English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 July 2015, 11:39   #1
clebin

GVP power supply question

I'm trying to get my GVP HD8+ Impact II going again but the original PSU is broken. I've got this CD32 power supply:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_psu1541iicd32a590.htm

If I replace the plug with the correct 5-pin DIN plug (which I've got from Maplin), will it be ok to power the GVP?

I'd read that a CD32 power supply would work ok but I didn't have my GVP to hand and the plug turned out to be different (my fault for not checking).

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 28 July 2015, 17:02   #2
clebin

Another question. Looking at the pin-out on The Big Book Of Amiga Hardware site:

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...t.aspx?id=1194

Is that diagram is of the socket on the GVP itself rather than the plug? So, the actual pin-out will be as in the photo I've attached, is that right?

Just want to make double, triply sure I get this right as I've been trying to get the files off that drive since forever...

Chris

Last edited by clebin; 30 July 2015 at 10:16.
Old 28 July 2015, 18:54   #3
Photon

Yes, that is the "view from rear of unit" (socket view) mirror horizontally. So that is correct if the pinout on BBOAH you linked is correct. But you should really use a multimeter when doing these things, and then you can measure resistance (power off) from some +5V point on the expansion board to find which pin on the socket is +5V to check the pinout. Then, you could measure voltages from the power supply to ensure the PSU is OK before using it to power the GVP.

Some sidecar expansions can be powered from the A500 expansion connector, but likely not if you're using an older harddisk. Those draw big currents on powerup.
Old 28 July 2015, 19:49   #4
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Yes, that is the "view from rear of unit" (socket view) mirror horizontally. So that is correct if the pinout on BBOAH you linked is correct. But you should really use a multimeter when doing these things, and then you can measure resistance (power off) from some +5V point on the expansion board to find which pin on the socket is +5V to check the pinout. Then, you could measure voltages from the power supply to ensure the PSU is OK before using it to power the GVP.

Some sidecar expansions can be powered from the A500 expansion connector, but likely not if you're using an older harddisk. Those draw big currents on powerup.
Thanks Photon. Someone who's less of a klutz is doing the cable, and he has a multimeter so we'll do as you suggest.

Also, I've just found a thread on AmiBay where Zetr0 gives a clear diagram and Buzzfuzz confirms it:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...r-supply/page2

It appears that the diagram on BBOAH is actually the PSU lead not the socket on the GVP. I wish BBOAH had been clearer about this.

I'll update the thread and remove my photo when this is resolved as I don't want to confuse anyone else.

Chris
Old 30 July 2015, 10:44   #5
clebin

Update:

It seems that the pin-out on BBOAH does indeed show the connector not the GVP.

We wired it up and the first few times I used it, everything ran fine. The next time, though, the fan dipped in speed when I turned the 500 on, the hard-drive didn't spin up, and the drive wasn't recognised. Doesn't sound good.

Luckily, the first thing I did was to back up everything I wanted onto 10 floppy disks. I am very relieved to finally have my files!

My previous failed attempts:

1. I tried using Amiga Explorer with an old Thinkpad that kept switching itself off after a few minutes. No luck.
2. A few years later, I tried again... but discovered my A500+'s battery had leaked and the machine was completely knackered!
3. So I bought a replacement A500+. My GVP's PSU then popped and died.

The Amiga curse is strong with that hard-disk!

Chris