English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 12 December 2003, 11:57   #1
MethodGit

Poltergeist-like "ECS Agnus" switch bug

Has anyone had this particular problem lately?

You're setting up your virtual Miggy as usual, when you, say, change the chipset to "OCS" in the process. You head to other options, change them around, yet when you check on the "Chipset" tab again, it has magically readjusted itself to "ECS Agnus". Almost any option you alter causes the chipset to change back to what I presume is the default setting. Even if you change it to OCS then immediately fire up afterwards - another check of the GUI during emulation reveals that........ godDAMNIT... it's once again gone back to "ECS Fricking Agnus"! It's only when you once again change to OCS then reset the Amiga afterwards that it actually STAYS on OCS, like, for real.

This has happened in 0.8.22R9, and I discovered it still happens in 0.8.23 as well.

I have not tested this extensively to see whether it happens with other chipsets so far. So I don't know if AGA will automatically disable itself just as you're trying to run an AGA app/game or whatever.

Is it system-related? If so, let me know if I need to give comp details.
Old 12 December 2003, 13:49   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You have configured more than 0.5M chip RAM.

Many programs that require >0.5M chip also need real ECS Agnus (8372A or newer, older versions only support max 0.5M chip) or display corruption will happen -> bug reports I didn't want so see
Old 12 December 2003, 21:33   #3
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I had noticed that whenever I changed my chip ram setting to > 512K it automatically changed from OCS to ECS Agnus, and I was quite happy to see that it did. When I'm building a config I often have to experiment with the settings before I find the right combination, and that eliminates one more mistake that I might make. I haven't tried this yet, but I assume that if I load a config that has ECS Agnus/1 MB chip ram and then go select OCS, it should also change my chip ram setting to 512K. Hmmm, I think I'll have to try that out when I get home.