English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 23 April 2019, 22:59   #2461
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post
and we reached lowest score yet in this topic...

Come on, can't be as bad as travolta's battlefield earth?!
-100/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
for sure it was not a masterpiece. But you can put in the same basket a lot of movies (eg: war of the worlds (2005)).

Even if I am not a fan of horror movies, I did like very much some Japanese or Korean ones. Just to mention one: The ring (forget the badly made US remake). And if you have time or like reading, read the books .
The first US movie was not bad at all, good cinema movie. It falls a little flat when watching on the TV, but which horror-thriller doesn't.

The books are magnificent, I like how each entry is a completely different genre. I was shocked to learn there was actually a new one released not too long ago, I really thought it was finished after Loop and the "Birthday" short stories.

Last edited by gimbal; 23 April 2019 at 23:04.
Old 23 April 2019, 23:29   #2462
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
[...] The books are magnificent, I like how each entry is a completely different genre. I was shocked to learn there was actually a new one released not too long ago, I really thought it was finished after Loop and the "Birthday" short stories.
Didn't know about new books, thanks for the info
Yes, according to Wikipedia, there is "S" (2012; in UK 2017; in FR 2015) & "Tide" (didn't find translation).
Will check my book-store this week for "S"
Old 23 April 2019, 23:30   #2463
BullyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
And we reached lowest score yet in this topic...

Come on, can't be as bad as Travolta's Battlefield Earth?!
I thought that was pretty good.
Old 24 April 2019, 09:01   #2464
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyDog View Post
I thought that was pretty good.
Everybody is allowed one.
Old 28 April 2019, 12:02   #2465
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Woman in the Window (1944)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037469...2?ref_=nv_sr_2

Love this, pure classic film noir; Joan Bennett - WOW!

There's something magical of early films such as this one that modern cinema will never equal.
Old 28 April 2019, 14:55   #2466
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Wreck-it Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet.

Like Ralph 1 this movie is not about laughs, it's more about the smile. It depicts an amusing view of the internet and the web that is very identifiable, what you would expect it to look like should the web become actual VR. Especially ads are depicted in a really funny way. Definitely a far better version of it than say what is shown in Johnny Mnemonic.

BUT... the movie to me lost most of it's cute factor. Ralph 1 had it because it was about those golden oldies of the 8 and 16 bit era in an amusing view of an Arcade from "the inside". This movie is mostly about the internet and online games. And Disney princesses, easily the best part of the movie.

But I'm going to have to quote Travolta in Swordfish: it just didn't push the envelope. Your mileage may vary, potentially this is a whole lot more fun to see if you have a couple of kids running around.

6.9/10
Old 04 May 2019, 16:36   #2467
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Avengers: Endgame.

"We're in the endgame now", Dr. Strange said in Infinity War. The end game for the original line up of Avengers. One final movie to send them off with a blast when phase 4 and a completely fresh roster of Marvel stories is booted up.

There is no a single thing I can say about this movie that is not a gigantic spoiler so I am going to shut my trap. I will just say this: I still don't like Infinity War. Just for the hell of it I watched it again yesterday, it's still a boring CGI war movie with Marvel characters. Endgame on the other hand... is better. It wraps up so many tiny little details you may have already forgotten about in the last decade in over 20 movies across all the different franchises. It's the ultimate fan service and boy did they nail that. It's a really good way to undo Marvel fatigue, go out with a big bang and start completely fresh with phase 4.

Of course Infinity War created a huge problem: there was only one way to go from how that ended and it is the most uninspired plot device that can be used, the prime Deus Ex Machina. But, they rolled with it, acknowledged it for all it's corniness and made it work. It really does. Toss in a good amount of jokes and referential humor and you've got a winner on your hands. No really, there is some epic writing skill involved to make what they did in this movie work the way it did, it is impressive.

PS: no, Ant Man does not get all tiny, crawl in Thanos' ass and then expand. This is a Disney movie. Murdering mothers and shooting dogs is just fine, but no butt explosions.

8/10
Old 06 May 2019, 13:54   #2468
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I saw it too, and really, you just can't say much about it without spoiling movie.

Well made, way to many very good actors in single movie and just incredible how well put together whole things is.

There were some 'really?' moments and it was fun to watch it all.

8.5 / 10
Old 06 May 2019, 14:19   #2469
BippyM

I saw endgame and I'm not overly impressed.. Too many issues that i cannot discuss without spoiling it..

Ill give it an 8, but have to say they dropped the ball on this one..
Old 18 May 2019, 22:52   #2470
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

the Blues Brothers (1980).

I was bored, zapping through a disappointing Netflix line up and then all of a sudden: the Blues Brothers. I was like "Wow, that's a blast from the past". I could remember some scenes but I kind of forgot about it. So I start it up, expecting to be mildly entertained.

First 10 minutes: Why did I like this as a kid?

The rest of the movie: I'm in stitches. Cop cars just being drawn to windows like magnets. Like - magnets. It's like they're aiming for anything that is not the path in front of them, I was wetting myself.

And then: princess Leia firing a bazooka into a building that Jake & Elwood want to enter (a bazooka that makes laser sounds no less). They get covered in rubble and just dust off and walk away like nothing even happened.

Princess Leia then blows up the building with explosives the next morning. Jake & Elwood get literally buried in rubble, but just get out, stand up, look at their watch and walk off like nothing even happened. I was out of breath at this point.

