English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 August 2002, 05:30   #1
Darkseid

Send a message via ICQ to Darkseid
Question Sound probs

Wonder if anyone can shed any light on this.

Upgraded my processor form 1Ghz T-bird to an Athlon Xp1900+
and now I have sound probs in winuae. B4 the upgrade sound buffer was on 3 and sound was perfect (even in most AGA stuff). Since the upgrade I have to set the soundbuffer to 7 and cant even use AGA with decent sound now.

HELP??????
Old 11 August 2002, 05:49   #2
jmmijo

Perhaps one of the device drivers as gotten corrupted. What OS are you running?

One thing to try and this will work for most of the Windows flavors out there except NT. Boot the OS into safe mode and then go into Device Manger. Now check out the Sound options and note the device driver(s) that you have for your specific sound card. You should write them down on a notepad or piece of scratch paper. Now highlight each driver and remove them until all the sound card drivers are gone. Sometimes there are phantom devices where duplicates are in there as well, these need to be removed too!

After they have been removed just restart the computer and have the OS redetect the proper device drivers once more. You may need to have your device driver floppy and/or CD handy for this or if you downloaded the latest drivers onto your HD then just redirect the Dialog Browse window to this folder instead.

If the computer needs to be restarted after this then it will tell you so and you will need to restart once more.

One other possible problem could be some other device has changed since you updated the CPU, shouldn't have but on XP there is actually a device driver for the CPU
Old 11 August 2002, 20:47   #3
Darkseid

Thumbs down

Tried all that. Still no joy. Thx for the advice thoough.

I`m using windows XP on an ECS K7S5A mobo
with 512MB DDR.

It just baffles me as the only thing I changed was the processor.

Maybe I`ll just have to see if next months new release of winua is any better
Old 11 August 2002, 20:57   #4
jmmijo

OK, did you check with windowsupdate.microsoft.com and verify that you have the latest drivers for the OS? This includes the CPU as well, under the Device Manager via the System control panel applet you can view the drivers, check that the Processors has the correct driver in this case it should say AMD Athlon(TM) XP1900+ and the driver date should be 8/29/2001 and the driver version should be 5.1.2535.0

Sometimes this is all that is different but also could have been something else got changed when Windows XP redetected the CPU, check for any yellow ! or red X marks next to any drivers as well
Old 12 August 2002, 19:22   #5
Darkseid

Thumbs up

Checked that and you were right its was an older version, installed the latest and its better (only have to move the slider to 5 and AGA works now OK) but still not as good as b4.

No other drivers needed updateing, might try a fresh install this weekend.

Thx for taking the time to help
Old 12 August 2002, 20:52   #6
jmmijo

You're welcome

As for PC's in general, my expereince has shown me that these beasts can be very tempermental at times. I've tweaked the hell outta my machines and do a lot of changing around of things to cause the OS to belch and cause general problems so I can determine what's the problem and how to correct it and then note these down for future reference