English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 January 2017, 20:09   #1
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Anyone got Super-Hangon (NTSC) ?

Recently I realised that all games made in America are NTSC, and playing them at NTSC 60hz plays the game full screen, faster, and smoother. This works for Test Drive 1 and 2, Interceptor, you name it, but the speedup trick doesnt work if I play the PAL cracks of Super Hangon using an NTSC setup. This must mean the PAL crack we all played must somehow be hard-coded to the number of frames per second it displays.

But I was wondering, does anyone have footage of the NTSC gameplay of Super hangon so I can see if the native original is any faster on real hardware. If so, and a faster/smoother/full screen version is out there, I would love to find out.

If anyone can help or input technical data as to why my PAL cracks are not faster in NTSC mode, please let me know.
Old 13 January 2017, 21:05   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
Recently I realised that all games made in America are NTSC, and playing them at NTSC 60hz plays the game full screen, faster, and smoother. This works for Test Drive 1 and 2, Interceptor, you name it, but the speedup trick doesnt work if I play the PAL cracks of Super Hangon using an NTSC setup. This must mean the PAL crack we all played must somehow be hard-coded to the number of frames per second it displays.

But I was wondering, does anyone have footage of the NTSC gameplay of Super hangon so I can see if the native original is any faster on real hardware. If so, and a faster/smoother/full screen version is out there, I would love to find out.

If anyone can help or input technical data as to why my PAL cracks are not faster in NTSC mode, please let me know.
A lot of PAL releases once ECS Amigas were on the market, forced PAL mode.

Its easy enough to remove, looking at the code and copperlists and removing them.
Old 13 January 2017, 21:05   #3
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Have you tried the Melnok crack ?
It's most likely an NTSC version as all the other cracks by him is NTSC (afaik).
Old 14 January 2017, 00:47   #4
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Ah great work guys.

I got a friend in the US to send me an ADF made from his original disk. I tried it, and it just software failures and refuses to load.

I tried the Melnok version and it works! At the correct speed in NTSC! The graphics are now smooth and full screen. Its only taken 28 years for me to play it.

The only small favour now would be a WHDload patch? I tried the installer from the WHD web site and it said "unknown version". I dont know how to use RAWDic to make my own image of the crack disk and try it with the slave. But I guess no rush - the fact I can play this at full speed (not the same thing as using the 68030, which speeds up the game as well) is a small miracle.
Old 14 January 2017, 01:02   #5
lifeschool
Local Moderator

EDIT, How do I switch the timer/game clock back on??- I cant play this with unlimited time, and no collision, there is no challenge. I tried pressing the left and right mouse on the crack screen, and the fire button, and I can only find the +1 crack, not the original, so I need a way to switch the clock back on.

EDit 2: Never mind, I assume I have to press right mouse on the crack screen. Cheers.

Last edited by lifeschool; 14 January 2017 at 23:43.