Princess leia nukes a phone booth that Jake & Elwood are in with a flamethrower, the phone booth somehow explodes and flies into the air, lands, Jake & Elwood are happy that they get a whole lot of change from the phone but otherwise don't even acknowledge that anything else happened. Are you kidding me!?

Then just a huge car chase with even more ludicrous car-magnet-crashes and flipovers.

Oh yeah, somewhere in between all that they sing some songs and piss off some nazis and some country music singers (because of course nazis). This movie is so looney, so zany... it's perfect. The music of course is timeless, seeing it now at age oh my god I'm old it spoke more to me than ever before. If you take away all the music and the car chases you have about 10 minutes of movie left over. I don't care. I'm so glad I reconnected with this piece of genius entertainment.

9/10
Old 25 May 2019, 21:46   #2471
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Glass. I liked Unbreakable; now in the era of too many superhero movies I like it even more. Unbreakable is not a superhero movie, it's a movie about superheroes. Its grittier tones, excellent acting and clever ending make for one re-watchable movie.

Then came Split, the surprise sequel to Unbreakable. Or actually, it isn't a sequel. As much as Unbreakable was the origin story of David Dunn as the Overseer, Split is the origin story of the Horde / the Beast. An oddball character that walks a fine line between being a good guy, a bad guy and a monster, all rolled into one fantastic acting performance.

And Glass? Well it should come as no surprise that it is NOT the origin story of mr. Glass, as he was born in Unbreakable too and is actually a villain, not a superhero. Glass is the assemble movie. And it's so unorthodox that I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. This movie doesn't do anything that you want it to do, not a single thing. It pretty much toys with the fact that Marvel and DC movies have put all kinds of ideas in your head about what superheroes do in movies and how ensemble movies should play out, and then avoids those ideas completely. In the world of Glass, Marvel and DC are comic books, the rules of the movie are different, the role of superheroes is different.

The fact that the movie toys with your expectations is kind of aggravating and at the same time you end up with a movie that is something you don't see very often. Something shiny. Something new.

And that makes it - bloody good!

7.5/10
Old 03 June 2019, 20:41   #2472
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
I did watch the first 4 episodes of Ash Versus, decent show.
Third season was released on Netflix a few weeks ago, currently watching it, fun stuff. Also, don't expect a fourth season.
Finally, Sam Raimi's spin off series has been cancelled, so be it.
Old 03 June 2019, 20:49   #2473
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Is this movie or series discussion??
Old 03 June 2019, 23:38   #2474
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Still movies, although "discussing" is a loosely applied term

On that note, I went to see John Wick Chapter 3. Which is absolutely not the end of a trilogy, the ending is wide open and chapter 4 is already booked for 2021. To which I say: god yes, give me more!

John Wick Chapter 3 is a direct continuation of chapter 2, as in you can watch them back to back and it's literally one movie if you cut out the title sequence. It is also absolutely not a re-hash of the previous two movies; where chapter 1 & 2 focused more on the glamorous and attractive side of the assassin underworld, chapter 3 throws you deep into the seedy side of it. But even though it dives into the underbelly of that world, it does so with surprisingly vibrant colors and rich visuals in a diverse collection of environments. John Wick in the desert? Yep, it's in there.

There isn't much lore development to this movie (unfortunately), it has basically one goal; throw as many bat shit crazy fighting scenes at you as is possible in 2 hours. And it succeeds, oh yes from the first 5 seconds and it only really stops twice to develop any kind of plot. The fight scenes themselves are also not just the classic Wick gunfights, oh no. In this movie the entire repertoire is opened up, including some quite gruesome hand to hand finishers.

Absolutely stunner of a brutal action movie that puts the big screen to good use, see it in the cinema if you can. But at this point I think the ideas have run out, Every movie is going to outdo the previous ones in how much it can make you flinch watching someone get killed and not in how much it can pull you into the mesmerizing world of assassins even more. A shame, but on the other hand there just aren't enough action movies that dare to go R-rated the way that John Wick does so bring it on.

7.5/10
Old 10 June 2019, 13:49   #2475
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I started watching Mortal Engines (2018) - it just fails to keep my attention and requires a bit too much of imagination...
Old 10 June 2019, 14:53   #2476
quantum8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
On that note, I went to see John Wick Chapter 3. Which is absolutely not the end of a trilogy, the ending is wide open and chapter 4 is already booked for 2021. To which I say: god yes, give me more!

It was a great concept for the first few but that'll lose it's shine as the cash cow wears on.

More original films please, there's too many sequels and rehashes out these days!
Old 10 June 2019, 22:19   #2477
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'll take the sequels and rehashes as long as they provide entertainment value. After a lifetime of cinema, its hard to be original without going into unwatchable territory.
Old 11 June 2019, 00:33   #2478
quantum8

I get where you're coming from. I guess I've just seen too many films that use the same tropes over and over which gets boring for me.
Old 12 June 2019, 14:39   #2479
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
I get where you're coming from. I guess I've just seen too many films that use the same tropes over and over which gets boring for me.
I asked myself this same question quite often, after so many remakes - how often can I expect to be woowed by something new in movie??

Just take for example Moral Engines - few decades ago it would be something as classic as Dune, but today it is just another junk movie...
Old 12 June 2019, 15:58   #2480
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

When Lynch's Dune movie came out it was considered trash and was a big box office bomb but has since then gained a large following. Who knows what will happen to Mortal Engines

Nothing I hope, I could already see it was trash just by looking at the trailer. It never fails when someone who has almost no involvement with the movie has to be put in all the advertisements; Peter Jackson I believe it was in this case.