English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 14 November 2017, 10:37   #21
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
I’m pretty sure that cookie warning is an EU directive.
Yes it is an EU law sadly.
Old 14 November 2017, 10:55   #22
jbl007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Yes it is an EU law sadly.
Yepp, some info about this:
https://www.cookielaw.org/the-cookie-law/

And this could be helpful:
https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu
Old 14 November 2017, 11:06   #23
Cherno

The Pixelation forum has a feature that lets you click on an image and it gets larger with each click. Useful for 1:1 screenshots (especially since I like checking the "Guess the screenshot..." competition )
Old 14 November 2017, 11:12   #24
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
Yepp, some info about this:
https://www.cookielaw.org/the-cookie-law/
I know about this, it's just that cookies themselves aren't necessarily the best way to know when to not display that warning again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
And this could be helpful:
https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu
Would require "updating" my FF to a newer (understand : heavier) version...
Not sure it would work here, either.
Old 14 November 2017, 11:30   #25
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
yep. there are some addons for the vbulletin software.
RCK did reply to my request earlier, maybe he still does remember on his own, considering this feature
The plugin we used was "Image Resizer by Seven Skins" for vB 4+, however they don't appear to have made one for previous versions of vB.
Old 14 November 2017, 12:54   #26
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira View Post
i personally don't want any of the features that would turn a bulletin board system into attention-seeking social media. Probably the reason i still come here, is that it's not like social media with its notifications, red dots and bullshit!

My feature requests would be more in line with trying to keep the whole thing as oldschool as possible
+1!
Old 14 November 2017, 13:18   #27
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I personally don't want any of the features that would turn a bulletin board system into attention-seeking social media. Probably the reason I still come here, is that it's not like social media with its notifications, red dots and bullshit!
I tend to agree with you, I mean the fact that EAB format hasn't changed in 15 years is the main reason it's a permanent feature on my browser's splash page;

I have to say though that working on a github, I've come to like markdown as a formatting language, and that the name tagging is kinda useful.

Bottom line: if the board format will not change at all, I wouldn't complain either.
Old 14 November 2017, 14:56   #28
Amiga1992

It's not hard to keep track of what reads you've been participating in, mentions would be useful only if someone mentions you on a thread you weren't around. This could be useful, I see that, but also could be annoying.

You know what could help, instead of notifications of tagging, to me, is that the "go to last post" button you have on every unread thread, goes instead to the "first new post since you last read". I usually hit that button to go read almost at the point where I left off last visit, but when talk had been busy, or it's been a while since my last visit, I find that maybe I scrolled past a bunch of pages and I need to find my way back to the point I read last.

It's not the same, but it's an extra tweak that I think is possible, and would help with catching up after your last visit. Many forums have that button operating that way instead of going to the absolute last post. Maybe we can add a button with this function, right next to the "go to last post" one.
Old 14 November 2017, 15:10   #29
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
The plugin we used was "Image Resizer by Seven Skins" for vB 4+, however they don't appear to have made one for previous versions of vB.
in my link there is another link to a 3.7 compatible version - we use 3.8
no idea if this would work.
Old 14 November 2017, 15:12   #30
DH
Global Moderator

It could be compatible emufan, I saw that version myself, I could look in the forum to see if anyone has made a post about it being vB 3.8 compatible.
Old 14 November 2017, 16:45   #31
emufan

Quote:
... about it being vB 3.8 compatible.
ok.

some current features, the next update will hopefully fix:
Code:
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
and the database error "of no joy"
Old 14 November 2017, 17:04   #32
DH
Global Moderator

Old dying server, but RCK has a new server, just needs the time to migrate it, update vB, and give me Admin Powers Mwahahahahaha!
Old 15 November 2017, 02:12   #33
AmigaBoy

Quote:
Old dying server, but RCK has a new server, just needs the time to migrate it, update vB, and give me Admin Powers Mwahahahahaha!
My suggestions:
  • EASY: If vBulletin supports PHP 7.x, upgrade to it ASAP! It's much more efficient and performs much better!
  • EASY: If vBulletin supports caching, preferably in-memory caching (memcached, redis, etc.), turn it on. Not only will things speed up big time, but it'll reduce a lot of DB quering.
  • EASY: Use a CDN to serve Javascript, CSS and even images. Offloading these resources leaves the web server to handle the important stuff. Cloudflare has a free option that'll do the job, and has the added bonus of some DDoS blocking functionality.
  • EASY: Install process monitoring software such as monit. If a process goes down such as Apache or MySQL, it can be brought back up automatically in seconds.
  • MEDIUM: Have nginx sit in front of Apache as a reverse proxy. When the server needs to serve static files, nginx = speed.
  • HARD: Host with AWS/Digital Ocean/Linode/etc. if you know how to setup a secure server from scratch. Easy to spin up instances when required and do load balancing and whatnot (ie. site will never go down). No clue how much RCK knows regarding this sort of thing, or even if he has the time.

+ so much more.

I hate that EAB still goes down pretty frequently. I kinda sorta do this for a living, so I'm around for advice if needed.

Last edited by AmigaBoy; 14 March 2018 at 19:37.
Old 02 December 2017, 12:00   #34
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Would require "updating" my FF to a newer (understand : heavier) version
Don't know which version you're using, but you can try FireFox58 Developer Edition. Works separate from regular FF, and is a big improvement over versions before 57.
Old 02 December 2017, 12:52   #35
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Don't know which version you're using, but you can try FireFox58 Developer Edition. Works separate from regular FF, and is a big improvement over versions before 57.
Sure but i'm using very old 39.0 FF and it eats enough system resources like that.
However if you have a link to something that can be tested without affecting previous install then i might check it...
... even if "I don't care about cookies" filter list added to ABP seems to have worked
Old 02 December 2017, 14:25   #36
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Sure but i'm using very old 39.0 FF and it eats enough system resources like that.
That's pretty old, not good for security also.

Quote:
However if you have a link to something that can be tested without affecting previous install then i might check it...
Here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/

This version has it's own profile so it shouldn't affect any regular version install.
Old 02 December 2017, 17:55   #37
Amiga1992

Quote:
What is the reason you use an outdated web browser? In 99% of cases, this is a recipe for trouble, whether it be in page rendering, or in worst cases, security issues.
Old 02 December 2017, 18:15   #38
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
What is the reason you use an outdated web browser? In 99% of cases, this is a recipe for trouble, whether it be in page rendering, or in worst cases, security issues.
In 99% cases, but i'm the remaining 1%
In short, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. For now it works fine, and the day it fails, i will consider changing something. Too many times i've seen "updates" making the software much worse after than before - when it doesn't just stop working.
Old 02 December 2017, 18:26   #39
modrobert
old bearded fool

After security researching chromium (chrome) for a while I know exactly why it might be a good idea to use an older browser in general, but perhaps we are going off topic.
Old 02 December 2017, 18:37   #40
meynaf
son of 68k

Indeed this is clearly OT.