English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 16 March 2018, 14:19   #1
DreamT_2018

AmigaOS 3.9 / 4xEIDE´99 install procedure and recommendations

Hi (first post, yay!),

I have a towerized A1200 with a 20GB HDD (as primary master) and a CD-ROM on the secondary master, connected to an Elbox 4xEIDE'99. I've been running AmigaOS3.1 on this setup for "ages" with the following partition setup:

DH0 (system) -> 2GB
DH1 (applications) -> 9GB
DH2 (games) -> 9GB

, and it has worked great. I Also had the software for 4xEIDE installed (from the floppy that was shipped with the interface).

Recently I purchased AmigaOS 3.9, and because of that my current setup was a bit cluttered I decided that I wanted to do a clean install. I formatted all of the partitions and installed OS3.9 on DH0. Worked fine. Then I started to install the Boing Bags, and got in trouble after installing #2 ("Cannot open "scsi. device" at Unit 2"), which meant that I couldn't use the CD-ROM. I then installed the EIDE'99 software again. It solved the problem with the CDROM, but instead I got problems with read errors on the HDD instead (which, if I've read it correctly, is related to a problem with scsci.device as well).

So, now I want to "start clean" and reinstall everything from scratch again, and I want to do it in the "right" way. I've read a lot about the problems mentioned above, and maybe I can solve them by myself. But, I really want som advice on how to do it in the best way as possible. I would like the following:

- A step-by-step guide on how to reinstall my copy of AmigaOS 3.9 and to get i as updated as possible (with all Boing Bags installed).
- Recommendations on the best filesystem to used based on the OS and partition setup I mention above.

Do anyone of you have any input on this? Although my goal is to get my setup to work, I'd also want to learn something in the process, so i'd gladly accept recommendation on why and why not things :-)

Thank you in advance!
Old 16 March 2018, 18:35   #2
daxb

First you need to decide/know if you want to use OS3.9 scsi.device or EIDE'99.
Old 16 March 2018, 19:34   #3
DreamT_2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
First you need to decide/know if you want to use OS3.9 scsi.device or EIDE'99.

Yes, I’d like to get some recommendations there. . What is the best option regarding my setup?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Old 17 March 2018, 01:55   #4
DreamT_2018

Ok, so now tonight I tried to install the system again.
1. I partitioned the drives as before, now with the PFS3aio file system.
2. Installed AmigaOS 3.9.
3. Installed BoingBag #1.
4. Installed BoingBag #2. Got the problem "Cannot open "scsi. device" at Unit 2" on reboot.
5. Installed the latest version of EIDE'99 in an attempt to gain access to the CD-ROM drive again. On reboot I get

"Device DH1:
ALERT:
Wrong ablock id 00000000 block 14062".

...and after that Workbench tries to load but freezes in the middle of the process.

If i reboot with the emergency floppy the problem with the harddrive as described above doesn't happen. Makes me wonder if this has to do with a wrongly patched scsi.device or similar.

I've tried to solve it, much similar to what's described here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63245

Any ideas?
Old 17 March 2018, 07:29   #5
thomas

How do you access the CD drive (for example to install OS 3.9) before you install the EIDE'99 software?

With the latest version of the OS you should use the latest version of the EIDE software, too. http://www.elbox.com/downloads_4xeide.html
Old 17 March 2018, 09:06   #6
DreamT_2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
How do you access the CD drive (for example to install OS 3.9) before you install the EIDE'99 software?

With the latest version of the OS you should use the latest version of the EIDE software, too. http://www.elbox.com/downloads_4xeide.html
I did it like this:

1. Booted the computer on the Workbench 3.1 floppy.
2. Inserted the EIDE'disk and loaded the driver.
3. Ran the HDToolbox (from the OS3.9 emergency floppy which now could find the CD drive-
4. Rebooted the computer on the OS3.9 emergency floppy and partitioned the HDD (the computer did now the CD drive. After another reboot i installed OS3.9 (still with the CD driwe being mounted of course).

I installed the latest version from the Elbox site, so it should be the versions you're pointing to. However, when I loaded the driver on 2. above, I used the driver on the supplied floppy (I don't know if that makes a difference? Maybe it was memory resident or so?
Old 17 March 2018, 10:04   #7
thomas

Is the EIDE driver installed reset-proof or do you need to run it after every reboot?

