English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 May 2011, 00:19   #21
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Just catching up with this thread.

If you decide you want to buy a set of WB3.1 Disks I have a brand new and unopened set here I'd be willing to sell for £15 + Postage.

As the others say it can be done without the disks and you can even setup the whole workbench through WinUAE

All the best,

Steve.
Old 29 May 2011, 01:03   #22
c0dehunter

Thanks for your responese!

Thanks. How do I insert before your SetPatch line in Startup-Sequence the following lines:
FailAt 11 C:CardPatch?

Where do I find my Startup-Sequence file? Sorry it has been a long time that I have not used my Amiga system!
Old 29 May 2011, 01:13   #23
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dehunter View Post
Thanks. How do I insert before your SetPatch line in Startup-Sequence the following lines:
FailAt 11 C:CardPatch?
Use 'ED', the full screen ASCII text editor.

Start ED from a Shell or with the Workbench Execute Command menu item. Open ED at the prompt by entering ED and the filename, in this case: "ED S:Startup-Sequence" (without the quotes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dehunter View Post
Where do I find my Startup-Sequence file? Sorry it has been a long time that I have not used my Amiga system!
It is in your System drive's 'S' directory.

Last edited by prowler; 29 May 2011 at 01:23. Reason: Added brief instructions.
Old 29 May 2011, 01:18   #24
c0dehunter

No luck. the cfd readme says:

Mount the drive by double-clicking cfd/devs/CF0.

1) where can I find this?

2) Where do I copy the contents of this fat95 ?

OK I got fat95 into L and tried to mount my CF0 by typing 'mount CF0' in a shell, I get this message:
Please insert volume CF in any drive

I am so frustrated!

Last edited by c0dehunter; 29 May 2011 at 02:41.
Old 29 May 2011, 03:13   #25
ppill
CON: artist

check this thread
Old 29 May 2011, 06:52   #26
c0dehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
check this thread
I did. This is the first thing that I did, and nothing happened.
Old 29 May 2011, 07:41   #27
c0dehunter

OK, so I have gathered all the necessary steps/elements that should make a PCMCIA CF to work properly in an Amiga system:

1) PCMCIA Adapter (older, 16bith version)
2) CF card
3) Following this guide here.
4) cfd.lha version 1.27
5) fat95.lha
6) CardReset v3.0
7) Formatting the CF card in FAT or FAT32
8) I need some entries in my startup-sequence. I am not certain about those.

My Progress:
1) I know my PCMCIA Adapter is a compatible one, so this first step is OK.

2) I have TWO CF cards, one is KINGSTON 4GB 9904318-030.A00LF (5282907-0356683) 2008 and the other one is an older CANON (came with my 2005 CANON Digital camera) FC-32MH 32MB Made in Japan (I need some confirmation on this step, since either of them could be the issues here)

3) Then I simply followed this guide here, and it was successful, (in a sense that I did not see any error message), and all the files/folders 'seem' to be in the correct places.

4) I downloaded cfd.lha version 1.27,

5) fat95.lha

6) CardReset v3.0 and installed them in the correct places.

7) I have indeed formatted my CF cards using a DOS command on an XP PC by using the following command: format f: /FS:FAT (f: being my CF drive letter)

8) What needs to be inserted into my startup-sequence.?

At this point, the reason my A600HD does not see the CF card should either be to an incompatible CF card (unlikely) or something else.

What gives?

These are other resources that I have asked/consulted for help:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=34351
(in the above link, ppill says:
Quote:
Make sure you've got the following:

compactflash.device in DEVS:
fat95 in L:
CF0 in DEVSOSDrivers/ (if you want to mount it automatically each boot)
or SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/ (if you want to do it manually by clicking on the icon or typing 'mount CF0:' in a shell)

If this fails, have a look at CardReset and CardPatch (there's a bug in the way A1200s handle the PCMCIA port, these proggies try to remedy that)

Both should go in your startup-sequence.
I am asking him: Both should HOW go into my startup-sequence?

In the following link, mfilos says:

Quote:
Just install CardPatch from Aminet and insert before your SetPatch line in Startup-Sequence the following lines:
FailAt 11
C:CardPatch

Also... if you installed all the neccesary files, you can check via HDToolBox using the Compactflash.device that the CF is regognised by the system as well.
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...d=1#post641015

When I click on CF0 (in stuff folder, using ppill's guide) I get this message:

[B]Device 'CF0:' is already mounted[/B]
Please help!

Thanks!

Last edited by c0dehunter; 29 May 2011 at 08:47.
Old 29 May 2011, 10:16   #28
c0dehunter

1) Can I use this guide instead?

http://www.amigakit.co.uk/support/adapcmcfl-boot.php

(I have an Amiga with an HDD though, its an A600HD)

2) Or should I reformat my Amiga600HD, and install WB 2.1 from scratch on it?
Old 29 May 2011, 10:45   #29
ppill

OK, there's a small bug in the install script in CFlash.run. It makes a back up of the original 'CF0' mount list (if present) and instead of renaming it and moving to devs/storage/dosdrivers it leaves the renamed file in the devs/dosdrivers drawer... so both CF0 and CF0_bck are mounted at startup, duh!

