English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 January 2020, 08:38   #981
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
How did it lack in storage?

Are you referring to the stupid idea to use 2.5" laptop HDD's instead of standard 3.5" ones,
Using 2.5" laptop drives was an awesome idea - small enough to comfortably fit inside the awesome A1200 (or A600) case, simple installation with a single cable, and much lower power consumption so you didn't need to upgrade your power supply. Usually quieter as well, and many shut down after a few minutes of inactivity for even lower power consumption and zero noise.

In the 90's we benefited from PC users needing ever larger hard drives to run their bloated OS and apps. In 1991 I bought a Quantum 120MB 3.5" SCSI drive for my A3000 for $999. Then the prices started dropping. In 1996 I picked up a 256MB 2.5" drive for my A1200 for $52 in a stock clearance sale. A few years later I got a 1GB 2.5" drive for free from a hapless PC user who had to upgrade his laptop. I still have that drive in my A1200 today, and it's still working perfectly (typically running 5-8 hours a day).

Quote:
or the lack of a HD FDD?
Which is no big deal when the standard drive can do 880k. I had an HD floppy drive in my A3000, but never used high density disks because they was less reliable. My PC has one too of course - only 63% higher capacity than Amiga 880k, and HD disks are not very reliable in it either!
Old 31 January 2020, 19:24   #982
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
. A few years later I got a 1GB 2.5" drive for free from a hapless PC user who had to upgrade his laptop. I still have that drive in my A1200 today, and it's still working perfectly (typically running 5-8 hours a day).

Which is no big deal when the standard drive can do 880k. I had an HD floppy drive in my A3000, but never used high density disks because they was less reliable. My PC has one too of course - only 63% higher capacity than Amiga 880k, and HD disks are not very reliable in it either!
What brand is the HDD? Does it boot up first time or does it need the delay (KICK 31).

Any reason on why HD disks are not as reliable as DD disks?
Old 31 January 2020, 21:34   #983
van_dammesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
The only reason I can think of (which maybe incorrect) was that in order to use HDD floppies you had to use extra hardware. I used the catweasel with no problems whatsoever.
Old 01 February 2020, 11:46   #984
Hewitson

Quote:
Using 2.5" laptop drives was an awesome idea
It was a shit idea. The drives were extremely expensive compared to their 3.5" equivalents, and many 1200 users went without a HDD because they couldn't afford one of the 2.5" drives. Others did ugly hacks to their case to enable a 3.5" drive to be installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade
They're storing twice the data on the same media.

It's not unlike how a Blu Ray is much more sensitive to damage than a CD or DVD.
Old 01 February 2020, 12:53   #985
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Others did ugly hacks to their case to enable a 3.5" drive to be installed.
But 3.5" drives fit (tightly) you just leave the cradle out. No need to hack anything.
Old 01 February 2020, 13:27   #986
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
But 3.5" drives fit (tightly) you just leave the cradle out. No need to hack anything.
If there was no way to get a 3.5" HDD in without breaking the case, I'd say it was a good call for Commodore to go with something that fits in there instead. But as we all know, there is.

In practise though retrofitting one meant for most of the users brute forcing it in, consequently making it much more of a hassle than it ever needed to be if Commodore had designed the machine to support this.

Offering users a limited number of smaller, pricier and slower drives was not an awesome idea, but just another needless way to needlessly handicap the machine.
Old 01 February 2020, 13:49   #987
no9

[QUOTE=Bruce Abbott;1375485]
Quote:
No?
Old 01 February 2020, 14:10   #988
chb

Quote:
Using 2.5" laptop drives was an awesome idea - small enough to comfortably fit inside the awesome A1200 (or A600) case, simple installation with a single cable, and much lower power consumption so you didn't need to upgrade your power supply. Usually quieter as well, and many shut down after a few minutes of inactivity for even lower power consumption and zero noise.
I think it was a terrible idea. I had a 3.5" drive running outside my A1200 in a wooden box, having to cut the case slightly to get the IDE cable out, while the power came from an Y-adapter to the floppy cable; and even with a second floppy drive, an 030 turbo board + RAM the stock power supply never generated any problems.

Making the case some millimeters bigger wouldn't have cost Commodore anything; including a slightly more powerful power supply maybe a low one-digit figure - and that probably wouldn't have been even necessary, because they could have picked 3.5" drives with low power consumption for their factory HD models.

