English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 23 October 2005, 17:40   #21
foody

I like number 2. It is perfect!! * Gives you a tight hug * I am awaiting with aniticipation for the Option menu You are doing a perfect job by the way I am sure you are going to do excellent job when it comes to creating the sprites for the game

We are keeping the background for number 2. Also the wavey effect will not be strong because it is already funky as it is
Old 23 October 2005, 18:24   #22
Marcuz

link updated with the version requested, logo and background
[marco: edited away, game published, logo unused]

Last edited by Marcuz; 21 June 2006 at 15:24.
Old 24 October 2005, 15:25   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Right, Wuzzi Logo only uses 33 colours from your pallete of 128. I like the style of the logo, but at a low res it looks too jagged. If its going to be in 128 or near amount of colours, the logo could do with more reds being used to make it look more solid.

Did you draw it by hand or was it done as an effect in a paint program?

Either way, I love the style, but its not very economical at the moment. Just my thoughts on it so far.
Old 24 October 2005, 17:07   #24
foody

Would it be economical at a higher resolution? I also agree with more reds, but the style of the Logo and background is perfect in my opinion and he did capture the colors for it. But that is an opinon of one person here what other suggestions do you think needs to be improved upon Galahad?
Old 24 October 2005, 17:18   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Well, the fact is, although this is AGA, if the graphics don't require 128 colours, then we dont need to use them all. Just for the Wuzzi logo it would look better with more colour.

High Res would be ok as an options screen traditionally doesn't generally do much, the background is ok, but again, its in 128 colours but it doesn't use anywhere near the amount.

Although the background is ok, its going to cause problems for overlaying text, in that the text is going to have to be exceptionally well drawn with smooth outlines so it doesn't look bad on the background.

I think what is also good to point out now, is just because it doesn't use 128 colours doesn't mean it can't look good. So for instance, it would be nice for the background to be animated in some way, but at 128 colours, that will eat a HUGE amount of memory up.

Perhaps, instead of drawing a big background, Marco could draw some interesting 16x16 block animations and we could fill up the background with those.

I'm just trying to help conjure up some ideas as I have some experience in this. What I will do is draw a mockup of a possible title screen which might give Foody and Marco ideas of what I mean.

I do like the Wuzzi logo, but it needs more colour to make it smoother looking.

I will do something tonight and you can judge for yourselves what I mean.
Old 24 October 2005, 18:00   #26
foody

What Galahad said "Although the background is ok, its going to cause problems for overlaying text, in that the text is going to have to be exceptionally well drawn with smooth outlines so it doesn't look bad on the background." I wonder Macro, if were to use this background and do as Galahad suggested making them 16 X 16 then having them form a background as if one big piece, would you be able to create the menu's, credit and so on as well smooth and good to not look bad on the background? Is it possible also Macro, to use all the 128 colors if you can? We can use 32 colors for example in the 128 color palette in the game board, etc, but for the title can you use all the 128 colors? 128 colors?! Why not use 256 colors?? Galahad can Macro use 256 colors instead of 128?

Last edited by foody; 24 October 2005 at 19:07.
Old 24 October 2005, 19:39   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Marco can use 256 colours if he wants, but the fact is, having a bigger colour pallete and actually using all those colours are two different issues.

I would like to see the Wuzzi logo in more colours and with a smoother outline.

Or logo in less colours and a smoother outline. It really makes no difference to me. If I cant upload a preview of the title tonight, it will be up tomorrow.
Old 24 October 2005, 19:56   #28
foody

Macro use as much as colors as possible, remember this is a HAM8 game, that means you should not limit yourself on colors. In the game internally, having to use 32 colors or even 64 colors and maintain eye candy graphics is fine but with titles, options, and menu/credit text, use as much as colors as possible to make you go WOW. This game is nothing more than a simple board game and to compensate for something like this, an eye candy graphics is the..how should I put this....herbs for the food.
Old 24 October 2005, 21:14   #29
Marcuz

some questions: the palette for the logo should use also the colour of the tiles of background? for smoother, you mean there it should be an antialias effect on the border or that the border pixel should have the same colour? with should be the definitive resolution for the splash screen? i can do the mods requested np then
Old 25 October 2005, 00:40   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Because the logo is on top of the background, it must be from the same colour palette. Seeing as you can use upto 256 colours if you really want, you have lots of colours to play with

The outside of the logo needs to be a little smoother I think.

Make sure that logo and background are separate, but that they use the same colour palette.

Its going well so far
Old 25 October 2005, 02:55   #31
foody

This is indeed going well. Galahad I am wondering what is my mission on this project. Right now you are the coder because the game is in ASM which is PERFECT and I will be part of the coder for Macro's project, I would like to contribute on my very own project too lol! Beside giving suggestions and outlining what the game is and everything, what would be my next job. I will leave the coding for you on this project.
Old 25 October 2005, 21:55   #32
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I dont have time to upload a mini preview tonight (missus wants me to watch TV with her!), but I have redone your logo Marco.

Its now 640x512 Hires Interlace 128 colours, and on a white background, your logo looks pretty good

All I am doing is something just to show you that progress can be made, and it will give Foody and Marco ideas on where to go.

I haven't included your background because its a separate palette, and it ruins the look of your logo to be honest.

I will upload it in the morning.
Old 26 October 2005, 02:29   #33
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Question: what copy protection are you guys going to use? I mean, this game HAS to be cracked with the proper intro added to it (never mind that it's free!), or it just won't feel right.

Seriously: I have been scouting around the net looking for Amiga/motorola ASM tutorials, or just basic amiga tutorials explaining how to use the Amiga specific hardware. I have been fairly succesful on the motorola part, but I don't have much amiga stuff yet. Only programmers heaven (my favourite website when I was coding dos stuff) seems to still have SOME info on the subject:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone20/mh60.htm

Anyone know of some other docs? I'll keep looking, but I'm getting a bit fed up with hitting one dead link after another
Old 26 October 2005, 19:42   #34
foody

But interlace will cause flicker. I don't want interlace in the game, if flicker can be avoided then do it but if not, then forget it.
Old 26 October 2005, 20:21   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

The flicker isn't bad, AGA Interlace mode is more stable than OCS/ECS Interlace.

I can also do Super Hires Interlaced. Very nice to look at

Judge when you see it
Old 26 October 2005, 22:04   #36
foody

okey dokey
Old 27 October 2005, 00:34   #37
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

In fact, check out my unrealeased AGA demo in the zone to see how well AGA Interlace works. Lots of Super Hires Laced images.
Old 27 October 2005, 13:18   #38
foody

Actually I am waiting still for your work. I want to see how it looks like. I want Macro's opinion on the matter as well and see what he have to say after all he is the graphics designer here, if he is going to improve upon your work and it works out and we all agree upon it then we can move to the next I would also be interested to see your demo's as well, please provide me the link for your demo sections.
Old 27 October 2005, 14:06   #39
Marcuz

yes sorry i'm very distracted this couple of week for work stuff, so let me know if you still need me to redo the logo, wich it's no problem but i cannot do before monday, or if we can go on; i would like to see the Galahad demo too; foody, it is MaRCo
Old 27 October 2005, 19:08   #40
foody

Galahad can you start now on the engine development while we are getting the arts for the title, sprites and so on? You can simply draw a 16 X 16 square, one colored green representing the board, red for player one and blue for player two and start developing on the engine please? I decided to add a medium AI between player and computer as well