If it is reset-proof you should switch off the computer for each reboot, so that you know exactly when it gets lost.

Because BB2 seems to be the culprit till now, when you are asked whether you want to install the ROM update, you should opt to 'no'. You can still activate it later if you wish to.
Old 17 March 2018, 18:43   #8
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I have the same issue with BB2 - although I'm using IDEFix rather than EIDE. You can skip the BB2 scsi.device update by altering the setpatch line to read:

Code:
SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET
This stops SetPatch trying to update the scsi.device which EIDE will already have updated.

Note: you may already have other stuff in the SetPatch line, so let us know if you need a hand to make sense of it!
Old 18 March 2018, 00:23   #9
DreamT_2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Is the EIDE driver installed reset-proof or do you need to run it after every reboot?<br />
<br />
If it is reset-proof you should switch off the computer for each reboot, so that you know exactly when it gets lost.<br />
<br />
Because BB2 seems to be the culprit till now, when you are asked whether you want to install the ROM update, you should opt to 'no'. You can still activate it later if you wish to.
<br />
<br />
It's reset-proof in the way that the secondary channel still is active after reboot even if the driver isn't loaded (which I guess is the definition of &quot;reset-proof&quot; :-D).<br />
<br />
I think that the EIDE'99 was the culprit in this case. I did the following tests tonight:<br />
<br />
1. Loaded the EIDE'99-driver like before (via emergency disk)-&gt;Installed OS3.9-&gt;Installed EIDE'99-&gt;Installed BoingBag1-&gt;Installed BoingBag2 _without_ ROM update = Got the same HDD error as before.<br />
<br />
2. Switched the EIDE'99 for IDEFIX on the emergency disk-&gt;did the same procedure as above = Worked. I could even enable BB2 now. Everything seemed to work as it should now. BUT, then I did another mistake (as it seems). I installed BoingBags3&amp;4. Now I got another problem, DH1 and DH2 (27 and 28GB in size) showed up as &quot;Not a DOS disk&quot;!. The system partition (2 GB in size) seems to work as it should though. (All of the partitions are using PFS3aio).<br />
<br />
What have i done wrong this time? Does this have to do with large disk support? Do I need to patch scsi.device? Should I never have loaded the BB2 ROM after all (i.e. if this was a secondary effect of that)? Any ideas?<br />
<br />
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
I have the same issue with BB2 - although I'm using IDEFix rather than EIDE. You can skip the BB2 scsi.device update by altering the setpatch line to read:<br />
<br />
Code:
SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES &quot;scsi.device&quot; QUIET
This stops SetPatch trying to update the scsi.device which EIDE will already have updated.<br />
<br />
Note: you may already have other stuff in the SetPatch line, so let us know if you need a hand to make sense of it!
<br />
<br />
(I switched to Idefix before I read this). The BoingBags3&amp;4 added that line for me (with more devices included actually). I will post the complete line here if necessary, but now it seems like I have other problems. :-/
Old 18 March 2018, 14:16   #10
DreamT_2018

I narrowed down the problem a bit..It seems to be related to the BB2 ROM anyway.

- if I enable BB2 the problem persists (the 2 larger partitions shows up as NDOS)

- If I disable it, by renaming “Amiga OS ROM Update” to “Amiga OS ROM Update.bak” and renaming the old BB1 ROM file to “Amiga OS ROM Update” it works again.

However, when using BB2, “SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES “scsi.device” “ doesn’t seem to work, it gives the same error. So it seems that something else in BB2 isn’t compatible with my setup?

(Should also add that the tests above are done on a reinstall+BB1 and 2. BB3/4 aren’t installed.)
Old 18 March 2018, 23:27   #11
Zooup1972

Hi
How I did this was to set everything up on winuae
Including boing bags1 and 2.
Put in Elbox e99 software in storage on workbench.
Transfer hdd to Amiga and on first boot hold both mouse
Buttons down to early boot and select boot only the bootable partition!
Go to storage and run EIDE 99 software
Then do a hard reset.[power off and restart]..
Not sure but you may have to edit start up sequence
With something like c:setpatch skipromuldates SCSI. Device
Hope this helps