English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 20 February 2018, 21:43   #61
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Having said that, there is another layer to your point that I'd like to talk about. And that is the actual implementation: I mean you may as well enjoy a game that gives you ample options to toy with but perhaps your criticism lies with the fact that these options are not conveyed to the player in a way that is simple and straight forward to understand or digest? You may be surprised to read that but... I actually agree! Here's the deal: ...

Now, in regards to the final game, it's a whole different issue. The main focus here is the upcoming story mode. There, we'll actually be able to incorporate a more structured approach introducing the player to each and every gameplay element. So, in a sense it will be nothing like this demo where you are given 1000 options at once and you have to manage it all in a short amount of time. In story mode the learning curve will be gradual, each weapon, item or power, the player will have to find and earn it, so there will be steady introduction to everything involved, in a pace most players will be able to follow (and hopefully) understand, without the need to refference the manual.
That would be trully great and solve this point completely.

Quote:
That's an issue of UAE I'm afraid (a matter of configuration or version perhaps?). The game plays perfectly with CD32 and real hardware as far as I know (Erik also owns a CD32 so he can confirm this). I've also tested the game with UAE and cannot replicate this. Let me understand, you use cd32 joypad with your UAE on your pc?
Sorry, I will try explain. I played the game under WinUAE with XBox360 gamepad. If the gamepad was set as joystick in WinUAE config and Joystick A or Joystick B in game everything was working fine. But after I set CD32 gamepad emulation in WinUAE and CD32 Joypad A in game, the game gets trashed after visiting shop or switching weapons...
Old 20 February 2018, 22:00   #62
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Cool, I saw this. It has been accepted, thank you!
All right, rock on
Old 22 February 2018, 08:35   #63
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
Sorry, I will try explain. I played the game under WinUAE with XBox360 gamepad. If the gamepad was set as joystick in WinUAE config and Joystick A or Joystick B in game everything was working fine. But after I set CD32 gamepad emulation in WinUAE and CD32 Joypad A in game, the game gets trashed after visiting shop or switching weapons...
I see. Have you tried different WinUAE versions? Or different settings?
Other than that I am not really sure how well the XBox360 gamepad configures through the system and copes with the emulator. There are a number of different issues that may be going wrong here, non of which we may have the capacity to test, detect or fix. More so, since the game already works perfectly with real CD32 joypads (original or 3rd party) and real machines. I guess one other thing you could also try is to test other CD32 games that make full use of the joypad.

Having said the above, I'd like to take this opportunity to talk about compatibility issues and modern game development for Amiga. The huge difference between the Amiga world and other retro scenes is the great diversity of hardware available. Where as in the C64 scene f.e. (or better, any game console) you only have to worry about one basic machine, with Amiga there are literally dozens upon dozens of different setup combinations one can have. You've got all the basic vanilla machines and then a huge collection of different accelerators, OS versions, Kickstarts and peripherals (drives, CFcard readers, adaptors e.t.c. e.t.c.) all of which may (or may not) interfere with how the machine behaves. So, it's been a challenge so far to tune the game to run perfectly, far beyond the spectrum of Amiga basic machines and common, non exotic peripherals. And this (obviously) without taking into account emulation.
Old 22 February 2018, 10:32   #64
DamienD
Banned

I also use wireless Xbox 360 controllers; I'll try to test with these to see what happens