English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 12 November 2022, 19:49   #1
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Post AsmTwo 0.96w2

There is a strange behaviour with some entries of the "Edit Func." menu (and no addendum in the AsmTwo readme file).

1) According to the ASM-One manual, shortcuts A+i and A+f have the same behaviour. This work as expected in ASM-One (paste what has been copied) but in AsmTwo A+i does nothing (visible at least).

2) A+u should UnMark (what does it means as what it does is not obvious) ?
In AsmTwo A+u is like A+L. Is it intended ?

3) Could someone explain what Rotate (A+Y) and VertFill (A+n) are supposed to do ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13 November 2022, 00:48   #2
a/b

Rotate reorders the lines from last to first. Vertical fill is similar to paste, but it moves you back to the same horizontal position and then one line down, so you can spam paste without having to do additional waltzing around with the cursor.
Old 13 November 2022, 10:20   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/b View Post
Rotate reorders the lines from last to first. [...]
Thanks a/b .
It works now that I saw that the keyboard for the shortcuts is hardcoded (I bet it's qwerty - usa0) and is not following the keymap defined (mine is ch1).
So I have to press A+z and not A+y .
For me this is clearly a bug (even if it works like this also in ASM-One). Shortcuts must follow the key mapping and shouldn't care about a physical position on the keyboard.

Quote:
[...] Vertical fill is similar to paste, but it moves you back to the same horizontal position and then one line down, so you can spam paste without having to do additional waltzing around with the cursor.
Ok, so it adds a linefeed (& carriage return) when you paste. Thanks.
Old 13 November 2022, 10:34   #4
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Another question :

As I see the behaviour, the "marked area" is impacted by other actions. For example :
- I mark a bloc (A+b)
- copy it (A+c)
- move to some part of the code
- delete a line (A+d)
- and want to paste the copied bloc (A+f)
It doesn't paste it but paste the line I have just deleted.

It is what I see, but is it a normal behaviour ?
Shouldn't the marked area buffer be independent from the "undo" buffer ?
Old 13 November 2022, 10:50   #5
a/b

> Ok, so it adds a linefeed (& carriage return) when you paste. Thanks.
Not quite. I mean, if your copied text contains multiple lines, ends with a newline and such, then yeah, you could describe it like that. But it's primarily meant for a sub-line copy/paste, where you paste a few chars in a line and have to repeat it again in the subsequent line(s).

About z/y, I'm not sure why it's happening. Key codes are converted with the console device's RawKeyConvert() (at least in the Rune's original source code, which I believe is the basis for asm-two, and asm-one/pro are doing the same) so it should work. I've only ever used ansi layout so I never noticed any problem. I'll do a few tests with asm-pro, I guess.

Delete line is considered cut-block, so it nukes the previous buffer.

OK, z/y update: Did you activate a corresponding keymap? The way mapping works internally in asm-*, it always uses default keymap, which is initially (for the whole system) usa/ansi. So if you don't activate a different one, typically in sys:devs/keymaps/ (and there are extras in sys:storage/keymaps/), and then select it in prefs -> input -> keyboard type, it will still use the initial default.

Last edited by a/b; 13 November 2022 at 11:18.
Old 13 November 2022, 12:07   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Not quite. I mean, if your copied text contains multiple lines, ends with a newline and such, then yeah, you could describe it like that. But it's primarily meant for a sub-line copy/paste, where you paste a few chars in a line and have to repeat it again in the subsequent line(s). [...]
Will practice a bit to clearly see how it works. Thanks for the details.

