English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 February 2011, 11:53   #1
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Console Repairs

Recommendation / Advert Alert

I dunno if everyone here would always attempt their own hardware repairs but now and again I find things which are just too troublesome / fiddly to do if you've never done them before. Also recently I've found my time is more valuable than a few quid and decided to get a few items repaired by someone else.

I found a small business (Guy named Shane, working out of his house) just around the corner from my home and the guy is a star. He's repaired several DS-Lite consoles that myself and friends had considered "uneconomical repairs" and even cleaned them.

http://www.videogamerepairs.co.uk/links/details.asp

I am hoping he'll invest in a BGA rework station so he can offer proper RROD and YLOD repairs ;-)
Old 09 February 2011, 11:57   #2
Parsec

Excellent, I will bear that in mind.

My xbox1 has shutdown twice since I've had it, think it's overheating, but then it works normally for hours on end. I hate the thought of getting another and going through all that softmodding crap again so might get it repaired if it starts to die.
Old 09 February 2011, 12:58   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Depends what XBOX-1 you have. If you have a Rev1.1 then they can overheat the GPU (they have a smaller heatsink with a fan). If you have a 1.2+ then the only reason you can get overheating shut down is if (A)The fan is clogged / disabled / spun down or (B)The hard drive you've added puts out a LOT of heat.

It is easy to replace the case fan in the XBOX1 with a silent one which also has a much higher CF/M rating.

IMO this is the best fan for an XBOX-1

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/70mmfans

Add this gasket and even on full (7v) fan speed you'll never hear it.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/pro...ies/fangaskets

It fits without cutting the case and uses the 7v fan connector which means you still have fan speed control. It does not fit the fan connector slots so you need to hold it in place in the XBOX using cable ties.

This is not a fiddly repair and you cannot break anything by performing it so I'd recommend you did this yourself.
Old 10 February 2011, 10:56   #4
Parsec

Very useful advice thanks.

It is a 1.1 machine

The first time it shut down I'd just got it home and was trying it out so put it on the (short-pile) carpet after carefully checking there were no vents on the actual bottom. 15 mins later of playing GTA it had had enough!

The second time was at the end of using dvd2xbox to copy Halo over to my hard drive which makes you think it was the drives generating heat. The drive I've fitted is a 7200rpm model but it's a new Western Digital one so didn't think it would get too hot.

Am tempted to try that fan though but will keep an eye on it first and try and work out if there's a pattern to it.
Old 10 February 2011, 22:02   #5
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Excellent, I will bear that in mind.

My xbox1 has shutdown twice since I've had it, think it's overheating, but then it works normally for hours on end. I hate the thought of getting another and going through all that softmodding crap again so might get it repaired if it starts to die.
Hope it's not http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?t=12694 - might be worth checking.