English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 December 2003, 17:14   #1
Amigalizard

Unhappy Hardfile for wb1.3/kickstart1.3 possible?

Can anyone tell me how to set up a hardfile for winuae for use with a virtual amiga 500 running wb1.3? When I create the file the amiga doesn't seem to see it.

wb 3.0 sees the hardfile no problem- icon shows up, formats it, etc.

I want to use it for my amiga 500 running wb 1.3. I tried formatting it in 3.0 and then re-adding it to the 1.3 amiga, but no luck- it still doesn't see it.

One other question- When using windows directories for hard drives, I get out of space errors when I try to install games and such using the install to hard drive that comes on the disk with the game. This happens nearly every time. The only commercial game I've gotten to install to hard drive using the windows directories as the hard drive has been pool of radiance- all the others give me an out of space error. Any way to convince the thing that I've got plenty of space on my harddrive when it's a windows filesystem?

One more thing- can anyone tell me where to locate a copy of shinobi? I've got a copy for my real amiga, but can't find it anywhere to download...

Thanks a bunch!

Old 06 December 2003, 18:15   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
hardfile for winuae for use with a virtual amiga 500 running wb1.3?
Edit "FileSys" in hardfile's properties to path pointing to FastFileSystem (FFS must be copied from WB 1.3 floppy's L-directory, newer versions are not compatible with KS 1.3)

This hack is needed because autoboot/mount under KS 1.3 requires FFS in disk's RDB but regular HDFs don't have RDB..

KS2.0+ have FFS in ROM.

Quote:
When using windows directories for hard drives, I get out of space errors
You have too much free space Many installers have integer overflow bugs in free space calculation algorithms if drive is bigger than about 2G.
Old 07 December 2003, 05:25   #3
Amigalizard

Unsuccessful

Thank you very much for your reply.
I tried what you said, with out success.
Here is what I did-
I created a 500 mb hardfile called hardfile.
I copied fastfilesystem from workbench1.3:l/ to the same directory on winxp as this hardfile.
I then set the filesys of the hardfile volume settings to the fastfilesystem file in that directory.
The other entries on the volume settings read:
surfaces 1
reserved 2
bootpri 0
sectors 32
block size 512
I have the read/write box checked

Still when I boot wb1.3 up on the a500, it doesn't see the hardfile.
I never had a real harddrive for my real amiga 500, so this is the first time for me with the hardfile. I've been using the windows directories as hard disks for several months. Does the hardfile require special setup under workbench 1.3 before it can see it? Do I need to change my settings?

Any ideas why I'm having problems still?

Must be doing something wrong...

Thank you so much for your help- I've had a blast getting my old amiga back. The past several weeks I downloaded a bunch of magazine disks with public domain or shareware stuff on them and have workbench 1.3 doing things I never knew it could back when I was using the real deal. There's something that is just a lot of fun and more secure and comforting being back on the old amiga again.

Old 07 December 2003, 10:02   #4
Paul
RIP Friends

http://jambo.abime.net/howto.php
Old 10 December 2003, 20:13   #5
Amigalizard

Thanks a Lot Guys!

Thanks for the help and info.
Paul-
Jambo site is great- got the hardfile up and going now. According to the site kickstart 1.3 can't format the hardfile first time, so I just swapped with my kickstart 3 and left wb1.3 in there, and formatted a 500 mb hardfile, then swapped back to kickstart 1.3 and for some reason I had to then reformat but at least it could see it and it's working great now.
Toni-
Thanks for the info on too much space on my hard drive. I had a 2 gb partition on my drive that wasn't being used for anything much, so I just moved the filesystem over to there and I've installed a couple of games to hard drive no problem. Thanks for the tip!

Old 10 December 2003, 21:57   #6
Marcuz

yep that guide is great, it helped me doing the same just yesterday!
so thanx