English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 July 2009, 00:22   #1
JrasicMark

How/where do I save files in Amiga Forever?

I got Amiga Forever a while ago and have been using it to play around with Comic Setter just like the old days when I used it on my Amiga 500. (I found the Comic Setter adf's online).

It seems Comic Setter won't run in Workbench 3.X, but it can in WB 1.3. But when I try to save a finished file, I can't figure out how to access my PC's hard drive. And since the disk drives in Amiga Forever are just emulated, and not real disk drives with real disks in them, I don't see how I can save the files to disk (as my old manual recommends).

I'd like to save them to the PC's hard drive somehow so I can see if I can open them in Photoshop to print them (since Comic Setter can't make heads or tails out of my modern Epson printer).

I Googled Comic Setter and found a patch on AmiNet that says it will allow Comic Setter to run in WB 3.x. But does anyone know how to run a patch so it attatches to the intended software within the emulation?

Does anyone know if there's any way to do what I want?

Old 17 July 2009, 00:27   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi JrasicMark,

You can emulate a hard drive in WinUAE with a folder on your Windows hard drive, which is then accessible from the Amiga and Windows side.
Old 17 July 2009, 16:25   #3
JrasicMark

Thanks, Prowler.
Does it matter where I put the folder for the hard drive (in the Amiga Files folder, maybe?). And does it matter what I name the folder?

Also, I was playing around with it after I asked my previous question, and I discovered I was able to run ComicSetter in Workbench 3.x and therefore was able to access my PC hard drive from there.

So I tried saving files from ComicSetter, but I kept getting error messages and it didn't work. So I tried opening some of the ComicSetter brushes in Personal Paint and saving from there to my PC hard drive (I even saved it as a .BMP, hoping the PC would be able to recognize it more easily). I didn't get an error message, so I thought it worked, but the file was not visible on my PC after I quit out of Amiga Forever (even when I tried to open it from Photoshop CS2).

Is this because I didn't have that hard drive folder set up? Or is something else going on? Does the PC not recognize Amiga Files (even though I saved it as CSHero.bmp?)

Old 17 July 2009, 16:40   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrasicMark View Post
Does it matter where I put the folder for the hard drive (in the Amiga Files folder, maybe?). And does it matter what I name the folder?
No, it doesn't matter where your folder is or how it's named.
You said that you were able to save from WinUAE to your PC HD, so I assume you either mounted a folder by using the 'Add Directory or Archive...' dialog or by enabling 'Add PC drives at startup'.

You could try to save your file as an IFF and use one of the programs mentioned in this thread to open it : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10976
Old 18 July 2009, 02:43   #5
JrasicMark

Thanks, Cyber. Actually, I didn't do either of those things. I was just able to see my PC hard drive from Workbench 3.x without doing anything. But I created a new folder from the PC side to stand in for the Amiga Hard Drive before I started up Amiga Forever.

After that, I was able to open the ComicSetter brushes in Personal Paint and re-save them into my Amiga HD folder as bmp files; from there, I could open them from Photoshop on the PC. I was nervous about trying the IFF format, but I downloaded the Photoshop IFF plugin, so maybe I'll try that next time.

I still couldn't save from ComicSetter, though. I kept getting an error that said "Can't open file" (even though I was trying to save, not open). Weird.

Old 18 July 2009, 08:06   #6
thomas

Quote:
I kept getting an error that said "Can't open file"
Does the file name or path have a space character anywhere in it ? Try again with another path/name which does not have a space.

Quote:
even though I was trying to save, not open
The file has to be opened any way, either for input or for output.