English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 August 2008, 14:46   #101
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I played Time Splitters 2 on the XBox and it is a cool game. Don't know if I would call it a sequel to Goldeneye. It has a great variety of levels and weapons because (like the name suggests) you jump from one epoch to the next. What's really nice about this game is that the levels change depending on the skill level you choose. That really makes the game much more fun than most 'normal' FPS.

Edit : Why did you delete your post Deleauvive?

Edit 2 : Now that is a strange reading expierence
Old 23 August 2008, 14:47   #102
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
GoldenEye 1,5 ?

For the007 - Goldeneye fans out there, it seems that Time Splitters II, available on both the PS2 & the Xbox, was considered the sequel (sort of) , bearing a little less "Bond" gimmicks & a little more SciFi aspects. At least, it has some developers in common with the N64 great fps.

Perfect Dark is a bit closer to the infiltration genre, but it also has its followers.

Last edited by NewDeli; 27 August 2008 at 04:22.
Old 24 August 2008, 03:35   #103
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

people having problems with paper mario? I completed it on project64 1.6. It had some graphics glitches, but I didn't run into any other problems whatsoever.

Fun game, but a little repetitive when you progress further. The flat characters were a good concept though, it was used very well in the game.
Old 24 August 2008, 04:27   #104
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Just how many Mario Games are there now???... Its probably THE only franchise in existence that has gotten away with this MANY spin offs, sequels, versions....etc.. I absolutely despise Mario games and in some ways, Mario is like the Bill Gates of the game character world in the way he has dominated for so long.

But in all my hatred of all things Mario, the fat gay mustached little annoying turd has a place in my early gaming history with the LCD game Donkey Kong Junior & the original Donkey Kong game that i had on the CBS Colecovision. So maybe i can hate him just a little bit less
Love him or hate him, so be it. But I'm addicted to Mario Strikers Charged for the Wii. I modded my Wii recently and I'm not gonna lie, it's better than sliced bread.

My favorite N64 games are Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, and Zelda Ocarina of Time, btw, to stay more or less on topic in this thread
Old 24 August 2008, 13:12   #105
NewDeli
Banned

Not too sure how donations will boost PJ64 development, but that's what Zilmar recent post implies. You may read his update here.

Someone should tell him that WHDload patchers do it for free !

To sum-up :
  • 1964 paved the way for its successor
  • Accurate N64 emulation is somehow hardware dependent
  • V1.7 PJ is overdue, with or without additional donations (although I don't care much)

Last edited by NewDeli; 27 August 2008 at 04:24.
Old 26 August 2008, 02:03   #106
NewDeli
Banned

For those of you craving to read the follow-up to 'Deleauvive back to his good ol' N64 to please his young bro' & sis'', here it is :

I went back to the retro-shop today (nice address, not lost among the other big console shops), the guy acknowledged the 1080 Snowboarding cartridge he sold me had a problem, and he changed it. I bought Mario 64 & Yoshi's Story from him, also.

It seems that blowing warm air from the mouth gives a kick to a failing cartridge (well, no need to go as far as to kissing it, thankfully), so I blew like crazy on the back of those 25 cartridges I told you about. They all worked, but the minute I switched to another, the TV screen went black again. Oh, and before I forget, I use an Allsop solute to clean the connectors with an ear-tip (avoid using alcohol or syndets).

Anyway, I found that approximately 20% of the cartridges were working almost flawlessly (which is not so bad considering their origin) without that blowing stuff. So the console had nothing to do with it, as you may have guessed. Also, the few games I bought from the shop worked fine, since their yellow plastic connectors were not nearly as damaged as those from our living room shoe box.

I need to have both the controller & the rumble pack checked at the shop, but this is happy ending, even if it cost me a few bucks. If someone told me I'd buy second-hand N64 games in 2008, I would have wet my pants laughing .

Last edited by NewDeli; 27 August 2008 at 04:15. Reason: It's better to discard bad cartridges inmho
Old 26 August 2008, 14:31   #107
Anubis
Retro Gamer

From what I know, PJ1.7 is long in development. New thing is going to be use of texture packs, but here is the problem.

No one likes to create packs because not a lot of people have option to download them or to get PJ64 1.7.

