Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Okay I'm just curious if someone really uses WinFellow on Vista
I'd be surprissed if anyone does!
Old 21 December 2008, 19:26   #62
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I just did...

... and before you guys are gonna question my sanity, I did it only because you said so, it's nothing I would do for serious
Old 22 December 2008, 14:05   #63
haynor666
retro maniac

...and I don't because I don't have Vista yet. But on the other hand I'll probably install this system anyway due to 64bit possibilities (MAME 64bit version etc.). I hope it will be worth.
Old 22 December 2008, 14:08   #64
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor View Post
...and I don't because I don't have Vista yet. But on the other hand I'll probably install this system anyway due to 64bit possibilities (MAME 64bit version etc.). I hope it will be worth.
Even if Shoonay will hate me for that, but there is also XP 64bit
Old 22 December 2008, 14:20   #65
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Even if Shoonay will hate me for that, but there is also XP 64bit
No drivers, no updates, no thanks.
Old 22 December 2008, 14:23   #66
haynor666
retro maniac

Yes but it's a bit usupported by Microsoft and it's english only or at least polish version doesn't exits.

Well, maybe for MAME it will be enough but I have only one strong PC (second is crap) and I need computer not only for MAME but also for PC games, internet etc.
Old 22 December 2008, 14:25   #67
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
No drivers, no updates, no thanks.
Ah come on, your good old friend BSOD will visit you from time to time and you can have a happy time together Now I wonder if anyone tried WinFellow with XP 64...
Old 26 September 2010, 16:22   #68
Mequa

The original 2005 sources for WinFellow are available if you want to build your own version using MS Visual Studio 2008.

I'm not sure if this would be any more stable than the official build on Windows Vista and Windows 7 (which are based on the same kernel) - I managed to build WinFellow unmodified and it seemed to work ok on Windows 7 64-bit - but I've yet to compare thoroughly with the official (2005) builds.
There may also be some simple modifications which can be made to the source which may improve compatibility with Vista/7.

Why run WinFellow on Windows Vista or Windows 7?

Well on 1.6GHz Intel Atom-based netbooks with Windows 7 (32-bit), some Amiga games such as Kid Chaos (which I posted about on the WinUAE board) suffer from performance issues in WinUAE, but run full-speed or faster in WinFellow on the same system. (XP also seems to give slightly better performance than 7 or Vista for WinUAE on such a low-end machine - but 7 is fast becoming standard.)

I have both WinUAE and WinFellow installed on my Windows 7 netbook (although I rarely use WinFellow).

Fellow also has historical interest, as it was UAE's major competitor (and offshoot) back in the day!
You can even run DOSFellow in DOSBox and get good performance on a reasonable PC...

Last edited by Mequa; 26 September 2010 at 17:25.
Old 28 October 2010, 20:26   #69
Worfje

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
I've tried WinFellow on Vista Ultimate SP1 (32-bit) and had not problems at all running it, as long as I don't tick the 'Interlace Compensation' option, otherwise it crashes WinFellow.
This has been fixed in the new snapshot release of WinFellow (v0.4.4 build 3, which has been released today ). It would also crash when enabling exact vertical pixel doubling.
Old 28 October 2010, 20:37   #70
Worfje

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I have tried Winfellow on Windows Vista : Winfellow doesn't work on Vista.
If I put an ADF in Winfellow, i have always the screen of Kickstart 1.3 like I have never put the rom.
The only working roms are the DMS
I think Winfellow needs to be updated
WinFellow has been updated and the above problems have been identified and fixed.

I am sorry that it took almost 3 years to supply an answer & solution.

Last edited by Worfje; 28 October 2010 at 21:27.
Old 31 October 2010, 17:03   #71
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worfje View Post
WinFellow has been updated and the above problems have been identified and fixed.
Better late than never!

I see WinFellow v0.4.4 build 3 is still rockin' with the old Windows 95, but you apparently killed Windows NT 4 support (DirectX 3?). Was that intentional?
(Although sticking 95/98se on a crappy old NT4 workstation would fix that issue. I was pleased to see however that WinFellow alpha v0.4.4 build 2 is still available for those with dinosaur workstations.)
I know NT4 was a terrible OS, but the main advantage WinFellow has over WinUAE is on old hardware.

