English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 22 February 2017, 20:33   #1
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Floppy disk PoroTracker - mod tracker for Windows

Been working on this for a while, but it's finally usable enough to post about: PoroTracker is basically an Impulse/Schism Tracker clone, but for Amiga ProTracker compatible mods. It's freeware, portable, but Windows only currently.

This uses a super-accurate playroutine based on 8bitbubsy's code (similar to what's used in his PT clone), but with a very different user interface and feature set.

Download and more info

Last edited by hukka; 22 February 2017 at 20:42.
Old 22 February 2017, 21:30   #2
1time
Amiga Lover

Works really well. Good work!
Old 22 February 2017, 22:22   #3
kriz

Cool, just tried it out and works great !!! Thx
Old 22 February 2017, 22:50   #4
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Good to hear it's working for you guys
Old 22 February 2017, 23:20   #5
Amiga1992

So it is a clone in interface only, right?

It would be great if somehow features oc sST/IT would be implemented, for instance, instrument definitions! (the single, stupidest omission on every Protracker ever).

Good job and looking great! (IF you like ST/IT looks )
Old 22 February 2017, 23:35   #6
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Is this Windows 2000 compatible?

All I got was a brief window saying "this application appears to be frozen" which I have never seen before. After a few seconds a small Porotracker window appeared, but the window itself was empty and placing the mouse over it caused the mouse to disappear!
Clicking on the mouse button appeared to do nothing.
Old 22 February 2017, 23:38   #7
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
It would be great if somehow features oc sST/IT would be implemented, for instance, instrument definitions! (the single, stupidest omission on every Protracker ever).
I don't see how instrument support could be implemented without devising a new file format and writing a new playroutine for the Amiga (and then you couldn't use P61 to pack your mods anymore which would be a dealbreaker for me). There's a lot of stuff that would be nice to have but is impossible within the limits of standard PT mods, but the world is already full of weird tracker formats and I don't want to contribute to that. The purpose of PoroTracker is simply to offer an alternative (and more familiar to people such as myself) way to make normal Amiga mods
Old 22 February 2017, 23:48   #8
hukka
Wolf-bear thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Is this Windows 2000 compatible?

All I got was a brief window saying "this application appears to be frozen" which I have never seen before. After a few seconds a small Porotracker window appeared, but the window itself was empty and placing the mouse over it caused the mouse to disappear!
Clicking on the mouse button appeared to do nothing.
PoroTracker should technically work on Windows 2000, I guess, although I wouldn't be too surprised if it won't simply due to its age. PoroTracker should fall back to OpenGL rendering if Direct2D is not supported (which it isn't on 2000 or XP), but just to be certain, you can try editing data\PoroTracker.ini, [Display] section, and set Driver=0.

The mouse pointer disappearing is because PoroTracker by default draws its own mouse sprite. Pressing Ctrl-M twice should unhide the Windows cursor.
EDIT: You can also try pressing Alt-Enter to see if switching to fullscreen helps.

Last edited by hukka; 22 February 2017 at 23:55.
Old 23 February 2017, 23:18   #9
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukka View Post
PoroTracker should technically work on Windows 2000, I guess, although I wouldn't be too surprised if it won't simply due to its age. PoroTracker should fall back to OpenGL rendering if Direct2D is not supported (which it isn't on 2000 or XP), but just to be certain, you can try editing data\PoroTracker.ini, [Display] section, and set Driver=0.
I tried that and found that Driver in the [Display] section is already set to 0, so I tried setting it to 1. It made no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukka View Post
The mouse pointer disappearing is because PoroTracker by default draws its own mouse sprite. Pressing Ctrl-M twice should unhide the Windows cursor.
EDIT: You can also try pressing Alt-Enter to see if switching to fullscreen helps.
The mouse trick worked, but switching to fullscreen made no difference.

There is one thing I forgot to mention yesterday... my sound card is broken
Most software either produces a pop-up with an error and then exits, or runs but with sound disabled automatically (e.g. WinUAE).

FYI: I have been meaning to switch to a laptop with a working sound card, but I haven't got round to it yet.