English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 06 January 2019, 23:11   #1
lsan

Modding a PC gamepad - 2nd button issue

Hi all,

I had a MS sidewinder gamepad lying around, with an old PC PC game port plug that's not used anymore. I decided to turn that gamepad into an amiga 2 button gamepad, mostly for the fun and challenge. So I picked up a DB9 female plug, a 7 wire cable, and modded the sidewinder, which has solder points on the PCB for each button, so I thought this would be a quite simple mod. Everything works great for the 4 directions and fire 1, but I'm having trouble with fire 2 on pin 9. Obviously simply wire the button to pin 9 like I did for the other directions/button doesn't work. I read quite everything I could find on the subject here and on other forums, but I'm a bit lost. I read about resistors of different values, pull-ups, etc, sometimes between pin 9 and 8 (ground), sometimes between pin 9 and 7 (+5V). I'm sure it's not an hardware problem because if I assign what's supposed to be button 2 to up direction, for instance, it works perfectly. So it's a matter of the amiga not detecting the button press when it's wired to pin 9. Does anyone have an idea of what I could do to make it work? I don't like to give up ? I May have technical questions if you give me ideas, as my technical understanding of what's going on is superficial... sorry about that...

Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

Old 07 January 2019, 08:17   #2
DanyPPC

Some discussions:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76554
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...+button&page=2

You probably have a 1.D4/2B A1200 revision.
Old 07 January 2019, 19:31   #3
lsan

Thanks for the links. I already partially read those threads and tried some of the suggested solutions, but with no success so far. In particular, I tried using a 10k resistor, but I'm not sure how to wire it properly. Besides, different resistor values are mentioned in different posts: 10k, 1k, 4k7... I'm pretty sure using the right resistor, correctly wired, will solve my problem, but I'm not sure what to test next, and how to do it correctly. I'll check my MB revision and carefully read about the 1.D4/2B if mine is one...