English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 09 July 2012, 11:32   #1
RealNC

[FS-UAE] Runtime disk swapping

I know that a built-in disk image browser is planned. But this won't help front-ends. For example, if I wanted to write a front-end that looks like WinUAE, some kind of IPC would be needed so that disk changes (and perhaps other settings) can be communicated to the running FS-UAE process.

I suppose even a simple stdin pipe would do, in case real IPC is deemed too much work due to all the different platforms supported. For example I could write "floppy_drive_0 = some_adf_file" to the pipe, and FS-UAE would pick it up. Perhaps the interface should understand all the settings supported in .fs-uae config files.

Last edited by RealNC; 09 July 2012 at 12:02.
Old 10 July 2012, 23:25   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
I know that a built-in disk image browser is planned. But this won't help front-ends. For example, if I wanted to write a front-end that looks like WinUAE, some kind of IPC would be needed so that disk changes (and perhaps other settings) can be communicated to the running FS-UAE process.

I suppose even a simple stdin pipe would do, in case real IPC is deemed too much work due to all the different platforms supported. For example I could write "floppy_drive_0 = some_adf_file" to the pipe, and FS-UAE would pick it up. Perhaps the interface should understand all the settings supported in .fs-uae config files.
I wouldn't be difficult to make a programmatic remote control interface for FS-UAE, but it would require some work of course, and additional work to support additional settings.

Unix sockets can be used on Linux/Mac, and named pipes can be used similarly on Windows. Using bsdsockets (listening on 127.0.0.1) would be one possibility to get the same IPC mechanism on all platforms.

But no existing programs require such functionality (yet), and I don't need it myself - so I for my part lack the motivation to work on this...
Old 11 July 2012, 15:24   #3
RealNC

Do you plain on putting up a Git repo (like on GitHub or similar) so that people like me can hack around in forks and then try to submit for merge? :-)
Old 11 July 2012, 15:40   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

uae-configuration format can be easily used for this purpose.

(WinUAE already has kind of IPC that uses same format, I did it just for fun long time ago, I assume no one uses it)
Old 11 July 2012, 17:55   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
uae-configuration format can be easily used for this purpose.

(WinUAE already has kind of IPC that uses same format, I did it just for fun long time ago, I assume no one uses it)
Yes, it would make sense to use the same format, and most uae options could be passed directly through to the UAE core -for instance floppy drive options, Amiga hardware options.

But some FS-UAE features are handled completely outside the UAE core, like input and display options -so these would need special treatment by the IPC server (if needed).