English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 February 2009, 21:36   #41
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
And like I told you the pandora didnt have speakers but sound was emulated.

Pandora has an ARM processor twice as powerfull than the gp2x do you really doubt it will be faster than gp2x uae4all with sound?

No, I dont doubt, but have you actually seen it and held 1 and had pandora devs tell you it was emulating sound (but had no speakers).

It just all sound convenient to me.
Old 02 February 2009, 22:43   #42
Amiga1992

I think that the pandora has little to do with the gp2x and I don't see it commercially viable, or with any substantial features that would make me want to buy it instead of a PSP3000, DSi, an iPhone or even a subnotebook computer.

For those interested in Pandora, what drives this interest? I'd like to know, for me it's a very clumsy, unfathomable idea.

This might be something to consider too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
According to the myth, Pandora opened a jar (pithos) in modern accounts referred to as "Pandora's box", releasing all the evils of mankind— although the particular evils are not specified in detail — leaving only Hope inside once she had closed it again.
Nice name for vapourware hardware

Last edited by Amiga1992; 02 February 2009 at 22:50.
Old 02 February 2009, 22:50   #43
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I think that the pandora has little to do with the gp2x and I don't see it commercially viable, or with any substantial features that would make me want to buy it instead of a PSP3000, DSi, an iPhone or even a subnotebook computer.

For those interested in Pandora, what drives this interest? I'd like to know, for me it's a very clumsy, unfathomable idea.
for me its the fact its open source and i can use it like a notebook and its something quirky and original. I will get a psp too eventualy but i know i wont play any PSP games on it as all I will do is emulate. My youngest has a DS thats been lying around the house for months that i have never used either. Just want one I guess, like i wanted a motorbike but didnt need one
Old 02 February 2009, 23:00   #44
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
for me its the fact its open source and i can use it like a notebook and its something quirky and original. I will get a psp too eventualy but i know i wont play any PSP games on it as all I will do is emulate. My youngest has a DS thats been lying around the house for months that i have never used either. Just want one I guess, like i wanted a motorbike but didnt need one
Same here, all I do is play Amiga games on my PSP. Before anyone says its to slow. Then step away from all emulation, as its a matter of tweaking things.
Old 03 February 2009, 02:14   #45
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post

Its a computer the size of a DS with keyboard, gaming controls and touchscreen. More power than any of the devices you mention except for the subnotebooks which are lot bigger than a DS.

IF that doesn't appeal to you then you should just buy PSP, DS and iphones.

Pandora has a lot to do with the gp2x because they are both open source, indy or amateur developer friendly and the people making the pandora are the gp2x English and German distributors based on what the gp2x community said they wanted in the ultimate handheld. I was there when we were being asked what we wanted and didn't want. Different layouts were drawn up by members of the gp2x forums and discussed. Various SOCs being chosen and discussed. Even logos and designs were all done by the gp2x community.

They aren't trying to compete with PSP or DS. They are making something for a very niche market. A little company is trying to do something different than the main stream, quick squash them.

It has taken longer than expected, but really its a miracle they have gotten as far as they have being total first timers at getting a project like this together. Added to that the recent financial crisis and their bank funds all being frozen and having to refund every single credit card customer etc.. It has been a very interesting project to keep a close eye on. No other company has ever been this open afaik when developing a product like this.

If they are pulling a scam like many think they would be long gone by now and the amount of people they have involved it is one very elaborate scam.

Remains to be seen if it is vapour, Those of us who support the underdog have seen how a less powerful console like the gp2x can outperform the more powerful PSP only because of the talent of our scene's devs. Imagine what we will be able to achieve with more powerful hardware.
Old 03 February 2009, 02:17   #46
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
No, I dont doubt, but have you actually seen it and held 1 and had pandora devs tell you it was emulating sound (but had no speakers).

It just all sound convenient to me.
I have no reason to doubt Notaz at all, the gp2x/pandora scene is very different than the PSP scene in that regard.
Old 03 February 2009, 02:24   #47
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I have no reason to doubt Notaz at all, the gp2x/pandora scene is very different than the PSP scene in that regard.
Whats notaz got to do with it?

