English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 March 2016, 19:18   #1
TenLeftFingers

New site: askamiga.com

After a recent alpha testing period we are very happy to announce Ask Amiga at askamiga.com. A free online resource in a similar vein to Stack Overflow where users can come to ask and answer technical questions related to Amiga and all it's relations, software and hardware.

For a system that's thirty years old there is already a wealth of information available on the internet. However, we wanted to provide a resource that would be easily searchable with concise answers. We hope this resource will encourage new fans to come to Amiga and that the current genertion of passionate users won't be the last.There are still some items in the pipeline such as a database export of questions and answers. For the short-term we are focused on any teething issues that might surface with an increased user base. Soon then we will cast away the beta sticker! Other features coming next will be an area for meta discussion as well as automatically granting rights such as editor etc., which is currently a manual process of checking each interval who has reached a certain score on the site.

Anyone interested in asking or answering, please head on over to the site. You can create an account or use Google, Twitter or Facebook authentication. Last time checked, you can also view the site on IBrowse but not up-vote or down-vote. Many thanks to the beta testers as well as a special mention to Christopher Follett of ultimateamiga.co.ukfor hosting!
Old 20 March 2016, 00:45   #2
mihcael
Zone Friend

Nice Job, should become a good resource over time.

My feedback
- remove the BETA in the logo, if we can see the site it is not beta any-more
- smaller font for the preview of the question so you can see more. and also make it 2 or 3 full lines instead of one line and two words on next line.
Old 20 March 2016, 08:54   #3
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Looks good. Nice, clean and tidy approach. Added to my favourites
Old 20 March 2016, 11:44   #4
Reido

Nice site, registered.
Old 21 March 2016, 06:43   #5
TenLeftFingers

Thanks so much for the feedback and participation

The Beta tag ia a way of communicating to our user where to adjust their expectations in terms of polish. I think its a good idea to keep it for the short term.

But the text has been subconsciously tugging on my attention and now that its been named Ill put it on the list of things to address.
Old 25 March 2016, 09:10   #6
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
After a recent alpha testing period we are very happy to announce Ask Amiga at askamiga.com. A free online resource in a similar vein to Stack Overflow where users can come to ask and answer technical questions related to Amiga and all it's relations, software and hardware.
That's pretty funny, if you think about it.

"Helllooooo. My name is Amiga. What do you want to ask me today?"
Old 06 April 2016, 14:36   #7
idrougge

The password reset function seems to run into an infinite loop sending incorrect links.
Old 06 April 2016, 15:54   #8
TenLeftFingers

Thanks idrougge. I'll look into it now.
Old 03 July 2016, 05:43   #9
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

The site does not seem to belong to the Stack Exchange network and I do not recall this being mentioned anywhere, can you confirm that this is actually not using the StackExchange tools and hosting? I am asking because I did test some of the free alternatives to Stack Exchange in the past for use inside my company and I must say that none of them offered all the really nice features of the Stack Exchange framework, especially as far as moderation and meta-moderation were concerned, not to mention that presentation-wise (which is massively important), the Stack Exchange framework way is way slicker.

Did the initial attempt with SE fail to pass their initial screening? I noted that the SE retrocomputing site does address Amiga questions so it will probably be quite hard to attract as much traffic as that SE site.
Old 03 July 2016, 12:29   #10
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

It uses WordPress. It's not affiliated with StackExchange.
Old 27 July 2016, 12:44   #11
TenLeftFingers

Correct, we're not affiliated. See here for the history: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81203