English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 21 September 2010, 12:28   #141
zipper

I think I have at least 10 legal roms for my A500 and A4000 - 1.3;2.1;3.0;3.1 in different versions plus 3x Amiga Forever - not to speak of the bunch of illegal ones.
Old 21 September 2010, 12:30   #142
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
Wouldn't make them much of a profit then
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Don't think they have a 'pay per sold license' deal, so putting that package up is all they have to do (at least in theory) to earn some additional bucks. Ah well, Google is your friend and I don't really care about that sensible priced package.
Old 23 September 2010, 00:20   #143
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Main problem is Cloanto dont know or wont say who to ask about distributing the KS for free

Personally think Cloanto should release KS roms for free and charge for their own software, mainly the stuff they created
Old 23 September 2010, 10:15   #144
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
Main problem is Cloanto dont know or wont say who to ask about distributing the KS for free

Personally think Cloanto should release KS roms for free and charge for their own software, mainly the stuff they created
There is also the distributors of legal Roms as in the 3.1 Rom or disks sold on Ebay for example by Analogic Computers who could be asked about who they pay the licence money to (I doubt if you would get an answer though). I would think their supplier incorporates the licence doings in the stock they sell, so basically find the supplier and maybe things will become much clearer as to who you need to speak to.

My view on the licence situation is that we are all being taken for a ride, lots being said about having legal licences and the likes but no one coming forward with who they pay the fees to or who to contact.

Well I may be completely wrong like the time I thought I was going to pass wind........ but that's another story
Old 25 December 2010, 11:48   #145
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
Are there any proposals to make everyone more happy, while allowing to make a little bit of sales to justify further development?
Sorry to revive an old thread, I'm just a new kid on the block and stumped over this interesting debate.

This said, Michele, as the typical AF buyer is someone who possibly appreciate a nice packaging to preserve his memories of this platform, it should be interesting to include also a good (digital) copy of the documentation that came along with the hardware: amigaDOS manuals and - why not - {arexx, asm,c,basic} programming manuals and whatnot from Commodore authorized publishing.

The idea was mentioned here.

Ciao,
Antonio
Old 09 January 2011, 18:07   #146
Tuxon86

What I would like from Cloanto is if they would be kind enough to sell floppy set of the classic amiga KS & Workbench to us users of the old workhorse. Many time when we purchase a used Amiga we don't get any software for them. Also, buying a Catweasle just for the purpose of recreating the disk from some adf or having to buy them from third party on Evilbay is counterproductive.

Old 09 January 2011, 19:28   #147
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxon86 View Post
What I would like from Cloanto is if they would be kind enough to sell floppy set of the classic amiga KS & Workbench to us users of the old workhorse. Many time when we purchase a used Amiga we don't get any software for them. Also, buying a Catweasle just for the purpose of recreating the disk from some adf or having to buy them from third party on Evilbay is counterproductive.
Hi there Tuxon86,

depending on whether or not you have an Amiga like a 600 or 1200 that can read a Compact Flash card or have its hard drive attached to a PC via WinUAE to be read and wrote to etc also depends on how easy it is to convert the workbench ADF files that are already included in the Amiga Forever CD :-

D:\Amiga Files\Shared\adf

In that folder you will find quite a few sets of workbench disks that you can copy to your Amiga via a CF card or its hard drive connected to a PC or the slow way via a serial cable or through the printer port. Once you have them available to the Amiga, you can simply download and use ADF2DISK from Aminet to write the various ADF's back to floppy disk. These disks are fully bootable where they are meant to be and some do have the odd file missing for legal/licence reasons although it hasn't made any difference to me and I don't know what was removed, I can say that I have never needed whatever it was though

Realistically as long as you have purchased a Cloanto CD as above, then along with it you also purchased the rights to use it and the files within, there is no stipulation that I can think of that stops you from using the files outside of the emulator. That aside, there is always the second hand market as in Evilbay or other proper sellers who sell brand new.

If you have a 600 or 1200 Amiga you can add a hard drive or CF drive as well as a CF-PCMCIA card to transfer files from a PC to the Amiga. both of those you can do yourself or buy from Amigakit who also post here have some very good ready to setup options for that purpose and will always be there if you have a problem.

Most of us will now have legal/original workbench disks in various revisions, but I dare say that is more a case of many years of making do with whatever we could get our hands on at the time, the licensing issue was then and still is a pretty silly subject, yet it still goes on, pretty crazy really.