They gave him a prototype, just to stick an emulator on it?
Old 03 February 2009, 02:45   #48
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Notaz ported UAE4ALL to the pandora. They gave him a devboard because he did good stuff on the gp2x and they were hoping he would do more of the same on the pandora.

edit: changed devkit to devboard
Old 03 February 2009, 04:03   #49
Amiga1992

Sorry guys, I rather use my eePC 900HA for all this.
if I need high portability I use my PSP and I run mostly emu games on it, at good speed. Never tried Amiga games on it but I am not very interested in them on the go.

I doubt Pandora is a scam, but more of a vapourware.

I understand what you say THB but t just sounds like propaganda, stick it up to the man/mainstream/etc kind of stuff that i never am interested in. i am always interested in results!

Last edited by Amiga1992; 03 February 2009 at 04:09.
Old 03 February 2009, 05:26   #50
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Fair enough Akira, its not for everyone. They asked what we wanted we told them and they are making it. There is nothing political about it.
Old 03 February 2009, 09:10   #51
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Fair enough Akira, its not for everyone. They asked what we wanted we told them and they are making it. There is nothing political about it.
Aye, it wont be everyones cup of tea. This just sounds like another Natami to me.

They must have 100's of 1000's of peoples money and the people have nothing. It was supposed to go into production last year and were is it, .

Again, they shouldnt comment and hype it up, with nothing to show. An amiga emulator with no sound, is nothing in my opinion.
Old 03 February 2009, 11:49   #52
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Does a complete prototype Natami exist? Do software developers have devboards?

It is delayed by 3 months, not cancelled. Current delivery is scheduled for March-April. With regular updates and demonstrations being shown. Anybody who wants a refund can get one at any time. Somebody else will step into their place right away. They have 4000 pre orders. Obviously 4000 people are willing to pay in advance for something that only exists in prototype.

The amiga emulator with sound exists, just a youtube vid of it doesnt. As soon as a youtube video of it does exist I will let you know.

In the meantime heres a current youtube video of the unfinished Pandora playing an mp3, running firefox and gimp all at the same time. The plastic and keyboard keys are going to be different on the final version and the operating system isnt yet optimised for the hardware.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Nis0OjKmGGY&e
Old 03 February 2009, 15:24   #53
pubzombie

I find it really interesting the volatility that the panny can generate in people! everywhere i go i get people criticising me for supporting it. at the end of the day I want to be able to use it for games with keyboard, but perhaps as a bonus it will have other uses, and will not have to drag my laptop or notebook around with me from one campus to another for meetings etc. I have very little experience with using lynux, will this be able to run application such as word or similar programs i can use to take notes at work
Old 03 February 2009, 15:50   #54
john4p
Competition Moderator

I solely want it for fullspeed Amiga- and SNES-emulation in the palm of my hands everywhere. No handheld (with gaming controls included) can provide that yet.

Though emulation of "Ocarina of Time" and "Majora's Mask" would be nice, too...
Old 03 February 2009, 16:05   #55
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
I solely want it for fullspeed Amiga- and SNES-emulation in the palm of my hands everywhere. No handheld (with gaming controls included) can provide that yet.

me too
Old 04 February 2009, 01:24   #56
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post

Get Daedalus for the PSP
Old 04 February 2009, 09:19   #57
john4p
Competition Moderator

Lulz...
Old 04 February 2009, 23:21   #58
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I remain sceptical of the pandora, the wiz's screen is too small... psp is the best but its amiga emu does need a asm 68k core
Old 05 February 2009, 05:54   #59
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad View Post
I remain sceptical of the pandora, the wiz's screen is too small... psp is the best but its amiga emu does need a asm 68k core
redo my avatar!

Old 05 February 2009, 09:34   #60
lostfriend
Zone Friend

mmh, but the pandora has 256MB RAM and a 900Mhz CPU clocked to 600Mhz, that 8 times more ram and double the CPU speed of the PSP. And the big advantage is you dont have to hack your device to get any emulator running, nothing has to be done in the grey side.
Lets just wait until it got released and people posting their reports.