The pricey 2.5" drives made their A1200HD models expensive. The A1200 was a budget computer with a really good price, but if you wanted a HDD (absolutely necessary already in 1992 for any serious work) it wasn't looking that attractive anymore compared to PCs. IMHO they shoot themselves in the foot with that decision.
Old 01 February 2020, 17:38   #989
d4rk3lf

Isn't the 2.5HD drives much better (physical) quality then 3.5, or it is a myth?
I always thought (as a kid), that Commodore chooses 2.5 because of quality, but now I am not so convinced about C= decisions.
Old 01 February 2020, 17:51   #990
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Isn't the 2.5HD drives much better (physical) quality then 3.5, or it is a myth?
Myth.
Old 01 February 2020, 18:23   #991
coder76

I have a 3.5" 1.2 GB HDD in my A1200. It fits inside, and it was actually installed in the shop I bought it from, but yeah, it's tight with the space inside. 2.5" HDDs were more expensive, had smaller capacity, and were slower than 3.5" HDD drives at the time when A1200's were still being sold in shops. Same with the accelerator board expansion slot, could have had a little bit more space with the trapdoor.
Old 01 February 2020, 18:49   #992
grond

I'm in the "2.5-inch-was-a-huge-mistake" camp. I spent 800DM in 1994 for a 330MB 2.5" harddisk. That was an insane amount of money. The A1200 had more than enough PCB real estate to put a 3.5" IDE socket and power plug on it.

While we are now happy to have PCMCIA on the A600/A1200, that also was a mistake because it was mostly useless at the time. With 3.5" IDE, no PCMCIA, no onboard 68020 (but only CPU-cards) and a scan-doubler it would have been close to perfect.
Old 01 February 2020, 18:53   #993
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
...that Commodore chooses [...] because of quality...
That definitely never ever happened.
Joking aside, 2.5" drives were more shockproof, because they were made for laptops and had smaller discs; but unless you were dropping your Amiga regularly from the table, I guess that wasn't such an important aspect.
Old 02 February 2020, 00:17   #994
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
If there was no way to get a 3.5" HDD in without breaking the case
You are mistaken, I had a 1gb 3.5" drive in my case properly screwed together for years. They fit.
Old 02 February 2020, 02:47   #995
rare_j
Zone Friend

3.5 inch hard drives can be different heights. It's nice that you had a nice slim 1gb hard drive but the drive casings used to be taller, and the pcb underneath also took up more space. Back in the day i hooked up a 20mb hard drive using a kit, (specially made ide cable and floppy drive power splitter) and had to cut holes in the case for the ide and power cables because it would not fit. The grille at the back of the A1200 case would not close down over the drive.
Old 02 February 2020, 09:16   #996
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
You are mistaken, I had a 1gb 3.5" drive in my case properly screwed together for years. They fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
If there was no way to get a 3.5" HDD in without breaking the case [...] But as we all know, there is.
Like I said, there is – but it's a far cry from just opening the case up and popping one in.

I've seen more hacky, bulky, dremelled solutions than I care to count. It's all needless struggle that could've been avoided if the issue was properly addressed by Commodore.

Last edited by jizmo; 02 February 2020 at 09:46.
Old 02 February 2020, 10:12   #997
robinsonb5

Don't forget that 3.5in drives needed more power than their smaller counterparts, and tended to run hotter. Plenty of people might have got away with using such a drive, but there's a big difference between "will probably be fine" and "solution that we're prepared to support with a warranty".
Old 02 February 2020, 11:38   #998
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Don't forget that 3.5in drives needed more power than their smaller counterparts, and tended to run hotter. Plenty of people might have got away with using such a drive, but there's a big difference between "will probably be fine" and "solution that we're prepared to support with a warranty".
Absolutely. The point I'm trying to make though, is that the machine should have been designed for (and shipped with) 3.5" drives in the first place.

It would have reduced the cost of the HD models considerably, and provided better performance as well.
Old 02 February 2020, 11:58   #999
duga

Installed a 3.5" HDD in 1996, no modifications to the chassis were needed.
Old 02 February 2020, 17:19   #1000
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
That's certainly a valid aspect; also all other integrated-keyboard computers of that time that I'm aware of with internal HDD had 2.5" internal drives (Atari Falcon 030, A600/A1200, Acorn A3020), so they were not the only ones to go that route.

Still, I think Commodore and the other manufacturers made a miscalculation. They probably thought that prices would approach those of standard drives pretty fast, which didn't happen - similar thinking may have lead to the inclusion of the PCMCIA port, that, even if it had worked perfectly, would have given access mainly to laptop extensions that carried a prohibitively high price tag for still some years after release of the A1200. And last but not least, by testing the drives for their factory models they could have ensured that they worked reliably by picking suitable drives. I haven't heard of people having problems with their internal 3.5" drives (and some retailers even included them), but of course that may have been already some years later when drives had improved.

And hindsight is of course always 20/20...