English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 25 March 2013, 20:25   #1
Viserion

WBclassic 3.9 on a real Amiga

First version of this got eaten by my web browser crashing.

Hopefully I will manage to get all of what I wrote the first time included in this.

I'm been trying a few weeks to get Wbclassic installed on an Amiga that has a 030 accelerator with 128mb memory, and a 8gb CF card. I also has a 4gb card that I also has tried, but it makes no difference.

I use the old Amiga 500 power supply, so that should not be an issue, and the kickrom is upgraded from 3.0 to 3.1 .

Both are formated to SFS, and the boot partition is 1gb big.
I've also ticked the bootable option on the first partition.

Changed blocksize to 512, buffer to 100, and MaxTransfer to 0x1FE00.

I do notice that 0x1fe00 turns to 0x0001fe00 (it's either 3 or 4 zeros after the x.)

A game partition that is 4GB and a Programs directory for the rest.

I've tried numerous different approaches to upgrade, including following the guide on WBclassics web site religiously.

When I've upgraded from 3.1 to 3.9, and added the 2 Boingballs, I copy from the hardfile (in Winuae) to my Cf card. I but it in the Amiga, and it boots just fine.

I then follow instructions, and load one hard file with OS3.9 installed as DH0, and the system.hdf file as DH1. Do the upgrade, and then copy the contents in dopus from hardfile to CF.

When booting up the Amiga, I get :

Software error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Error:8000 0004 Task: 0800C548

Written in red. It goes in a loop with this until I switch off the power.

One of the other alternatives to install WBclassic I've tried is to zip the system.hdf after I've installed WBclassic, the written the adf to a floppyand unpacked the zip to my CF, bu get the same results when booting from the CF.

The strange thing is that WBclassic 3.9 boots up fine in Winuae.

PSF3 is also tried, but went back to SFS as I'm unsure if I used the correct version of PSF3.

Anyone got any ideas, because I've hit the on this one.
Old 25 March 2013, 22:04   #2
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

What is your SetPatch declaration?
It seems like a scsi.device issue to me.
Old 26 March 2013, 16:56   #3
Viserion

Googled Setpatch as I had no idea what it was.

There I found that someone else had a similar problem.

A test was to rename "Amiga OS ROM Update" to "Amiga OS ROM Update.bak".

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66545

This did the trick for me, as it now boots. For a more permanent solution go into shell, a write
Code:
ed s/startup-sequence

The only thing I can find with SetPatch is, as you wrote:

Code:
IF SCSIUpdate EQ 1
C:SetPatch QUIET
ELSE
C:SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET
It did not give a clear solution(at least to me), so I njeed help to find out what should be there instead.
Old 26 March 2013, 17:15   #4
thomas

You should not skip scsi.device. You need it because your CF card is bigger than 4GB.
Old 26 March 2013, 18:41   #5
Turran

That's the default line and it never reaches that part of the startup-sequence. The one that gets executed is
Code:
C:SetPatch QUIET
Instead of renaming the file, you can change the above line to
Code:
C:SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET
and it should work as well.

I have the exact same problem in my A1200 and A4000 with one particular CF card. It can not load the 3.9 kickrom with setpatch. If I do as you have, preventing it from trying to patch, it works just fine. It also works fine in WinUAE, as you describe.

I do not remember the model now but its a 16GB CF card. It works just fine for all amiga OSs I toss on it, until I get to 3.9 (have not tried 3.5) and as soon as setpatch is executed without NOROMUPDATE, it gives me a software failure.

I took another 16GB card, partitioned it and just copied everything over in WinUAE from the other card and it works fine. I tried to make a sector copy of the new working card over to the faulty one, thinking something was wrong with the partitioning, but the same thing happens.

It now resides in an A1200 with WB3.1, working just fine.

This problem drove me nuts for a few weeks before I tested another CF card... My guess is that its the scsi.device that setpatch is trying to patch in, does not like that particular CF card.
You could test that theory by downloading LoadModule (Dont think that is included in ClassicWB 3.9) from aminet: http://aminet.net/search?query=loadmodule.lha
Extract it and copy LoadModule to C:

Now copy, for example, SYS:MyFiles/Install/LargeHD/128GB_Support/SCSI_v43_45_ChrisToni/A1200IDE.scsi.device.43.45 to Devs: and name it scsi.device

In startup-sequence, above the "C:SetPatch QUIET" line, add:
LoadModule Devs:scsi.device NOREBOOT

And change the SetPatch line to:

Should now look like this basically:
Code:
IF SCSIUpdate EQ 1
ELSE
It should now load scsi.device 43.45 and not restart. SetPatch will do its patching but dont do anything with scsi.device, then reboot.

If that works, its the scsi.device version that OS 3.9 tries to use that does not like that CF card. If it does not work, it has nothing to do with the scsi.device or its not even your CF card, I guess...

