English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 November 2015, 12:12   #21
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Jon is closing the kickstarter in a few hours. Bit of a shame but he reckons they will still be publishing it on PS4 despite the poor kickstarter.
Old 25 November 2015, 14:21   #22
Gordon
Settler

Hows does kickstarter work? Is it just a charity?

Say if i pledge £100 for a game but falls short of target, do I lose my money?
Old 25 November 2015, 15:10   #23
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

No, you receive your money back.

Actually I think you are only charged when the kickstart campaign ends and it's a success.
Old 25 November 2015, 15:13   #24
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hows does kickstarter work? Is it just a charity?

Say if i pledge £100 for a game but falls short of target, do I lose my money?
Funnily enough you risk losing your money only if the game gets successfully funded.

Just look at what happened with the numerous Kickstarters that never materialised after being successfully funded.
People just lost their money and then never received anything
Old 25 November 2015, 17:02   #25
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
$455k !! that`s just pie in the sky money.
They are at 1/10th right now with a little over half way to go! :|
Old 25 November 2015, 17:25   #26
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

The funds only get taken from your account after the kickstarter has reached the end of its run and the target has been successfully reached. You can still pull out at any time prior to the finish date.

Kickstarter is getting a lot of bad press at the moment but I've bought lots of great products on there such as top quality video game books, dungeons & dragons leather bound fantasy art book and quality leather belts. The only real duffers I pledged towards was Dizzy Returns (which failed to meet its huge target) and Godus (which quickly became boring). Its a risk you take but most of them seem to be genuine from my experience. I felt like I had wasted my money on the Elite: Dangerous kickstarter but even that seems to finally be getting good what with the new Horizons expansion available this week - planetary landings.
Old 25 November 2015, 21:20   #27
Amiga1992

Well that was quite a statement, really. Basically there's not that much demand for this type of game. Less than 1800 people is just not what allows a game made this way to happen. I wouldn't even try to make it happen for PS4, but if he's going ahead and make it even for one platform, I can't help but feel, why did they need to crowdfund it then? To reach more platforms?
Old 25 November 2015, 23:39   #28
Ian
Global Moderator

Beer and cocaine money?
Old 26 November 2015, 08:45   #29
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

It's just been canceled.
Old 26 November 2015, 10:54   #30
Fiery Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Beer and cocaine money?
Now, if that was a pledge goal.....
Old 26 November 2015, 10:56   #31
Ian
Global Moderator

Guess a publisher thought they'd pick it up.

At least they won't have to send any gifts out.
Old 27 November 2015, 04:55   #32
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
Now, if that was a pledge goal.....
It would probably be a bit more honest!
I think they have the whole engine going on already and the game is under way. I feel like they wanted to assure its sustainability, but that's not really how a games company is supposed to work.
In any case, perhaps lucky PS4 users still get the game. Did sound good on paper.
Old 30 November 2015, 17:17   #33
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
but if he's going ahead and make it even for one platform, I can't help but feel, why did they need to crowdfund it then? To reach more platforms?
To be able to release it as you want it to be without the involvement of an evil publisher, naturally.
Old 05 December 2015, 13:53   #34
Cpt. Hindsight

Marketing is probably the main reason for a kickstarter campaign these days.

I found an interesting article what might happen to your game, if you just release it on steam. http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Danie...me_in_2015.php
Old 05 December 2015, 14:18   #35
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Funnily enough you risk losing your money only if the game gets successfully funded.

Just look at what happened with the numerous Kickstarters that never materialised after being successfully funded.
People just lost their money and then never received anything
Do not forget to look at what happened with the overwhelmingly more numerous Kickstarter projects that were successfully backed and actually delivered the expected products.

Humans love to find patterns where there are none, we are very probably hard wired to do so. But that does not change the reality that the very large majority of Kickstarter backed projects work as expected. Cf Kickstarter and independent statistics about these for more details.

Kickstarter works, but our love for failure-stories/conspiracy-theories is strong.
Old 05 December 2015, 20:04   #36
Daedalus

I wonder if such a high target was in order to pay for licencing costs? I mean, to include all the major leagues in the world, all the players, strips and so on probably costs a huge amount. EA can probably just absorb that with virtually guaranteed sales in the millions every year.
Old 06 December 2015, 09:43   #37
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I wonder if such a high target was in order to pay for licencing costs? I mean, to include all the major leagues in the world, all the players, strips and so on probably costs a huge amount. EA can probably just absorb that with virtually guaranteed sales in the millions every year.
No, he said in an interview he couldn't afford to do that, but the option would be there to add the real data in yourself.
Old 07 December 2015, 02:02   #38
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Well if he only develops it for one platform to begin with that's ok. The game exists at least. I actually think if handled properly there may be a market for a lighter, more accessible footy game, something of a counterpoint to fifa and pro evo.
Old 07 December 2015, 10:45   #39
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Do not forget to look at what happened with the overwhelmingly more numerous Kickstarter projects that were successfully backed and actually delivered the expected products.

Humans love to find patterns where there are none, we are very probably hard wired to do so. But that does not change the reality that the very large majority of Kickstarter backed projects work as expected. Cf Kickstarter and independent statistics about these for more details.

Kickstarter works, but our love for failure-stories/conspiracy-theories is strong.
But the public does not care about those, as the projects that reach the news are usually those that FAIL!
Old 21 October 2017, 15:13   #40
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Found curious no one here talked about this being released yesterday, on "Early Access" format.

I bought it, the AI is completely crap at the moment and with the online feature not working yet, you better have some friends around to play it with you but you'll still have to bear some really stupid goalkeepers for now.

But the game is awesome. It's still rough in places, but the base here is very very good, and with the game still being developed, it has the potential to be really amazingly good.

But its no SWOS, it does have some resemblances of course, but it plays differently. Ball moves at a blazing speed, players in the other hand are kinda slow. Analog controls are *perfect* for accurate passses and shots, the matches are *very* quick, the field is really small (and with the ball moving so fast, with a couple of passes you can cross the whole field in like 2-3 seconds). None of those are actually bad things with the game, I really loved it so far.