English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 September 2008, 08:07   #1
SkippyAR

Floppy disk Amiga Realm - An Amiga Internet Directory

With special thanks for kind offer of hosting from EAB member Magix:

http://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=265

I have uploaded the Amiga Realm Archive. A once active Amiga dedicated Internet Archive and Directory Service that was online from 1998 - 2000.

Obviously as the site has been offline and archived itself for more than 8 years you might find the occasional dead link. So don't go ballistic, simply report it to me via EAB. Maybe sticky this post.

AR was predominately aimed at the Classic Amiga User, however, there was support for all its variants, including emulation. So the site will have a vintage slant on it.

As and when free time permits I'll have a go at updating it.

Hopefully it will have it uses. Skipster.

http://amigarealm.whdownload.com/

Old 06 September 2008, 08:30   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Now I see what it is about
Plain look of the site (nothing bad about that), but (of course) most of the links don't work anymore after 8 years. I really hope you find the time to update the site Skippy
Old 06 September 2008, 09:07   #3
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
Wow, you did it. I hope that you can update soon.

Last edited by Magix; 06 September 2008 at 09:07. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06 September 2008, 09:09   #4
SkippyAR

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Now I see what it is about
Plain look of the site (nothing bad about that), but (of course) most of the links don't work anymore after 8 years. I really hope you find the time to update the site Skippy
It used to have graphics, but I removed them in favour of a plain to look simplify web browsing for the Amiga (1999). The 'heavy weights' in the online Amiga community are still available. It's mainly personal homepages that are dead. A lot of personal websites were archived to AR.

The site moved more towards archiving in 2000 anyway as the Amiga's future looked so bleak. IE:commercial magazines dwindled, lack of support, software and hardware.

What would help update the site content, is people posting suggested links here maybe. IE: You Tube Amiga Related, Top 10 Amiga Bookmarks, Nostalgia.

I'm gonna cross-reference to the Elites anyway; EAB, Amiga.org, Ebay, AmiBay, Exotica, Aminet, You Tube and so forth...

But before all that, I'm having my breakfast.

(There is a German, French, and Japanese translated section that might need attention. I used Altavista back then)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magix View Post
Wow, you did it. I hope that you can update soon.
Yip! I validated the domain links, re-directed them to whdownload, and uploaded the lot from DVD.

And now I need food, and maybe a little nap.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 06 September 2008 at 10:54. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged

Old 06 September 2008, 09:21   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You a good breakfast Skippy
I will search for some links and post them here, so you can feed Amiga Realm with new stuff
Old 06 September 2008, 12:09   #6
Xenon

Very good website and reference for the users With some updates, it can be really a must-visit :P
Old 06 September 2008, 17:02   #7
poohbear

Cool!

Just a thought, if linked sites are dead, they may be archived on archive.org. You could replace dead links with a link to the archived version instead.
Old 06 September 2008, 17:12   #8
Graham Humphrey

Fantastic, a cracking idea for a site. Could be very useful.
Old 06 September 2008, 17:13   #9
hit

nice site. i like to dig into old stuff. often gives some ideas whats been missing/forgotten and what to look for
found a non working link and maybe the fix for it:

http://amigarealm.whdownload.com/computing/pc6.htm
-> Lost Amiga Lambs
fix: http://old.amiga.tm/

not sure, but it seems related.

Edit: i vote for a sticky for it

Last edited by hit; 06 September 2008 at 17:15. Reason: sticky
Old 06 September 2008, 17:18   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit View Post
Edit: i vote for a sticky for it
Second that
Old 06 September 2008, 18:14   #11
SkippyAR

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Fantastic, a cracking idea for a site. Could be very useful.
Cheers, unfortunately there isn't any reference yet to EAB as it pre-dated this site. Added a link on the Main Index. (Will added some links in soon.)

I've just requested to be added to the Peopler Finder:

http://gauhpil.dietmar-knoll.de/GAUHPIL.php?l=en

(heh)

Google Earth me.
51°30'1.25"N
2°41'56.53"W

Old 07 September 2008, 06:46   #12
SkippyAR

Update

I've found a lost section of Amiga Realm called AmiPal. Which was run by Paul Laycock in 1999. He did software, hardware and games reviews.

(not yet uploaded)

Also, something els dawn on me this morning. There is software on Amiga Realm that is password protected in RAR, either because its commercial or personal, etc. It was uploaded in case someone desperately needed to a request for and had damaged their originals, but required proof before file could be unlocked. Only problem is I can't file the PASSWORDS. Doh!

Also I think Amiga Realm actually dates back further to 1996 not 1999, I've found coded dated 96 and 97. I also remember some guy at Cucug.org wanting me to shut down my site or else legal action was to be taken because I was using the name Amiga Web Directory, which he claimed was his. Although the Amiga name is a brand trademarked name. Well anyway he wouldn't stop moaning so it became 'An Amiga Internet Directory Service and Archive Resource'. Then I archived his site onto mine without him knowing (heh).

There were also secret areas of AR that could be accessed via the search engine facility. One of them was a tribute to the original TV series 'The Bionic Woman" 70s.

Last edited by SkippyAR; 07 September 2008 at 06:53.

Old 07 September 2008, 06:54   #13
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

There are programs to crack passwords on rar archives.
Old 07 September 2008, 07:05   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
There are programs to crack passwords on rar archives.
Yeah, but depending on the length of the passwords this can take ages to finish. I tried it and we are talking about days to weeks for one file...
Old 07 September 2008, 07:45   #15
SkippyAR

Thumbs down

I've been through my archives and can't find the password list. So I'm using Dictionary, Boost up and Brute Force on a RAR file to see if they can be unlocked.

Pain in the arse. I remember they are 8 characters long and a combination of letters and mainly numbers.

39 Files to be looked at. (whah)

Old 07 September 2008, 08:04   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyAR View Post
I've been through my archives and can't find the password list. So I'm using Dictionary, Boost up and Brute Force on a RAR file to see if they can be unlocked.

Pain in the arse. I remember they are 8 characters long and a combination of letters and mainly numbers.

39 Files to be looked at. (whah)
Do you have a spare PC for running this Skippy? I think 8 characters aren't too bad. It shouldn't take too long. I would like to know how it took when you're done with the first one.
Old 07 September 2008, 08:15   #17
SkippyAR

I gave up after 5mins. I built another PC yesterday to put in the lounge to connect up to the TV for music and films. (part of my media entertainment project).

I'll have to see if I can find the originals, probably in the loft. Quite annoying because some of the software is quite difficult to come by these days.

Now I'm really unhappy, and I'm confused because I've got up too early.

This is more of the aftermath of HD crashes from the years past

Old 09 September 2008, 11:46   #18
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Great work skippy, may all my froggy ribbits help you along the way
Old 20 October 2016, 16:22   #19
ascp
Pastafarian

I would like to get in contact with SkippyAR even though he's left this board. Does anyone know of any other ways to get in touch with him? Magix maybe? Please pm if so.

EDIT: I found his old email here http://www.amibay.com/member.php?594-skippy but it's not valid. Reason I would like to get in touch is that I want to know if he has any backups of his amigarealm and world of jetset skippy reference sites left that he could donate to the community.. Both contained much treasured information.

Last edited by ascp; 21 October 2016 at 00:59.