Edit: For your reference, this is the only PFS version you ever need: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio.lha

Here are my (new) cheat notes for PFS3:
Code:
PFS\03 = 0x50465303

Mask = 0x7ffffffe (There are 6 f’s)
MaxTransfer = 0x1fe00
Blocksize = 512

pfsformat drive dh1: name Work noicons quick fnsize 107
You'll find pfsformat (since you use classicwb) in SYS:MyFiles/Install/LargeHD/128GB_Support/PFS3/tools

Last edited by Turran; 26 March 2013 at 18:56.
Old 26 March 2013, 20:30   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I have an 8gb Kingston CF here that wont work with SCSI.Device 43.24 (Wont boot, I think it was Guru & reboot loop after loading the SCSI.device)

Solution was to use 43.45 by Chris/Toni, in my case I put it inside a Custom Rom which I put in Maprom on my ACA1232.
Old 26 March 2013, 22:36   #7
Viserion

Thank you for all replies.

Been messing around with it earlier today, and the installation started to get a bit unstable, so tomorrow I will format and copy the CF disk, and try out your suggestions.
Old 27 March 2013, 23:32   #8
Viserion

Been installing everything again, and can happily say that everything Turran suggested worked beautifully.

So I started the next project to get the PCMCIA working, as I have a Cf card formated in fat format to ease moving files from pc and Amiga.

I have gotten it to work before, but I don't remember how.

Installed everything (fat95.lha and cfd.lha). After bit of searching and fiddling I managed to mount it manually(mount cf0, but when I rebooted the Amiga, it didn't show up
automatically, and when trying to mount it manually, I got an error saying it was already mounted. What gives?
Old 28 March 2013, 10:15   #9
thomas

You need the reset fix for the PCMCIA port. Either in hardware or this:
http://aminet.net/util/boot/CardReset.lha
http://aminet.net/util/boot/CardPatch.lha
Old 28 March 2013, 14:50   #10
Viserion

Thanks thomas.

I will give it a go, when I'm finishing copying WHDLoad games to the CF.

Thinkm I have a bigger problem however, as I conected it to a pair of speakers, and the sound was very low, and sounded horrible.

I fear that something about the audio is broken.
Old 28 March 2013, 14:52   #11
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Probably Capacitors leaking
Old 28 March 2013, 15:33   #12
Viserion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Probably Capacitors leaking
Probably yes.

Haven't had time to see for myself.

Any pointers on how to fix this.
Old 02 April 2013, 18:33   #13
Turran

Open and have a look at the caps. There are two for the sounds that are located just behind the keyboard connector on the motherboard. The solderjoints should be nice and shiny. If they seem dull, you need to replace them.

And if so, you might as well change them all. Recommend you send it to someone for that. Amigakit has a service for it. I can also do it for you if you want to send it to Stockholm.

If there are something else wrong though, I do not have the equipment for any super deep error searching apart from beeping stuff with a multimeter =)
Old 05 January 2015, 22:29   #14
spudje

Sorry to revive this thread. It was really helpful. I made below changes to the startup-sequence and my A1200 booted up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Should now look like this basically:
Code:
IF SCSIUpdate EQ 1
ELSE
But then I wanted to add
Code:
C:CPU FASTROM BURST
To make use of the MMU of my 1230/50 but I guess I placed it wrongly, not inside the same IF statement and I ran into the same guru loop.

Where should I put this statement in combination with the above code?

Thanks!!
Old 27 April 2019, 18:56   #15
kublai

I am having the same problem with running WB 3.9 on my real A1200 but yet runs fine in WINUAE v4.2.0. The problem was with the Amiga OS ROM Update. I renamed it to .bak and I no longer get the red screen on bootup but now I have a couple of issues:

1. I cannot load my scsi.device automatically in the startup-sequence as I'm using a 32GB SDcard. I have tried this but no luck

IF SCSIUpdate EQ 1
ELSE

2. The screen on my real Amiga is 640x400 interlace so I have to scroll the screen on my PC monitor. Is there a way to make the resolution higher so it looks like WINUAE?

3. The WHLOAD iGame no longer works without the Amiga OS ROM Update being loaded as I just get a quick flash when I tried to load it. Inside WINUAE even with the Amiga OS ROM Update being renamed it still works. The normal non GUI of WHLOAD still work in my real A1200.

Thanks in advance
Old 27 April 2019, 22:30   #16
tech3475

Quote:
Originally Posted by kublai View Post
I am having the same problem with running WB 3.9 on my real A1200 but yet runs fine in WINUAE v4.2.0. The problem was with the Amiga OS ROM Update. I renamed it to .bak and I no longer get the red screen on bootup but now I have a couple of issues:

1. I cannot load my scsi.device automatically in the startup-sequence as I'm using a 32GB SDcard. I have tried this but no luck

IF SCSIUpdate EQ 1
ELSE

2. The screen on my real Amiga is 640x400 interlace so I have to scroll the screen on my PC monitor. Is there a way to make the resolution higher so it looks like WINUAE?

3. The WHLOAD iGame no longer works without the Amiga OS ROM Update being loaded as I just get a quick flash when I tried to load it. Inside WINUAE even with the Amiga OS ROM Update being renamed it still works. The normal non GUI of WHLOAD still work in my real A1200.