Quote:
[...] About z/y, I'm not sure why it's happening. Key codes are converted with the console device's RawKeyConvert() (at least in the Rune's original source code, which I believe is the basis for asm-two, and asm-one/pro are doing the same) so it should work. I've only ever used ansi layout so I never noticed any problem. I'll do a few tests with asm-pro, I guess.
[...]
OK, z/y update: Did you activate a corresponding keymap? The way mapping works internally in asm-*, it always uses default keymap, which is initially (for the whole system) usa/ansi. So if you don't activate a different one, typically in sys:devs/keymaps/ (and there are extras in sys:storage/keymaps/), and then select it in prefs -> input -> keyboard type, it will still use the initial default.
Same usual config as my old A2000 : a simple HDF (KS1.3, 2MB chip, 8MB fast (zorroII), installed WB1.3, altered the startup-sequence to "setmap ch1" (in fact an altered one as my PC keyboard miss the £/$ key ($ mapped to shift+alt+4) - altered keymap works fine in shell, wb, asm-* (shortcut y-z excepted). Others commands in the startup-sequence are usual WB commands.

Quote:
[...] Delete line is considered cut-block, so it nukes the previous buffer. [...]
Ok, it makes sense if it's considered as a bloc (even if it's outside the bloc section of the menu ).
Old 13 November 2022, 18:19   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Could someone explain "Edit Funct. -> Block.. -> Registers (A+k)"
The manual is not really explicit as it only says "Registers used".
Old 13 November 2022, 18:50   #8
a/b

It shows data/address registers actively used in the selected block.
Old 13 November 2022, 19:27   #9
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thank a/b. This is what I thought but :

In a one line block like :
Code:
   moveq #0,d0
The result is : " Registers used: D0"

In a one line block like :
Code:
start lea.l buffer,a0
The result is : " Registers used: NONE"
Same in a block line like :
Code:
loop tst.b (a0)
or
Code:
   add.b #1,(a0)
Do you know why some results are "NONE" even if a register is used ?
Old 13 November 2022, 20:19   #10
a/b

Maybe a newly introduced bug? Dunno... In all these years, the only bug with amiga+k I remember is not clearing the status bar before printing the register list, so you would see old registers at the end if the new list was shorter. But that's for asm-one/pro and trashm-one, those are the only ones I've used.
Old 13 November 2022, 20:55   #11
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ Ok. Hope Photon will see this thread then. Same for the y (-> z) shortcut

Quote:
> Ok, so it adds a linefeed (& carriage return) when you paste. Thanks.
Not quite. I mean, if your copied text contains multiple lines, ends with a newline and such, then yeah, you could describe it like that. But it's primarily meant for a sub-line copy/paste, where you paste a few chars in a line and have to repeat it again in the subsequent line(s).[...]
After toying a bit I clearly see now how it works. Thanks for your explanation

Edit : By the way as said A+Y rotate the block (contrary to ASM-One : A+y - why has the case changed ?) but I didn't mention that A+y delete the selected block. I don't think this is a normal behaviour. Or is it ?

Last edited by malko; 13 November 2022 at 21:05.
Old 13 November 2022, 22:10   #12
Asman

About bugs in command Amiga+K. I found another one in Asm-One v1.49-rc2

Code:
start: ;a0
          moveq #0,d0
result: register used: d0,a0
Old 13 November 2022, 22:20   #13
a/b

Yeah, asm-one 1.49rc2 . As much as I like it, I had to give it up. Ran into too many crippling bugs and switched to asm-pro, since it's in a better shape and the source is available so I can take care of things myself (and yeah, there's been plenty of that there as well ).
Old 14 November 2022, 23:49   #14
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
There is a strange behaviour with some entries of the "Edit Func." menu (and no addendum in the AsmTwo readme file).
A+i is mapped to Insert mode toggle and I forgot to change it in the menu. It's probably a sign I don't use the menu much instead of keyboard.

Quote:
1) According to the ASM-One manual, shortcuts A+i and A+f have the same behaviour. This work as expected in ASM-One (paste what has been copied) but in AsmTwo A+i does nothing (visible at least).
A+f was kept and A+s not moved to A+f (save/find instead of search/fill) because the feeling was it would affect habits too much. However, A+v was made to serve the same function as A+f, because the Amiga key also maps to Ctrl, and Ctrl+x or c and Ctrl+v is so widely used.

Quote:
2) A+u should UnMark (what does it means as what it does is not obvious) ?
In AsmTwo A+u is like A+L. Is it intended ?
A+b starts the anchor of marking a block, and it has the advantage over shift-marking or mouse-marking text in that you can use a search or jump function to go to the end of the block you want to mark.

