English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 June 2007, 11:53   #1
Paul_s

Big grin Retro Gamer #39

Hey chaps,

Just got mine this morning

10-page article on the A500 with small articles on the A600,500 Plus & CDTV with a best games bit too

Shame they chose a beat up yellowed 500 for the shoot!

Looks good, not read it yet
Old 16 June 2007, 13:12   #2
Graham Humphrey

Presumably you subscribe to RG?

I've bought every issue of it but for some reason I've never got round to subscribing - I should do really.

Looking forward to that article when it comes out on Thursday, I enjoyed the A1200 one they had last year so hopefully this will be just as good.
Old 16 June 2007, 13:29   #3
Paul_s

Yup I'm subscribed Works out a lot cheaper too

Missed the A1200 one from last year Only saw it 3 issues ago
Old 21 June 2007, 17:36   #4
Graham Humphrey

Got this issue today, have to say it's a good read, both the mag in general and the Amiga article. I was well chuffed though - this quote from page 39:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Gamer issue 39
The last three years have seen a handful of decent shareware releases such as Metal Warrior and Tank Wars...
So my game Tank Wars gets another mention (even if it's not actually shareware - this writer could do with learning the difference between freeware and shareware, they're not the same thing).

Didn't like how he gave Amiga Forever the credit for advancing the Amiga emulation scene though, I mean Cloanto don't write WinUAE do they?

And has anyone seen the pic of those two limited edition German A500s on page 39 (bottom right)? They look awesome, does anyone own one of these? I never knew they existed before.
Old 21 June 2007, 17:44   #5
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
And has anyone seen the pic of those two limited edition German A500s on page 39 (bottom right)? They look awesome, does anyone own one of these? I never knew they existed before.
usefull info for us who dont read the mag
Old 21 June 2007, 17:45   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
So my game Tank Wars gets another mention (even if it's not actually shareware - this writer could do with learning the difference between freeware and shareware, they're not the same thing).
Congratulations mate, good to see some credit You should get it added to HOL. Now I'm a HOL SUPER CONTRIBUTOR I'll take MILLIONS of screenshots of it and email them all to Belgarath each week until he creates an entry for it

Quote:
Didn't like how he gave Amiga Forever the credit for advancing the Amiga emulation scene though, I mean Cloanto don't write WinUAE do they?

I hate it when stuff like this happens. 99% of people using Amiga emulation wouldn't touch Amiga Forever with a barge pole. The other 1% should know better

WinUAE is the heart of amiga emulation, ClAOANOTN just stick a shiny bow on it and take the credit. When the kickstart freedom revolution happens ClAONTONAO will be the first to fall
Old 21 June 2007, 17:52   #7
Dizzy
Pirate

GH @ is this the amiga from the mag

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/bundles/a500special.html
Old 21 June 2007, 17:55   #8
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Congratulations mate, good to see some credit You should get it added to HOL. Now I'm a HOL SUPER CONTRIBUTOR I'll take MILLIONS of screenshots of it and email them all to Belgarath each week until he creates an entry for it
Thanks! That's a good idea actually, I would love to see it in HOL, I may investigate this

Quote:
I hate it when stuff like this happens. 99% of people using Amiga emulation wouldn't touch Amiga Forever with a barge pole. The other 1% should know better

WinUAE is the heart of amiga emulation, ClAOANOTN just stick a shiny bow on it and take the credit. When the kickstart freedom revolution happens ClAONTONAO will be the first to fall
You can understand why they would mention Amiga Forever, after all it's legal and a professional magazine isn't going to publicly condone downloading Kicstart ROMs and such - but really, it isn't too much to ask to give Toni the credit for writing it is it? He's spent years on WinUAE and is still fully committed to updating and supporting it and it makes me sick to see rip-off merchants like Cloanto getting all the credit. But anyway...
Old 21 June 2007, 17:56   #9
Graham Humphrey

@Dizzy:

The very ones! They look incredibly cool.
Old 22 June 2007, 13:53   #10
P-J

Holy shit-- How did I miss this?

This is still the current issue, right? *Nips to WHSmith*
Old 22 June 2007, 14:01   #11
BobRedthorp
Huge member

Yeah, it was officially released in the shops yesterday, I quoted a bit from it on another thread here about the unreleased game putty squad, which seems to be heating up a little
Old 22 June 2007, 16:01   #12
Paul_s

Quote:

Best place to look for these is on ebay.de I've seen both models going a year or so ago but they're pretty rare shizzle
Old 23 June 2007, 14:28   #13
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

I got hold of this magazine myself, it brought back so many memories that I had to come back onto these forums and start off my Amiga passion again. (Think the wife ain't going to be too happy! ) I really enjoyed going through the pictures and trying to name the games.
Old 30 June 2007, 20:08   #14
Paul_s

Oh btw, the A1200 article Graham talks about is from issue #22 Another good read eBay seem to have a few going
Old 30 June 2007, 20:09   #15
Graham Humphrey

I presume you managed to get a copy from Ebay then? How much did that set you back, as some issues of RG on there can be quite pricey...
Old 30 June 2007, 20:14   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s
Best place to look for these is on ebay.de I've seen both models going a year or so ago but they're pretty rare shizzle
Aah, the Stefanie Tücking designed Amigas. She moderated a famous german video clip show in the 80s. I saw the Leopard edition on eBay some month ago.

Some weeks ago:

http://cgi.ebay.at/Amiga-500-DESIGN-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 June 2007 at 20:36.
Old 30 June 2007, 20:35   #17
Paul_s

Quote:
I presume you managed to get a copy from Ebay then? How much did that set you back, as some issues of RG on there can be quite pricey...
618 pence posted

Nay bad
Old 30 June 2007, 20:44   #18
Graham Humphrey

Pretty good, I've seen a couple go for over a tenner before so I think you've done well
Old 30 June 2007, 23:36   #19
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
Aah, the Stefanie Tücking designed Amigas. She moderated a famous german video clip show in the 80s. I saw the Leopard edition on eBay some month ago.

Some weeks ago:

http://cgi.ebay.at/Amiga-500-DESIGN-...QQcmdZViewItem
at the price!

I'm going to create a new thread about these with loads of nice pics watch out!
Old 01 July 2007, 00:37   #20
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I used to get it when it came with the cover discs. I had 6 months left on the subscription when the company prining it went under. I've got the subscription half price anyway. With the new company releasing retro gamer I got 2 magazines free. I then bought a few more. I didn't like it as much as the original. Think I have the first 30 retro gamer magazines when I stopped buying them.