English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 January 2018, 23:21   #1
martingrclark

Floppy Sound Emulation

For every config i have for emulating different machines I set sound to the real amiga disc drive sound and save it with the rest of the config, but every time i load the config back its set to no sound?

anyone any ideas ?, all the rest of the settings i saved seem to be sticking just fine.

Old 29 January 2018, 16:56   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I forgot to reply.. It is a bug in 3.6, there is no workarounds. (Possibly even in older ones in relative paths mode)
Old 01 February 2018, 01:43   #3
ProdigalAmigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I forgot to reply.. It is a bug in 3.6, there is no workarounds. (Possibly even in older ones in relative paths mode)
Toni!

First of all let me just thank you SO MUCH for creating(?) maintaining and improving WinUAE in the way that you're doing.

It's such an amazing emulator that it actually got me into buying and upgrading an actual Amiga 1200 with "all the bells and whistles" to make up for the mistake I made by selling my trusty old Amiga 500 back in the 90's. So I actually do have real hardware too now which is great!

Now about the bug you mention with no workaround (from my limited knowledge I would assume it could be easily fixed but if you say there is no workaround then ... there probably isn't).

Instead I would propose (if at all possible) to replace the floppy drive sounds that are built in with the Real Amiga floppy sounds. I don't know if anyone else would agree with me in this but I think that the Real Amiga Floppy sound set is not as harsh sounding (and very realistic).

/Kindest regards
Prodigal Amigan.
Old 01 February 2018, 01:48   #4
honx

there are real amiga sounds in winuae? ist that new?
Old 01 February 2018, 02:14   #5
ProdigalAmigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
there are real amiga sounds in winuae? ist that new?
The Real Amiga Floppy sounds referred to are (or at least used to be) available on the Official WinUAE homepage and can be installed and selected under the Sound settings in the emulator once installed.

The problem that I encountered is that in WinUAE 3.6 if you select the Real sounds instead of the built-in one and save your configuration it will not save and instead default to no floppy sound.

So my suggestion to Toni is that maybe he could swap out the now built in floppy sounds with the external selectable sounds instead (as they sound much better IMHO).

//Prodigal Amigan
Old 01 February 2018, 10:31   #6
Mclane
Old retro god.

Love the floppy sounds, as I just got hardware back for the first time in many years I'd forgotten how loud the machines are

With emulation having the floppy noises just adds to the experience for me, I know some don't like them but I do
Old 01 February 2018, 11:23   #7
liveevil
Custom User Title

I reported this to Tony last week, he fixed it in the latest Beta.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=385
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=87810&page=20