English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 08 October 2018, 06:43   #1
jmmijo

Question DLNA or Free NAS ?

So I am looking around for doing a small form factor machine that I could run either Free NAS or a DLNA server on, could be either Windows or Linux, but I'm looking to support multiple USB3/3.1 devices so will probably also want to use a 4 port hub too.

Technically it could even be a NUC type device with HDMI support and at least one USB3 or 3.1 port for a hub.

Basically I want to centralize all my external USB devices onto one central location or connection to feed as a basic media server.

I've already setup and used Universal Media Server for Windows, it's a Java Applet that runs under Java 7 or 8, I use the 8 version.

This is pretty darn easy to setup and can be installed to run as a service on Windows and start automatically.

Any ideas or tips on this one ?
Old 08 October 2018, 08:32   #2
haps
Rumpig

Personally I would get a decent board with at least 8 sata connectors and rip the USB drives out of their cases and bung it all in a nice airy case. For the OS I would build something using Gentoo probably.

With the way you gobble up steam games though you should probably get yourself a SuperMicro storage chassis! :P

Or even build your own Storage Pod. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-...torage-server/

If I had the money I would like to build something along the lines of that blackblaze system.

Last edited by haps; 08 October 2018 at 08:39.
Old 08 October 2018, 10:47   #3
Hewitson

I'd avoid DLNA if at all possible. It's a buggy, poorly implemented piece of shit that causes nothing but problems. Whoever designed it is retarded.
Old 08 October 2018, 21:47   #4
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
Personally I would get a decent board with at least 8 sata connectors and rip the USB drives out of their cases and bung it all in a nice airy case. For the OS I would build something using Gentoo probably.

With the way you gobble up steam games though you should probably get yourself a SuperMicro storage chassis! :P

Or even build your own Storage Pod. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-...torage-server/

If I had the money I would like to build something along the lines of that blackblaze system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I'd avoid DLNA if at all possible. It's a buggy, poorly implemented piece of shit that causes nothing but problems. Whoever designed it is retarded.
@haps, I have all the local Steam Library connected onto RAID ZERO array's already, this isn't neccessary, just media files.

But yes that was something I was considering at some point in the past but I don't think I really need to do that at the moment

@Hewitson, interesting, the DLNA has worked pretty darn good for me so far, well under Windows 10 and before that 8.1 and before that 7.

Could it be not having enough HOST resources like CPU cores and/or memory to spare ?