That is, until pocket-size circa-1GHz x86-compatible devices running Windows XP or a cut-down 7 Basic come into vogue.
Then WinFellow may have a new lease of life

Last edited by Mequa; 31 October 2010 at 17:15.
Old 01 November 2010, 22:21   #72
Mequa

Quote:
This has been fixed in the new snapshot release of WinFellow (v0.4.4 build 3, which has been released today ). It would also crash when enabling exact vertical pixel doubling.
Exact vertical pixel doubling now runs fine on Windows 7, in both low-res and hi-res modes, however with line mode "stretched" the screen refresh runs much slower on my setup with sound enabled, compared with "exact".

Last edited by Mequa; 01 November 2010 at 22:51.
Old 02 November 2010, 09:13   #73
Worfje

Good to hear that it is running OK on Win7.

In the past, we introduced the 'stretch' option, since it should require less cpu power. It is supposed to be hardware accelerated through DirectX. It looks like this does not apply for your setup.

Anyway, I find stretch to be ugly. So, if exact doubling is faster on your system, you have two good reasons to use it.
Old 02 November 2010, 09:58   #74
Worfje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mequa View Post
you apparently killed Windows NT 4 support (DirectX 3?). Was that intentional?
Yes, we had no possibility to test WinFellow on WinNT. If someone would be willing to test it on WinNT, it would be no problem to add the WinNT download to the website.
Old 01 September 2011, 04:06   #75
Mequa

Worfje (if you are still here), how difficult would it be to add support for the new AROS-68k ROM to WinFellow? This would require extended Kickstart (and serial) support. This would at least allow WinFellow to work without copyrighted ROMs as a totally free alternative to the UAE family.

WinFellow was a great emulator. The only problem is it never got out of alpha stage.
Old 07 November 2011, 14:34   #76
Worfje

Hi Mequa,

I tried to run Fellow with the rom found in the file AROS-20111107-amiga-m68k-boot.lha.

The checksum of the rom is OK, the basebank address is valid and Fellow identifies it as a 'post V3.1 kickrom'. So far so good. But after this, the screen remains blank.

Which (emulated) hardware does this rom demand from the emulator?

Last edited by Worfje; 07 November 2011 at 15:05.
Old 07 November 2011, 17:39   #77
Mequa

I know AROS-68k requires extended (1MB) Kickstart ROM support and (according to Toni) serial port emulation. Also at least 3MB+ RAM total (I'd use 2MB Chip and 8MB Fast). It doesn't require AGA, as far as I know. Not sure what else, perhaps Toni could help there.

Glad to see WinFellow isn't dead yet. ;-)

P.S. I was going to ask, how about getting Cloanto to update Amiga Forever to auto-update to the latest WinFellow (alongside WinUAE)?
Since they still advertise on the box that both emulators are included...
Old 07 November 2011, 18:23   #78
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yeah, most common problem is non-emulated serial port interrupts. They are required for serial debug log output. (No interrupts = instant hang when first character is sent)
Old 07 November 2011, 21:04   #79
Worfje

WinFellow supports the interrupts from the serial port (bit 11 and bit 0 from register INTENA(R).

About the need for extended (1MB) Kickstart ROM support, the rom's I found on the internet both were 512KB. So, why would you need extended (1MB) Kickstart support?

I'll try Fellow with some more chip and/or fast memory.
Old 07 November 2011, 23:16   #80
Mequa

Quote:
About the need for extended (1MB) Kickstart ROM support, the rom's I found on the internet both were 512KB. So, why would you need extended (1MB) Kickstart support?
I'm sure Toni could answer this better... but AROS-68k ROM set is one 512KB ROM + one 512KB extended ROM = 1MB ROM, much like with the CD32 and CDTV ROMs. Only in this case, both ROM files MUST be loaded (unless a cut-down 512KB version is produced one day).

I believe this feature was recently added to Janus-UAE on AROS-x86 (e.g. the Icaros Desktop distro), enabling AROS-68k to be emulated under non-68k AROS (although still inferior to WinUAE) and making Janus-UAE work without copyrighted ROM images. I have no idea how non-trivial it would be to add to WinFellow.

An alternative method of testing AROS-68k is to boot the "bootdisk-amiga-m68k.adf" floppy image (this requires a real Kickstart [3.x?] ROM, which defeats the object of a FreeKick), however this doesn't (as yet) seem to work with WinFellow either...

Keep up the good work! (What next, AROS-68k on MESS? )