Old 03 October 2011, 09:40   #43
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxx View Post
Thank you guys !

I think, this could be the final ...

hope you like!

(left the pic in so it is visible on page 2)

Just awesome!
Old 04 October 2011, 02:49   #44
daxx

i've found this on web.. that looks fine too

Old 30 October 2011, 23:07   #45
Seblam

Oh just discovered this thread. I'm also working on a Shadow of the Beast remake since some time now (called Return of the Beast), see my website http://www.lamtec.fr
There is actually an engine running on OS4 that is a port of BeastPC project (http://www.bertinettobartolomeodavide.it/beastpc/). Running on OS4 because this is my main amiga system now, but I'm open to all amiga-like system (MOS,AROS,Classic, Natami).
You can try the demo on windows. Engine is a good basis, graphics are bad but it's what I'm trying to solve. I'm discussing with an artist to make new graphics, the same artist as for the artworks. My target is to finish a one-level technical demo. When I see the quality of the artworks in this thread, why not merging all the projects. A hobby project is always hard to achieved because it's hard to keep motivation during such a long time, so why not working all together??

Old 13 December 2011, 20:11   #46
Georg

Ok I just saw this one! The whole idea sounds fantastic. I could easily remake the whole soundtrack for to help anybody interested (example here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8Z5IJCXE ) and if I had the tiles and sprites, even remake a large part of the game (at least the first level which requires only side scrolling (for the rest I suppose I need some kind of mapping) . At any case I understand that the whole project is very very difficult, I wish all the best!!

Old 27 December 2011, 11:27   #47
Sonica

I'm sorry I neglected this project so early in it's lifetime, but I will be returning to it very soon.

Everyone's efforts will appreciated!

And... Seblam.... I'm interested in where you are with that.
Old 27 December 2011, 12:12   #48
Conundrum

I've got two questions Sonica, are you going to open source your project in the long run? Also, do you plan to include a classic mode to play with the original graphics?
Old 27 December 2011, 13:02   #49
Sonica

Ok, well. The game engine is a tricky one. I know what it is, and can easily do everything required. But it isn't anything known to everyone. So, I don't really know. (and I'd rather not mention the engine specifically right now)

As for the graphics modes, if it is wanted, of course! Though it does of course depend on the situation at the time.

I also aim to include an anaglyph 3D mode (or separate game altogether), being that everything has a layer. I think that the parallax would look really nice like that. And, I will definitely be sprucing up all the backgrounds, so they look more entertaining with or without this mode
Old 27 December 2011, 13:41   #50
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonica View Post
Ok, well. The game engine is a tricky one. I know what it is, and can easily do everything required. But it isn't anything known to everyone. So, I don't really know. (and I'd rather not mention the engine specifically right now)
Well I wasn't inquiring about making the engine, but rather if you would share the source code after you're done.

Quote:
And, I will definitely be sprucing up all the backgrounds, so they look more entertaining with or without this mode
Careful when doing this. Don't crowd the background with too much distracting elements. Remember that one thing that was very important in the mood of SoTB was the feeling of wasteland and desolation. Remember the immortal words of the Bard:"Brevity is the soul of wit", so sometimes it's just better to keep things simple.
Old 27 December 2011, 13:49   #51
Sonica

Any graphical changes (apart from the obvious!) will be subtle.

Last edited by Sonica; 03 January 2018 at 12:07.
Old 27 December 2011, 18:41   #52
Sonica

I was thinking, in an 'Original Sprites' mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.gif
Views:	4016
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	30185  

Last edited by Sonica; 03 January 2018 at 12:08.
Old 27 December 2011, 19:09   #53
Conundrum

Quote:
I was thinking, in an 'Original Sprites' mode, it could still use extra frames, like this.

I'm not sure if that would please everybody though.
That would be awesome, because the original game does indeed cut on the frames. Enemies have no death animations at all and just sink into the screen when they die. I also dislike the actual attack animation for the player character; punching enemies feels a bit silly and not "beastly" enough. I believe some kind of clawing animation would be more appropriate.
Old 27 December 2011, 19:29   #54
Sonica

Well he also uses a gun!

Old 27 December 2011, 19:48   #55
Conundrum

I believe the cutscenes should be kept, but must be made skippable. You can organize the text into blocks, rather than a scroll, which the player would skip individually by pressing fire, like JRPGs usually do.

Additionally I feel there should also be some sort of intro explaining Aarbron's story. I believe even purists would agree that it's capital for any remake to remove any dependancy from a separate manual. That includes the game's story as well.
Old 27 December 2011, 19:56   #56
Sonica

Oh yeah, totally!

Old 27 December 2011, 20:15   #57
Conundrum

Anything for retrogaming mate. I just wish other people would give their feedback as well to make sure everyone got happy.

As for the new intro one could keep it simple enough by doing something similar to [ Show youtube player ]. Static image with crawling text outlining the story briefly. Perhaps even using the Beast's close up from the title screen (one could even paint out the word "beast" and make it appear only after the text crawls are over).
Old 27 December 2011, 20:25   #58
Sonica

Hmm. That sounds like a good idea.

Old 27 December 2011, 20:29   #59
vulture

I'd just like to express how happy I am someone decided to modernize this great game!
Old 27 December 2011, 21:51   #60
Conundrum

I found a scan of the original manual featuring a few little drawings and some technical data that might be useful.

Link (pdf file).