 because A500 models are more serviceable than A600 or A1200.

Looks like there will be a V4 for A500

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 July 2018, 10:39   #245
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Yes, there will be. I just hope I can afford it.
Old 16 July 2018, 16:46   #246
jbilander

Good news!

Vampire V4 cards to be shipped to official beta testers...

https://www.generationamiga.com/2018...-beta-testers/
Old 11 August 2018, 12:56   #247
pcotter

more videos from the V4 in action:

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 August 2018, 01:54   #248
Hiddenevil

While they are developing these new boards, are they still working on supporting the A600 vampires? A friend of mine owns one and says he's been waiting them to update the core and improve support for various features that were promised ages ago. TBH it put me off buying one :-/
Old 13 August 2018, 02:44   #249
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenevil View Post
While they are developing these new boards, are they still working on supporting the A600 vampires? A friend of mine owns one and says he's been waiting them to update the core and improve support for various features that were promised ages ago. TBH it put me off buying one :-/
Version 1 is not supported any more. Version 2 gets constant updates but will likely stop at Gold 3.0 .
Old 13 August 2018, 05:50   #250
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
They released Gold 2.10 only a few weeks ago so yes, V2 is clearly still being maintained. They never promised to add any specific feature within a certain time frame which is why they say that you should buy it only for what it can do right now, not for what you expect it can do in the future.
Old 13 August 2018, 06:42   #251
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
they say that you should buy it only for what it can do right now, not for what you expect it can do in the future.
Yep and what it can do now is pretty darn sensational. Really looking forward to GOLD 2.11 that will hopefully bring some improvements to WHDLoad compatibility for stodgy old farts like me.
Old 13 August 2018, 07:46   #252
Nickman1200

Get the 2.11 beta here if you can flash .jic
http://www.apollo-core.com/releases/
Old 13 August 2018, 10:19   #253
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickman1200 View Post
Get the 2.11 beta here if you can flash .jic
http://www.apollo-core.com/releases/
Cool thanks! I didn't even think to look there since they have never released beta's there before, not until 2.10 at least. Will have to try it out over the next couple of days.
Old 13 August 2018, 12:35   #254
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
They never promised to add any specific feature
Does it say anywhere that fast IDE is only for V500 variants?
Old 13 August 2018, 17:24   #255
Hiddenevil

I dont own a vampire card, but my friend has a black edition and I'm sure he said that his A600 doesn't output everything through HDMI. He still has to output some stuff (amiga games) through the composite port. When he said it, I couldn't help think it sounded a little nuts. Has that been solved?
Old 13 August 2018, 17:27   #256
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
I dont own a vampire card, but my friend has a black edition and I'm sure he said that his A600 doesn't output everything through HDMI. He still has to output some stuff (amiga games) through the composite port. When he said it, I couldn't help think it sounded a little nuts. Has that been solved?
The Amiga chipset is not in the FPGA yet, that will come with Gold core 3.0, thus all Amiga chipset banging games will go through the RGB port on the Amiga until then.
Old 13 August 2018, 18:18   #257
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I'm sure that when he bought it, they did not promise that it could output ECS/AGA modes through the HDMI port. It was probably an incorrect assumption on his part. It works like any Amiga RTG card and can be used to get high resolutions and 16/24 bit colors in Workbench.
Old 22 August 2018, 17:33   #258
Hiddenevil

I have to admit when he said it couldn't do it, I was a little surprised and disappointed. The A600 has a vampire, now so does the A500, soon there will be a stand alone unit and if we are lucky one for the A1200. With all these cards coming out, you'd have thought they might have got functionality all sorted out by now. Especially with how much they cost. I dont know how I'd feel about buying a Vampire for my A1200 and it only half working :-/
Old 22 August 2018, 17:39   #259
Mr.Flibble

By the time the A1200 version is available you'll have full functionality.

It's not far off now tbh, it was always known it was going to be a gradual process with card sales funding further development.

Don't forget that any existing card can have all the new features as and when the cores are updated.
Old 22 August 2018, 18:36   #260
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
With all these cards coming out, you'd have thought they might have got functionality all sorted out by now. Especially with how much they cost.
For an accelerator which is faster than the fastest 060 with 128MB RAM, a fast IDE controller and RTG with digital output, I think the price is a bargain. Getting PAL+NTSC through the digital video output as well is just a really nice bonus since they don't charge anything for firmware updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post
It's not far off now tbh, it was always known it was going to be a gradual process with card sales funding further development.
Don't forget that any existing card can have all the new features as and when the cores are updated.
Yes, it is a small team so things take time. But don't expect all new features to become available on the V2 Vampires. The FPGA on that one is pretty much stuffed as far as I can understand, so they probably won't be able to fit all those new features into the same core. Maybe they will release several versions so you can choose whether you want the chipset (for PAL HDMI out) or the FPU. The V4 has a much larger FPGA so it should be able to fit everything. I would expect that once the V4 is launched, we will probably start to only see minor updates for the V2 as it doesn't have room for anything but smaller things.