If that's the case delete the CF0_bck file.

Also try changing the entry Flags = 0 to Flags =2 in the CF0 file.

CardReset is not required for compactflash.device to work (from the readme):

Code:
v1.22    05/2003    Added alternative card socket resetting code.
EDIT:
Maybe have a look at ComFy.
Old 29 May 2011, 10:56   #30
c0dehunter

OK, I booted my A600HD from a floppy, containing WB 2.1. Then I used your script and it wrote some files onto my WB 2.1 floppy, and now to my surprise, the CF icon shows up! Now bear in mind I can only see my CF icon on the desktop (which confirms that my PCMCIA Adapter and CF were compatible!) only, and ONLY when I used this WB 2.1 floppy...The second I removed it from my Floppy drive, and boot my A600HD from hard drive, the icon is no longer there. This could mean two things,

That everything I did, somehow does not get "saved" onto my hard drive, or there is something amiss.

When I booted my A600HD from WB 2.1 floppy, the CF icon shows up. (by the way, on WB 2.1 floppy I did not install Cardpatch, Cardreset or modified my startup-sequence. I just run CFRun, and it wrote some files onto my WB 2.1 floppy, then I browsed to my L dir and run fat95 and all of a sudden the CF icon showed up!

Does this mean that I am stuck with this WB 2.1 floppy? Why these changes are not reflected on my hard drive?

thanks!
Old 29 May 2011, 11:15   #31
ppill

Well if you used the script when booting from the 2.1 WB disk then all the files were copied to that disk (it copies everything to the sys: partition which stands for the disk the system was booted from). That explains why it doesn't work when booting without it.

Are you sure this is a 2.1 disk? The mount entries work differently on that version. There's a single mountlist file in devs: that handles all the media and not individual files in devs:dosdrivers/...

Well at least you know it works
Old 29 May 2011, 11:57   #32
c0dehunter

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. Maybe my WB on hard drive is messed-up, should I partition my hard drive and install WB 2.1 from scratch on it? Would that help? Because I know that my PCMCIA and CF are compatible, and I didn't need the CardPatch and Cardreset, or modify my startuo-sequence files. So I am thinking maybe by starting from scratch, it might work on my hard drive this time.

Thanks!
Old 29 May 2011, 12:12   #33
ppill

No problem.

What kickstart is your A600HD running?
Old 31 May 2011, 04:43   #34
c0dehunter

KS 37.350 = 2.05
WB 38.36 = 2.1

The other thing that I can do is to remove my currnet hard drive, and replace it with a new formatted one. Couple of questions:

1) Do you know a good guide, for opening up, removing your existing hard drive and replacing it with a new one? Is it a complicated? What tools do I need?

2) Then I can install WB 2.1 on this new hard drive and try your complete package to see if it works for me and make my CF to show up on my WB desktop.

3) Do you know what hard drive size I need?

4) What is the maximum size the my A600HD can handle?

5) Should I go with a CF as an internal hard drive? (instead of a standard IDE)

6) Is there a good guide for formatting or repartitioning an IDE (or CF) hard drive and explaining how to install WorkBench the proper way?

Thanks!
Old 01 June 2011, 19:15   #35
TjLaZer

It looks like you have some missing or wrong files on your HD, I would manually check and install each file from the script to the HD.

I would check to see what you have in DevsOS Drivers and make sure FAT95 is installed correctly.

When you mount the CF0: it should allow you to access the drive if it was formatted on the PC.
Old 05 July 2011, 14:44   #36
ppill

Just some additional info on why the CF0 icon might not show up on an A600 running a 2.x kickstart and the 2.x 'mount' command from the workbench disk.

Just spent an hour figuring out a similar problem like the one in this thread.

The mount file CF0 in the cfd.lha archive is missing one important entry, namely 'Mount = 1' just at the end. It tells the system to initialise a volume when mounted and not on first access. The mount command from the 3.x workbench doesn't need it.

So when nothing happens after 'mount cf0:'. Try 'dir cf0:'. The icon should be visible now. If not you're in trouble

So when using 2.x mount command make sure you append the cf0 file to devs:mountlist and add 'Mount = 1' just after the Dostype entry.
Old 06 July 2011, 10:29   #37
roy bates

ide just like to inform everyone that i have an a600 and the adf transfer kit DONT work on it.its os 3.1 so the only work around i found was to connect the cf card to the ide port direct on the pc i have.
or use a cf to usb reader and do the adf transfer that way, thats of course if you have a cf card as your harddrive in your a600.