English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 April 2003, 13:20   #21
Jan

I'm fine with it. Of course, the first thing I had to do was to remove the WinXP candy look and replace it with the traditional Win98 look. And the start menu was a pain, too, but now it looks like a modernized Win98 with some more nice features.

Oh, and it never crashed on me. At work I'm using WinNT 4.0 and this one crashes once a week.
Old 27 April 2003, 17:14   #22
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan

Oh, and it never crashed on me. At work I'm using WinNT 4.0 and this one crashes once a week.
Hmm, didn't have this kind of problem with NT4.xx myself. I did find a bad and/or poorly written device driver a couple of times that caused the main app we used to crash the machine, B.S.O.D., if the display was using 32bit pallete mode :eek but since 16 bit mode was just fine we worked around that problem. I don't recall any machines bahaving this way unless there were some hardware issues. I'd have your IT department look at replacing the RAM first then try again, also found that with NT you can actually get a corrupted swap file. You had to resize it to 2MB, reboot, run the dskchk app on the drive then reboot once more, then you could resize the swap file back to a more normal size
Old 27 April 2003, 17:58   #23
Jan

The problem is known to our IT department, and they are thinking about changing all our computers to Win2000 or even Linux. But since nobody outside the IT department is familiar with Linux, they will probably go with Win2000. Well, that is as soon as the managers are willing to pay for a couple hundred licences.

I noticed that in almost all cases when my work PC crashes, it has something to do with Internet Explorer 5. Take a wrong turn and you can enjoy the WinNT blue screen.
Old 27 April 2003, 18:11   #24
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan
I noticed that in almost all cases when my work PC crashes, it has something to do with Internet Explorer 5. Take a wrong turn and you can enjoy the WinNT blue screen.
I'm assuming that a BSOD appears, is the machine set to write the save dump file then auto-reboot? If so then have the IT people look at the dump info to get a read of the problem, most likely a corrupted system file and/or device driver file. I bet the graphics card driver as this is a prime culprit for NT machines. If the IT department needs some help in finding this info out they can visit MS's knowledge base articles