English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 March 2013, 23:50   #1
isamu

Mapping multiple USB devices to one "gameport" in WinUAE?

Hi. I have been fiddling around with the latest WinUAE, and cannot find a way to map my controllers to either port 1 or port 2. Here's the deal, I have a steering wheel, a set of pedals and an 8-way H-gated stick shifter....all three are *separate* usb game devices. I would like to play some driving games such as Lotus Espirit Challenge with my wheel, pedals and stick shifter, but this seems impossible because there are only options to assign to port 1 and port 2. Is there any way around this?
Old 18 March 2013, 08:06   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yes. Click "Remap" button next to port selection. Try also latest 2.6 beta because remap option was greatly improved.

(Input panel is even more flexible but also can be very unintuitive..)
Old 18 March 2013, 17:29   #3
isamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Yes. Click "Remap" button next to port selection. Try also latest 2.6 beta because remap option was greatly improved.

(Input panel is even more flexible but also can be very unintuitive..)
Hello Toni. First of all thank you for developing this wonderful emulator. Secondly thank for your reply and suggestion.

I am looking that remap option now....I was looking at it before I started the original post, but taking a closer look, it appears I have to clicking "delete all" in order to begin the process of remapping things the way I want them to be. Also, there is a drop down menu to the right of the "auto-fire" drop down menu. First selection is "default" then mouse, etc. Should I pick "analog joystick" in order to get analog steering with my wheel?

I'm curious about something....when you assign either port to an analog device, does this fool the emulated Amiga into thinking there's a real analog joystick connected? If so, then does that mean all racing games can be controlled with an analog wheel with *TRUE* analog steering movements? Even if the game only supports digital left and right steering? How does it work exactly?
Old 18 March 2013, 18:39   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post
Should I pick "analog joystick" in order to get analog steering with my wheel?
Yes. Getting your setup configured should be as simple as: "delete all", "remap", move wheel left once. (Both left and right should be automatically mapped to wheel x axis). Then push accelerator pedal once (Should map up and down. I am not sure what happens if pedals are separate devices, probably isn't compatible with Amiga games without extra emulator support) and finally gear shift button up and down.

Quote:
I'm curious about something....when you assign either port to an analog device, does this fool the emulated Amiga into thinking there's a real analog joystick connected? If so, then does that mean all racing games can be controlled with an analog wheel with *TRUE* analog steering movements? Even if the game only supports digital left and right steering? How does it work exactly?
Unfortunately it isn't possible. Analog joystick setting only works if game supports analog joysticks or steering wheel.
Old 19 March 2013, 15:42   #5
isamu

Thanks for the reply. I successfully mapped my pedals to up and down, but for some reason they do not funtion properly in the game. In Lotus Challenge menu for example, pressing gas and break only engages the signal once. Then there is no response.

Furthermore, I am curious....does the emulator support the xinput api?
Old 20 March 2013, 19:58   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post
Thanks for the reply. I successfully mapped my pedals to up and down, but for some reason they do not funtion properly in the game. In Lotus Challenge menu for example, pressing gas and break only engages the signal once. Then there is no response.
Are the pedals separate devices or one device?

Attach winuaebootlog.txt and your config file, thanks.

Quote:
Furthermore, I am curious....does the emulator support the xinput api?
No, WinUAE uses rawinput (mouse, keyboard and raw hid for game controllers) for everything which is much more flexible and lower level than xinput.
Old 21 March 2013, 21:50   #7
isamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Are the pedals separate devices or one device?
If you mean all three pedals(gas, brake and clutch) then they are all on one usb device unit, and separate from my wheel. They contain a gas, clutch and brake pedal. They are all on separate axis and there is no option to combine their axis as one.

Quote:
Attach winuaebootlog.txt and your config file, thanks.
Sure no problem here it is. Please note that during the "test" phase within the remap menu, all inputs work fine. Only in the game does it exibit a problem. Perhaps it related to this....

Quote:
No, WinUAE uses rawinput (mouse, keyboard and raw hid for game controllers) for everything which is much more flexible and lower level than xinput.
Hmmm, all my devices are DirectInput devices, so maybe that's the problem?
Attached Files
File Type: rar For Toni.rar (7.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 22 March 2013, 10:55   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No, they are USB HID, all modern USB game controllers are USB HID ("Human Interface Device"). Does not need extra drivers, works on all HID compatible operating systems automatically.

Log looks ok except device called "3", whats that?

I still think the problem is in WinUAE when converting analog "half-axis" controller to digital button, could you do following test:

Use latest beta, Boot to WB, open GUI, click GamePorts panel mouse port remap button, delete all, double click on right mouse button field, push accelerator pedal. Does it map properly? Exit GUI (Leave all other fields empty)

Does accelerator pedal now emulate right mouse button press/release correctly? WB menu bar opens and closes normally or does it get stuck?

Do same test with gear stick.