English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 20 August 2018, 23:27   #41
nobody

I also believe Tf should have more memory but I guess its your project to decide what to do. If it had like 8/16mb I guess 250 is a good price.
Old 20 August 2018, 23:29   #42
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I also believe Tf should have more memory but I guess its your project to decide what to do. If it had like 8/16mb I guess 250 is a good price.
Maybe at some point. But until you get the bugs out with the simple bits you try to keep it cheap and repeatable.

EDIT: Anyways the idea was that someone could do an assembly run and sell them for what they want.
Old 21 August 2018, 02:02   #43
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Its delusional to think the Amiga is useful thesedays. its not.

I agree with everything you've said up until this point and I think your projects are awesome and a great benefit to the community.

But entertainment, and a platform for learning about electronics, soldering, programming are all useful things. Or maybe you just meant an A500 is not useful, or maybe you meant doing things for the laughs is not useful.

Again I agree with almost everything you've said and I bow before your greatness.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 21 August 2018 at 02:42.
Old 21 August 2018, 02:17   #44
nobody

Amiga is very useful with a good accelerator. Playing Spectrum games in 240p without a Spectrum? Name one machine that does 240p now. None, the last was Wii and it doesn't have a 240p spectrum emulator. Also C64 would be amazing. It would be awesome to have all in one, Amiga-C64-Spectrum-NES etc in 240p. Hook to a 20" CRT RGB and welcome to heaven.
Old 21 August 2018, 04:41   #45
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Amiga is very useful with a good accelerator. Playing Spectrum games in 240p without a Spectrum? Name one machine that does 240p now. None, the last was Wii and it doesn't have a 240p spectrum emulator. Also C64 would be amazing. It would be awesome to have all in one, Amiga-C64-Spectrum-NES etc in 240p. Hook to a 20" CRT RGB and welcome to heaven.

So in order to play Speccy game at resolution most TV don't support, you need Amiga + Accelerator...

That was funny, tho...

@plasmab - since introduction of Raspberry Pi (with the same price for last 5 years) and bunch of other competitors including Intel's stick PC etc. everyone is expecting everything else to be cheap(er).

Only difference is that those Amiga accelerator cards don't have 0.1% of market those other little device have... and most are product of teams and are financed through kickstarter etc.

Instead of complaining, folks should just stick to RPi, PC or Mac emulation... etc.
Old 21 August 2018, 14:56   #46
plasmab
Banned

Useful...

I mean if you are using your trying to use an A500 for email, social media, doing accounts, surfing the web... trying to pay your gas bill etc.

If you try to do the above (maybe do them once for a laugh) day to day on an Amiga then in my opinion it’s a fetish. And you probably need help.

This is the trap. Your retro computer doesn’t need to be useful to justify spending money on it.
Old 21 August 2018, 14:59   #47
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
This is the trap. Your retro computer doesn’t need to be useful to justify spending money on it.
Apparently as long as pr0n in 240p works, computer is still useful...

Wait, people do all that stuff on PC today???
Old 21 August 2018, 15:51   #48
nobody

How much does it cost to buy

A500
NES
Gameboy
Spectrum
Msx
C64

All Working with cables, tape decks etc etc.

And yes I do retro-gaming on CRT. I have plenty PCs and 40 inch LCD Sony TVs and 32 inch LCD TVs and PSP and Android consoles and Wii and 2 A500 but I want to play the proper way. And last but not least i have one PC setup in soft15khz with CRT and all. PS I don't use Amiga for e-mail I am not crazy. I could do it just for fun but not for everyday use.
Old 21 August 2018, 17:18   #49
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
How much does it cost to buy

A500
NES
Gameboy
Spectrum
Msx
C64

All Working with cables, tape decks etc etc.

And yes I do retro-gaming on CRT. I have plenty PCs and 40 inch LCD Sony TVs and 32 inch LCD TVs and PSP and Android consoles and Wii and 2 A500 but I want to play the proper way. And last but not least i have one PC setup in soft15khz with CRT and all. PS I don't use Amiga for e-mail I am not crazy. I could do it just for fun but not for everyday use.

That’s really why I think 8Mb is probably all you need in an A500. AGA Amigas maybe more but 32mb in an A500 is not for playing retro games... it’s for trying to pretend your Amiga can play quake/doom. Just use a PC for that.
Old 23 August 2018, 14:24   #50
roondar

I find this whole argument extremely silly.

A designer of hardware gets to decide if, how and when he or she works together with others. Likewise, said designer gets to decide what features to add, what features to skip and how much time, money and effort he or she wants to put in. IMHO, this goes for both hobbiests and professionals.

The most an end user (like myself) can ask for is if a certain feature could be considered. And not in any 'do this' sense, but in a 'would you please consider' sense. If the designer then says no (for whatever reason), well... That's that. Either accept it, try to get something else that does do what you want or make your own.

No one owes you anything. Might not sound nice, but it is the truth.

Personally, I'm really happy and sometimes even excited about all the hardware that's coming out for my retro computer of choice. That most of it is not what I personally want, need or can afford doesn't change that it's a good thing to have all these options out there.