A+u cancels A+b, refer AsmOne/AsmPro manual.

Quote:
3) Could someone explain what Rotate (A+Y) and VertFill (A+n) are supposed to do ?

Thanks in advance.
Again, refer AsmOne/AsmPro manual.

The actual list of changes to the editor in AsmTwo is quite long and so not every change in behavior is in the readme. It is however done with taste and partly as upgrades to existing functions so that little should interfere with how you normally use AsmOne/AsmPro in your coding work.
Old 15 November 2022, 14:17   #15
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
A+i is mapped to Insert mode toggle and I forgot to change it in the menu. It's probably a sign I don't use the menu much instead of keyboard. [...]
As there is no "Insert" key on the Amiga keyboard, I didn't get the meaning of "Toggle insert mode" from the AsmTwo readme this way (I was looking for something equivalent from the A+i ASM-One behaviour). Now it's clear. Thanks.

Quote:
[...] A+b starts the anchor of marking a block, and it has the advantage over shift-marking or mouse-marking text in that you can use a search or jump function to go to the end of the block you want to mark.
A+u cancels A+b, refer AsmOne/AsmPro manual. [...]
Of course I did read the ASM-One manual before posting since AsmTwo is based upon this other assembler .

No, look, A+u is not working as expected and make the block UpperCase instead of UnMarking it (everything made with the mouse for the sake of clarity) :

Quote:
[...] The actual list of changes to the editor in AsmTwo is quite long and so not every change in behavior is in the readme. It is however done with taste and partly as upgrades to existing functions so that little should interfere with how you normally use AsmOne/AsmPro in your coding work.
IMHO it could be nice if you could list in the readme file the changes made (as Toni does for WinUAE when there is a new version). It helps tracking the changes made (or left mistakes ) .

By the way, could add to the "to check" list :
- A+Y that need a A+Z key press to work (why was the "y" case changed from ASM-One ?)
- A+k (registers)

As I am currently trying AsmTwo while re-reading the ASM-One manual, I will let you know any differences I find (and that are not listed in the AsmTwo readme file).
Old 20 November 2022, 00:27   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Accented letters handling issue

The handling of accented letters has issue when we are upper casing or lower casing.
Basically it works. For example, é -> É, etc. or À -> à, etc.
But if we already are uppercase and we uppercase again, letters change (which is not normal, thus t*s is an issue). Same if we are already lowercase and we lowercase again.

Old 20 November 2022, 19:27   #17
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko
Ok, so it adds a linefeed (& carriage return) when you paste. Thanks.
Not quite. I mean, if your copied text contains multiple lines, ends with a newline and such, then yeah, you could describe it like that. But it's primarily meant for a sub-line copy/paste, where you paste a few chars in a line and have to repeat it again in the subsequent line(s). [...]
I have to come back to VertFill as it seems to me it do not work as expected.
As I understand, if I place the cursor at column 12, call VertFill, the copied block is pasted and the cursor is then positioned on the next line at column 12.
So basically It works BUT only if the next line as already the required inserted spaces (be it tab). If lines have different spaces on the following lines, the text is even inserted before existing text but Not at colum 12.

If I reach end of code, the text is appended without going to next line.
Is is how it is intended to be ?

Old 20 November 2022, 21:28   #18
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Mako can you reproduce this bug.?

When assembling a large file a bit less than 28000 lines, assembling work but when I try to save the object file (wo) all the OS freeze.
Work find under AsmOne 1.48.
This is also broken with Asmone 1.02 and Trash’mOne 2.0 work fine with AsmPro.
Old 22 November 2022, 17:27   #19
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Can someone with real hardware give a light on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-One manual
(p28) [...] If "NumLock" is selected you can use the numeric pad to move the cursor. [...]
If I recall correctly the A500 & A2000, there is no "NumLock" on the Amiga. Or am I mistaken ?
Old 22 November 2022, 17:43   #20
a/b

Correct, and also for A4000. The only "lock" key they have is a caps lock.