English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08 July 2017, 08:54   #1
IvanEBC
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 389
Starting a game/demo via Softboot [Omega Race]

Hi Guys.

I have a game that completely refuses to run from Workbench (Old PD game Omega Race). Theres another whole thread about trying to get it to run, never got it going.

But it WILL run if i boot with no startup-sequence from the early boot menu and then manually CD to that directory and run it.

I know some games can do this but i can't find one now that i can copy an example from from but how would an iconx script look that can do this so i can simply, double double the icon in workbench and it reboots the system and starts the game.
Game needs no assigns or rubbish, it just runs as a single executable.

IE
c:reboot
dh1:games/o/omegarace/omegarace

hmm, infact, it isn't that simple is it?

Last edited by IvanEBC; 08 July 2017 at 11:24.
IvanEBC is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 July 2017, 09:45   #2
jPV
Registered User
jPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: RNO
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
c:reboot
dh1:games/o/omegarace/omegarace
This would make the machine boot, but it can't remember the next line, because it does a fresh reboot which loads S:startup-sequence from HD then.

One way is to modify/rewrite/replace the startup-sequence file to do what you want, but that'll easily end up in total mess, and it also makes filesystem errors more likely. So I wouldn't do that in any case.

Another option is to have some startmenu thing in the boot, which would do different actions if you keep mouse button or key pressed during the boot, but that isn't exactly what you want and it wouldn't be much easier than booting without the startup-sequence.

The closest solution I can think now (when still trying to wake up) is to use the RAD: drive (reset proof and bootable ram disk) to boot the game.

IconX script could look like this (didn't try):
Code:
Mount RAD:
Install RAD:
MakeDir RAD:S
Echo "CD dh1:games/o/omegarace" > RAD:S/startup-sequence
Echo "omegarace" >> RAD:S/startup-sequence
C:Reboot
When booting from RAD: you probably also miss some libraries which are needed to launch the game. You could either make the script make Libs directory and copy the needed ones to RAD:Libs, or maybe it would just work if you insert another Echo line there between the other echo lines (Echo "Assign LIBS: DH0:Libs/ ADD" >> RAD:S/startup-sequence) or so
jPV is offline  
Old 08 July 2017, 11:26   #3
IvanEBC
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
This would make the machine boot, but it can't remember the next line, because it does a fresh reboot which loads S:startup-sequence from HD then.

One way is to modify/rewrite/replace the startup-sequence file to do what you want, but that'll easily end up in total mess, and it also makes filesystem errors more likely. So I wouldn't do that in any case.

Another option is to have some startmenu thing in the boot, which would do different actions if you keep mouse button or key pressed during the boot, but that isn't exactly what you want and it wouldn't be much easier than booting without the startup-sequence.

The closest solution I can think now (when still trying to wake up) is to use the RAD: drive (reset proof and bootable ram disk) to boot the game.

IconX script could look like this (didn't try):
Code:
Mount RAD:
Install RAD:
MakeDir RAD:S
Echo "CD dh1:games/o/omegarace" > RAD:S/startup-sequence
Echo "omegarace" >> RAD:S/startup-sequence
C:Reboot
When booting from RAD: you probably also miss some libraries which are needed to launch the game. You could either make the script make Libs directory and copy the needed ones to RAD:Libs, or maybe it would just work if you insert another Echo line there between the other echo lines (Echo "Assign LIBS: DH0:Libs/ ADD" >> RAD:S/startup-sequence) or so
I'll look into this but remember, nothing is needed to run this from a no startup-sequence boot, no libs or anything, i simply at the very first prompt type in the full path to the game, and it loads and works.
IvanEBC is offline  
Old 08 July 2017, 13:08   #4
jPV
Registered User
jPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: RNO
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
I'll look into this but remember, nothing is needed to run this from a no startup-sequence boot, no libs or anything, i simply at the very first prompt type in the full path to the game, and it loads and works.
When you boot without startup-sequence, Kickstart has already assigned few directories, including Libs:, to the boot device (which still is your HD). So it very well might load something there even if it looks like that it doesn't need anything.
jPV is offline  
Old 08 July 2017, 13:56   #5
Shaytan
Registered User
Shaytan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Italy
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
Hi Guys.

I have a game that completely refuses to run from Workbench (Old PD game Omega Race). Theres another whole thread about trying to get it to run, never got it going.

But it WILL run if i boot with no startup-sequence from the early boot menu and then manually CD to that directory and run it.

I know some games can do this but i can't find one now that i can copy an example from from but how would an iconx script look that can do this so i can simply, double double the icon in workbench and it reboots the system and starts the game.
Game needs no assigns or rubbish, it just runs as a single executable.

IE
c:reboot
dh1:games/o/omegarace/omegarace

hmm, infact, it isn't that simple is it?
You could use Rebootscript from aminet: Link

Place both Runscript and Writescript in C directory, then add Runscript on top of you startup-sequence.

Just launch your program with: Writescript dh1:games/o/omegarace/omegarace

It will reboot the amiga and run the file.
Shaytan is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Omega Race - PD Shatterhand request.Old Rare Games 13 29 November 2016 20:21
Runtime error when starting game Majestic12 project.MAGE 2 28 June 2009 23:26
Racing game Where you could get out of the car and finish the race on foot onyx666999 Looking for a game name ? 6 07 January 2008 09:19
OLD race game, like RALLY KONEY Looking for a game name ? 6 25 December 2005 14:50
Found -> Turbo (Was: 2 player car race/battle game) Gamma Goblin Looking for a game name ? 3 10 January 2003 02:03

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.21187 seconds with 14 queries