Thanks in advance
In regards to 1, unfortunately I can't access my real amiga but what I did was:
1) Have WB within the 4GB limit (I was on KS 3.1), may not be strictly necessary but didn't think it was worth the risk.
2) use post 12 here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63245

3) Then load a newer scsi.device while requiring the reboot.

Unfortunately I can't access my install at the moment to look at the exact script and thinking about it 2 and 3 may be the other way round (i.e. update scsi.device then skipromupdate).

But with this I keep the rom update and have a newer scsi.device, just using extra partitions for everything else.

In regards to 2, I think I just changed the resolution to a higher one from the list in screenmode then tried manually changing the resolution, possibly with interlace but it looked fine on my monitor.

I suggest just messing around with the settings.

Maybe try bootctrl if it applies to your setup but I've never tried it.

Edit:

If the 4GB limit is an issue but you want the large partition, you could either upgrade kickstart in rom or have a small ‘boot’ partition to upgrade scsi.device then reboot into wb3.9 using bootctrl.

Haven’t tested that though on real hardware.

Last edited by tech3475; 27 April 2019 at 22:50.
Old 27 April 2019, 23:10   #17
xubidoo

igame, only seems to work if your in a lower resolution like pal/ntsc hi res

had the same problem, think theres a workaround but cant remember what it entails or if it even works as i never tried it,as simply dropping to PAL hi res solved it for me.
But after all that i dont even use igame anyway lol , i simply browse the folders to choose a game.

Old 28 April 2019, 03:41   #18
kublai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
In regards to 1, unfortunately I can't access my real amiga but what I did was:
1) Have WB within the 4GB limit (I was on KS 3.1), may not be strictly necessary but didn't think it was worth the risk.
2) use post 12 here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63245

3) Then load a newer scsi.device while requiring the reboot.

Unfortunately I can't access my install at the moment to look at the exact script and thinking about it 2 and 3 may be the other way round (i.e. update scsi.device then skipromupdate).

But with this I keep the rom update and have a newer scsi.device, just using extra partitions for everything else.

In regards to 2, I think I just changed the resolution to a higher one from the list in screenmode then tried manually changing the resolution, possibly with interlace but it looked fine on my monitor.

I suggest just messing around with the settings.

Maybe try bootctrl if it applies to your setup but I've never tried it.

Edit:

If the 4GB limit is an issue but you want the large partition, you could either upgrade kickstart in rom or have a small ‘boot’ partition to upgrade scsi.device then reboot into wb3.9 using bootctrl.

Haven’t tested that though on real hardware.

First of all thanks very much for your reply. I have been at this thing for about a week and just figured out today that the Update ROM is causing the red screen.

1) My System partition (DH0) is only 2GB but using the pfsa3io drive for psf3, my DH1 is 27GB and that's the partitoin that need the scsi.device for it to be seen

2)I did use post 12 in that thread and Tried to reinstall BB2. I noticed when I installed BB2 it did not put a new ROM update in the devs: drawer as I still had my .bak in there. Once I renamed .bak to ROM Update, my screen turned red at bootup and couldn't go any further.

I'm still unable to load my scsi.device from the startup-sequence so I have to keep loading it manually once I'm in workbench.

3) I tried installing DBLNTSC but it would not boot for me when I put in the line
BootControl MODE=VGA INSTALL BOOT GFX=BEST LOADVGA PATCHALERT QUIET READICON >NIL:

I was not able to find the DBLNTSC excutable in the .lha from aminet. I just took the one in the storage/devs/monitor folder

Last edited by kublai; 28 April 2019 at 03:49.
Old 28 April 2019, 20:29   #19
kublai

So it looks like there\s something with my A1200 that BB2 doesn't like. I installed a fresh OS3.9 from CD onto my SDcard. I installed BB1 and everything still boots. When I installed BB2 with ROM Update, next reboot I get a red screen covering my whole screen and I can't do anything. When I installed BB2 WITHOUT the ROM Update it boots fine.
Old 30 April 2019, 11:56   #20
tech3475

Quote:
Originally Posted by kublai View Post
So it looks like there\s something with my A1200 that BB2 doesn't like. I installed a fresh OS3.9 from CD onto my SDcard. I installed BB1 and everything still boots. When I installed BB2 with ROM Update, next reboot I get a red screen covering my whole screen and I can't do anything. When I installed BB2 WITHOUT the ROM Update it boots fine.
It's scsi.device which is the problem as it happened to me.

Try adding near the top LoadModule Devs:scsi.device (making sure it reboots) and then use the SKIPROMUPDATE for scsi.device after that.

I used one of the scsi.devices from the CWB folder which has large partition support, IIRC one of them caused a Guru while another worked but I don't remember which one.

Check the rest of the startup-sequence though, because I think I commented out a part as it also loaded some drive drivers but I ended up adding it further up due to the BB2 issue.

Unfortunately I wont be anywhere near my Amiga for a couple of weeks to check my exact script.

Last edited by tech3475; 30 April 2019 at 12:04.