At the moment I'm getting more xBox games, so N64 will have to wait. Last weekend I got 5 xBox games for 10 bucks. (and only LOZ: OOT cost double of that - it is good game, but not that much better)
Old 26 August 2008, 15:27   #108
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
At the moment I'm getting more xBox games, so N64 will have to wait. Last weekend I got 5 xBox games for 10 bucks. (and only LOZ: OOT cost double of that - it is good game, but not that much better)
Wow, that's cheap mate! I wish I would see these offers here. Best prices are around 5€ for one game (if you are really lucky ). LOZ: OOT for 20$? That's still not a really bad price either.
Old 26 August 2008, 16:00   #109
Anubis
Retro Gamer

The real price is 5 bucks a game, but there is a deal where you get 3 free when you buy 2 games.

So I have now a bit over 50 games in total.

This means that they are trying to get rid of xBox stuff and to set it into retro section. (still a lot of games)

N64 games are priced anywhere from 2.99 up to 20 bucks for not so rare titles. (They have 20+ OOT, MM Mario64 each)
Old 27 August 2008, 04:19   #110
NewDeli
Banned

As a side-note, you may have noticed that, on a wide TV screen, the irregularities of the 3D models are more blatant. On the other hand, we're talking 10 year-old games here, but it's worth noting (I hope) especially if you have a 4:3 TV set at hand.
Old 27 August 2008, 07:11   #111
NovaCoder

I love WaveRace 64...great fun to play alone or with a friend
Old 27 August 2008, 13:51   #112
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
As a side-note, you may have noticed that, on a wide TV screen, the irregularities of the 3D models are more blatant. On the other hand, we're talking 10 year-old games here, but it's worth noting (I hope) especially if you have a 4:3 TV set at hand.
Can't you have 4:3 display with wide screen TV??

Also some games, such as Perfect Dark, support wide screen.
Old 28 August 2008, 12:50   #113
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Can't you have 4:3 display with wide screen TV??

Also some games, such as Perfect Dark, support wide screen.
Hi,

Right. I could switch mode on the Samsung TV, but, as you say, some games just play fine in 16:9. It looks better, although the cupboard on which the TV set lies on is much too high (no setting for that ). Thanks for that tip.

EDIT : changing mode proved also useful when my screen was flickering, after having plugged my recently acquired PSone.

Here are some fine N64 game reviews, with screenshots.

Last edited by NewDeli; 04 September 2008 at 09:24.
Old 30 August 2008, 21:12   #114
NewDeli
Banned

As for the rare (uncommon in the EC, not : made by Rare) games, what about :
  • Battlezone : Rise of the black dogs
  • Robotron 64
  • Space Invaders (64)
  • Body Harvest (innovative shooter, a bit uneven may be)
Old 10 September 2008, 21:40   #115
Dizzy
Pirate

If you wanna read the patent for the N64 go here
Old 10 September 2008, 21:53   #116
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
If you wanna read the patent for the N64 go here
... erm, what? Oh yes, very interesting indeed
Old 07 February 2010, 08:21   #117
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Good:

GoldenEye (indisputable. It is a lie that the designers weren't trying to make a magnificent game. You can't bumble through game development and pull a masterpiece out of your ass at the end!)
Resident Evil 2 (better than PSX ones and no loading! I love cartridges; I hate CD-ROM when all it is for is FMVs/cutscenes.)
Conker's (only because it is a toilet humour and non-children's game, it wins.)

:-)

No so good, at all really:

Mario64 (horribly over rated by Edge magazine, incidentally a publication of the lowest order because it claims objectivity and some kind of intellectual bent, but has none.)
Legend of Zelda, Ocarina + Majora's (over rated immature little sentimentalised Shinto propaganda games where you can't speed the dialogue up and lose immersion through a little faerie telling you to press button x/y/z on your controller every 2 secs.
Perfect Dark (framerate drops like some SNES games which means even worse than in GoldenEye, and you're a woman, not Bond. It sux, IMNSHO.)
Old 08 February 2010, 16:34   #118
Dan Locke

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

2. Super Mario 64

3. Super Smash Bros.

4. F-Zero X

5. Mario Kart 64

6. 1080° Snowboarding

7. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

8. Excite Bike 64

9. Perfect Dark

10. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Old 08 February 2010, 16:53   #119
john4p
Competition Moderator

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. GoldenEye
4. Mario 64
5. F-Zero X*
6. Diddy Kong Racing

* On the N64 F-Zero X is much better than Mario Kart 64 in my opinion, but on the SNES Super Mario Kart is much better than F-Zero.
Old 08 February 2010, 16:57   #120
Kitty

How good is n64 emulation these days? I would love to play a game of mario 64 and snowboard kids again :-)