English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 April 2009, 02:43   #1
mattbarton.exe

My Defender of the Crown Video Review

Hi, guys. I thought you might like to see a video review I made of one of my favorite games, Defender of the Crown, the first game I played on my Amiga 1000! Please check it out and let me know what you think. BTW, I am doing weekly video reviews of classic games. If you have any requests for future episodes, please let me know. I already intend to review Ports of Call, Secret of Monkey Island, and The Settlers at some time or another!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 April 2009, 03:19   #2
extralife

well how about u take a shot at danish made battle squadron ,to see if it still holds up today I know I simply love the hell out of that game, still looks and plays awesome and trying to beat that next highscore is pretty addicting, I would allso loove to see u review some of those arcade conversions that was made back in the day, god!!! i still hate the guys who fucked up ghouls'n ghosts and commando, and im not even going to mention the r-type series lol

whoops checked some of your vid reviews, well games that made an impact, surely lemmings needs to be reviewed

Last edited by extralife; 13 April 2009 at 03:43.
Old 13 April 2009, 03:58   #3
mattbarton.exe

Lemmings

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
whoops checked some of your vid reviews, well games that made an impact, surely lemmings needs to be reviewed
Ah, yes! Lemmings was one of my favorites--and certainly very innovative. I'll have to add it to the queue, thanks!
Old 13 April 2009, 08:00   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Excellent review, Matt. I am going to buy the Vintage Games book next time I am in Borders or B&N.
Old 13 April 2009, 13:11   #5
extralife

hey matt, i checked some more off your reviews, i really enjoyed them, especially the elite review, that game was freakin hard man
anyways while wacthing it, I got a few more must haves for u, like pirates, u cant have ANY games up without pirates and offcoz civilization!!!! those two are in my mind some of the absolute best games ever written, lookin forward to see some more of your great reviews, cheers m8
Old 13 April 2009, 13:25   #6
Sensi
Unregistered User

Disappoitment with Elite video I want Amiga version Good docking.

DM and DOTC I like the most. If you wanna be friend with me, make Monkey Island video

Cool videos and I like the way you are talking about games, if you were teacher you would get students attention very easily.

edit - assistant professor of english, interests: rhetoric, its clear now
Old 13 April 2009, 14:08   #7
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Welcome to EAB Matt. Your reviews are very entertaining.
Old 13 April 2009, 14:53   #8
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Great Video Matt - Really enjoyed it - I like the look of your books also!
Old 13 April 2009, 15:18   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Matt and welcome to EAB
Nice DotC review you made there Looking forward to see more of those
Old 13 April 2009, 16:17   #10
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Very entertaining reviews Matt. Welcome to EAB.

Keep em comin
Old 13 April 2009, 17:03   #11
mattbarton.exe

Wow, thanks so much guys, you made my day! I only wish students were as interested in English as we're interested in Amiga!

I have been wanting to do Monkey Island for some time, but I'm facing a problem. I haven't figured out which version came out first (there are some 3 versions that came at the same time). I try to go with the original whenever possible. If anyone can shed some light on the Monkey Island game, I'd appreciate it. I suspect it was the DOS version, but can't be sure.

I agree about Pirates and Civ being must-reviews. Definitely adding them to the queue.

I'd kind of like to look at Mindwalker, too, since I still think it was very fun and weird. I also like Alien Fires, especially when I got to chat with the author a few years back. I got to talk to an Epyx guy in SF as well; he was down on the Amiga, though (he claimed Epyx failed because it invested so heavily in Amiga, Apple IIgs, and Atari ST). He still had to admit it had the best graphics, though.
Old 13 April 2009, 17:42   #12
AmigaFriend

Hey Matt, congratulations. You made some excellent reviews.

Insightful and interesting, not only for us, old game dogs, but also for any newcomer who don't know anything about those games.
Old 13 April 2009, 17:58   #13
Sensi
Unregistered User

I think first versions which came out were ST, Mac and PC-EGA versions (you mean these probably). I would choose ST or Mac then because EGA version is ugly. And we are on amiga board so ... Mac

For me its Amiga version that I adore, one of my first game I ever played, my fav of all time.

These two could help:

Lucas Forums

SCUMM Bar

I watched other two videos, do you mind if I download them all?
Old 13 April 2009, 18:24   #14
cane

Nice review videos you've made Matt ; hope to see more in future, especially Pirates and Civilization.
Old 14 April 2009, 05:41   #15
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
Wow, thanks so much guys, you made my day! I only wish students were as interested in English as we're interested in Amiga!

I have been wanting to do Monkey Island for some time, but I'm facing a problem. I haven't figured out which version came out first (there are some 3 versions that came at the same time). I try to go with the original whenever possible. If anyone can shed some light on the Monkey Island game, I'd appreciate it. I suspect it was the DOS version, but can't be sure.

I agree about Pirates and Civ being must-reviews. Definitely adding them to the queue.

I'd kind of like to look at Mindwalker, too, since I still think it was very fun and weird. I also like Alien Fires, especially when I got to chat with the author a few years back. I got to talk to an Epyx guy in SF as well; he was down on the Amiga, though (he claimed Epyx failed because it invested so heavily in Amiga, Apple IIgs, and Atari ST). He still had to admit it had the best graphics, though.
Matt, how about Shadowgate/Uninvited? Those are games with a unique interface that is no long seen nowadays.
aaaaaajust noticed you thanked Doomaster.
The legendary Doomy! YIKES
Old 14 April 2009, 18:55   #16
mattbarton.exe

As far as I know, Shadowgate and Uninvited originated on the Macintosh along with Deja Vu, which was the first Icom Simulations game if I recall correctly. I love those games, but, man, do they ever look better on the Amiga than on the Mac!

They were innovative in their use of icons, drag'n drop, and windows. I played them all!
Old 14 April 2009, 19:02   #17
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Great review matt, thanks!
I´m gonna play DotC today!
Old 02 May 2009, 16:23   #18
pepinos

matt

congratulations for your video

it remides us the good old days of pure amiga gaming
Old 02 May 2009, 17:09   #19
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Great review! I never knew there were different 'love' scenes you could get and that they were random. Interesting. Thankfully there's no "Don't worry it happens to every man once in awhile" screen (although when Geoffrey looks sad in his portrait you can almost imagine that's what happened).

Does anyone know what the Amiga version is missing that other versions have? I know it doesn't have the screen that shows the armies attacking and is missing the Greek Fire and Disease pots on the catapult screen (as pointed out in the review). Other versions also had the option of blocking during the swordfight screen which I think is also missing from the Amiga version (and the PC version IIRC).
Old 03 May 2009, 03:29   #20
mattbarton.exe

I'm not sure Tempest, since I haven't played the game on other platforms. However, I've seen the other stuff on Wikipedia. I seem to remember seeing a webpage that listed all the differences, but can't seem to find it now.

When I was a kid, I played the game over and over until I got to see all the women. I still think Rosalind is the prettiest! Then again, I'm a sucker for curly redheads!

http://www.randelshofer.ch/animation...nd.animVE.html

Mmm.